FEBE 7.0 and CLEO 5.0 wishlist

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

FEBE 7.0 and CLEO 5.0 wishlist

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:32 pm

Milestone updates for FEBE and CLEO are underway. I am asking all users to post any changes/enhancements they would like to see in the new release. Here's the list so far:
  • Provide a "One-click" full profile restore button. This function will automatically create a new profile (named something like "FEBE Profile restore mm/dd/yyyy") in the default directory and restore the last full profile backup. This is in response to less-technical users complaining the current full profile restore method is too complicated.
  • A more comprehensive "verify backups" process. Right now, FEBE only verifies that a backup file was created. It does not actually read the contents of the backup to make sure each item is a valid, restorable object. Since this can potentially greatly increase the time required to perform the backup, it will be provided as an option.
  • The ability to view the contents of a full profile backup. Information like filenames, size, and modified date can be useful in determining if a particular full restore is applicable.
  • An option to ignore backing up the phishing database. This file can grow very large, very quickly. Since this file is rebuilt as you browse, it does not really make sense to bloat a backup with it.
  • The ability to merge restored data instead of always overwriting it. For instance, it would be nice when restoring bookmarks to only add those items that are not already there.
  • An option to backup/restore cookie exceptions (hostperm.1)

What else would you like to see in the next release?
Last edited by cbaker_admin on Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby new_user » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:40 am

hi chuck,

it would be great if febe autoclears its preferences, when needed, especially as after upgrading.

in fact, some times i don't clear the preferences after upgrading, and it still works fine.

so i believe, if it's absolutely necessary to clear prefs after each upgrade, then febe can do it automactically, and inform the user.

maybe, even provide a copy of previous preferences to refer to.

ps: this isn't a major problem for me, but i guess people would appreciate it, if it's technically feasible.

thanks
new_user

Wishlist

Postby Fr. Frog » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:29 pm

How about being able to back up the hostperm.1 file (cookie exceptions)?
Fr. Frog

cookie exceptions

Postby SPwRnWKYgLE8RDN » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Hello

I'm interested in backing up and restoring 'cookie exceptions', as well.

Thank you

James
SPwRnWKYgLE8RDN

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:04 pm

@new_user:
To avoid the "FEBE wiped out my preferences!" complaints, I think I'll just display a nag screen until the user does it themselves.

@Fr. FROG and SPwRnWKYgLE8RDN
Good idea ... It's now on the list :)
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Backup certain items

Postby fgump » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:36 pm

I would like to suggest a new feature for backing up individual items in Firefox with FEBE.

Instead of having "Full Backup" and "Quick Backup" menu items, remove the "Quick Backup" and call it "Custom Backup". That would open a window similar to "Quick Backup" where a user can simply select the things they want to backup at that very moment (not what they have defined for a Full Backup). Thus they can select the extensions (and combine into one XPI), as you have now, or perhaps just backup their Bookmarks or a profile. They can also select if they want to backup to a new folder (as defined in the Directory settings) or specify an existing folder (perhaps to merge or overwrite) the backup there.

I have created a "User Defined Backup" to backup my cookie exceptions, but since you know what this file is, instead of any nag screen, why not add it as an option?

Hope you will consider these changes. I think most of the code for them is already written. All you have to do is re-do the GUI a little bit to call the code you already have.

Best Regards,

FGump
fgump

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:06 am

Instead of replacing "Quick Backup", I could just expand it to include items other than only extensions/themes.

I will be including cookie exemptions in the next release. The "nag" screen was in reference to new_user's "febe autoclears its preferences" suggestion.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby happy-dude » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Hey Chuck, I was just wondering how things were going with FEBE 6.3 (and 7.0!!) ?

I'm using 6.3 beta ATM, but I definitely want to wait for a final version release before I do another backup...

I would like there be a way to disable sliding popups. Its a nice effect, but sometimes doesn't display well (especially on older and slower machines)-- can't there just be maybe a generic popup screen from FF?

Might there also be skinning support for FEBE :D ? (Or is that too unnecessary/ creates too much overhead/ introduces memory leaks..?)

Additionally, although I think the *FEBE icon is status bar appearing* issue is fixed, I do sometimes see it pop up before FF is completely loaded (like, double click FF, its loading, pops up, see FEBE in status bar for a second and then its gone). It's mostly aesthetic, but it would be nice for it to not draw the eye like that ;) .

I actually think that if FEBE and CLEO become more streamlined and modular (in a self-updating and managing manner) that it can be similar to Mozilla Weave. Of course, your addons are mainly for Backup (and not incremental update), but it's certainly something you can mimic ;) .

All in all, keep up the good work :D !!
happy-dude

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:03 pm

FEBE 6.3 final will be released this week (probably tomorrow). Just waiting on the last of the translations.

There is already an option to disable slider alerts. See FEBE Options > Misc > Message alert styles.

Skinning would definitely add to the size of FEBE (which is already approaching 900kb - fairly large as extensions go). There are some people using Stylish to skin FEBE, though. See this and (for a really cool glass skin ... this).

I've done just about all I can do with the status bar issue. With all the code used to determine the "controlling" window concept, I'm just happy it works at all :wink: .

Not exactly sure what you mean by "more streamlined and modular". Could you give me an example?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby happy-dude » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:36 pm

From what I can gather, Mozilla Weave is an addon that syncs profile changes (especially useful for Bookmarks and Awesome Bar suggestions).

It doesn't do whole profiles at once, but incrementally as in as changes are made.

Though... Now that I think about it... FEBE does have that with selective backups. Probably missed that because I usually do full backups ;) .

Just keep up the good work :D !!
happy-dude

Looking forward to version 7.0

Postby fgump » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:14 am

Instead of replacing "Quick Backup", I could just expand it to include items other than only extensions/themes.

That would be perfect! Thank you. I hope we see that in version 7.0.

I will be including cookie exemptions in the next release.

Great! That is very helpful.

The "nag" screen was in reference to new_user's "febe autoclears its preferences" suggestion.

Sorry for the the confusion on that one. The nag screen makes perfect sense in that case.

Thanks again for all your time and work you put into FEBE!

Best Regards,

FGump
fgump

Option to limit compressed file size to 25M.

Postby TheDesigner » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:43 am

Box.it does not allow file sizes over 25M. If a compressed file (or any file) could be broken down into 25M parts.
TheDesigner

Include OPIE functionality in FEBE

Postby masfaw » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:00 pm

Chuck, I am a new convert from IE to Firefox, and its add-ons like yours that makes Firefox great. Excellent job. :D

You have added CLEO functionality to FEBE to simplify profile (full) backups. This is a great feature. Would it be possible to add OPIE functionality to FEBE as well?

The idea is to keep a backup of my preference settings in sync with my backup of extensions (add-ons). Since OPIE does not have a scheduler like FEBE, currently I have to manually run OPIE after a FEBE backup.

It would be really cool to FEBE had the option to automatically backup and restore preference settings in addition to extensions and themes.

Thanks,
-Mike
masfaw

Backup on startup/shutdown schedule

Postby masfaw » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:40 pm

I like the idea of doing a backup on Firefox shutdown. But it is only practical for me if I can set an exempt time period. Basically, what I am asking is to include the following option for "startup/shutdown" backups.

"Only backup if user specified hours have passed since last backup."

The user provides the hours (e.g. 24 hours, etc.). If the user enters 0 hours, then the system behaves as it does now.

Thanks,
-Mike
masfaw

Actual Profile Name in Febe Backup

Postby milt2009 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:29 am

Hello Chuck.

I don't know if is it possible (but I search for and not find about it) to mark automatically the backup folder with the name of the actual profile. Something similar to the options to insert the date . I think it would be good for find the right profile to restore very quickly.

Thanks
milt2009

Next

Return to FEBE/CLEO