FEBE 7.0 and CLEO 5.0 wishlist

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE 7.0 and CLEO 5.0 wishlist

Postby koehler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi Chuck,

New user, and thought I'd say your extension is really an excellent tool.
I do have a request, which may already be solved, however...

I normally make back-ups and use gMail and other physical media for storage.
When making backups, I noticed the Results .html file has the creation date/time in it. However, the .xpi and .fbu do not.
I believe it would be much cleaner if the extension would add the creation date/time to the .xpi and .fbu as well.

I just read that one is able to set time-stamped directory for back-ups with-in FEBE which in some ways solves this problem.
I would prefer to have a single directory if possible though, any chance you might consider this request?
koehler

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm not sure I understand your request exactly. When a backup is performed, all the files created should have a creation date that reflects the time of backup. I just looked at my last backup and every entry was dated 04/28/2010 5:15 AM. Does yours show something different?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby shloim » Tue May 04, 2010 1:18 am

Hi,

I'd like an option to backup my toolbar customization
View --> Toolbars --> Customize
I change most of my FF look (adding toolbars, showing Icons and Text etc.) and have no way of backing that up.

Thanks!
shloim

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue May 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Your toolbar customizations are contained in the file localstore.rdf. It is always part of a full profile backup and therefore will always be written with a full profile restore.

The reason it is not available as a selective backup option is because it should not be restored to any profile that it did not originate from. If you were to backup localstore.rdf from Profile-A and restore it to Profile-B (and Profile-B was not an exact duplicate of Profile-A) the entire Firefox browser layout could be corrupted.

To avoid the issue of having to explain to users why FEBE destroyed their Firefox, I thought it would just be better to not have this as an option.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby shloim » Wed May 05, 2010 4:28 am

well... thanks for the quick reply!
shloim

FEBE freezing Firefox; Cleo menu location

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:55 am

Regarding CLEO, its FAQ should specify that its location on the Tools menu is as a submenu under FEBE.

Regarding FEBE, its startup screen should not refer to the possibility that Firefox "may" freeze. Instead, this totally counter-intuitive situation should be explained clearly. There should be an advisory which says, "WHEN FEBE IS FUNCTIONING PROPERLY, THERE IS NO MOVEMENT IN THIS WINDOW BECAUSE FIREFOX SEEMS TO BRIEFLY FREEZE WHILE FEBE IS OPERATING PROPERLY. IF YOU SEE MOVEMENT IN THIS WINDOW, THAT MEANS THAT FEBE IS NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. IF YOU SEE MOVEMENT ON THIS SCREEN, THERE MAY BE A SEPARATE FIREFOX ALERT WINDOW WITH A MESSAGE, such as that a script has not completed. Look for separate message windows if this FEBE window shows motion."
Phoebe

Postby signe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Please, please, please, please, please...

Add an "Ignore" or "Skip" button to the backup reminder.

I use FEBE as one way of maintaining a synchronized profile between my desktop and my laptop (beyond bookmarks/etc. that things like Weave and XMarks can support).

I have my desktop set up to remind me weekly to backup my profile.

Because of this, whenever I restore a profile to my laptop, I end up getting reminders to backup the profile on the laptop, which isn't what I want. I either have to go into FEBE settings and disable the reminder completely, or just deal with the fact that evertime I launch a new browser window, it's unusable until after I close the modal FEBE reminder.

A "Skip" or "Ignore" button would allow me to skip the current reminder... act as if the backup happened and just stop reminding me everytime I launch.
signe

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Are you talking about the missed scheduled backup or the generic backup reminder? Because the missed scheduled backup reminder does have a checkbox for "Do not remind me again this session". Also, clicking "Cancel" in that window turns off the scheduling altogether.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm

Great extension!

My wish list item.

No spaces in the 'Timestamp directory format:' selections. It's always wise to avoid spaces in file names.

Examples:
FEBE_YYYY-MM-DDThh.mm.ss
FEBE_YYYY-MM-DD_hh.mm.ss
FEBE-YYYYMMDD-hhmmss
chrisretusn

Postby papi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Hello and congratulations for febe.

I want a programing option for creating a backup every time any of my Firefox extensions get an update.

Thank you for your time.
papi

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:09 pm

That sounds reasonable. I'll look into how feasible it is.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Philip Goddard » Wed May 11, 2011 12:29 pm

I would like to second the request made earlier in this thread, for a user-definable 'exempt' or 'no action' period to modify the 'backup on browser shutdown' (and indeed browser startup) option. I would prefer to have FEBE carry out its backups on browser shutdown, but not more than once a week. This option appears not to have been implemented in FEBE 7 yet, and I would really like it.
Philip Goddard

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon May 23, 2011 12:48 pm

I'll put that on my list.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Martinb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:40 pm

I don't know if this forum is being monitored anymore, but I really love FEBE. Is there any chance it will be updated for Firefox 5?
Martinb

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:30 pm

FEBE 7.0beta6 is Fx 5.0 compatible.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO