FEBE 7.0 and CLEO 5.0 wishlist

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 am

FEBE 7.0 will have a "Backup history" report that will list the backup destination directory, timestamp, and profile name. Would this work for you?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby milt2009 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:25 am

cbaker_admin wrote:FEBE 7.0 will have a "Backup history" report that will list the backup destination directory, timestamp, and profile name. Would this work for you?

I see. This will be very useful. But, if you want to restore from another partition or another computer? I think that the profile name (like option) in the backup folder title will be too a useful option. I do an example for better comprension:

I rename some backups from my folder, and added the name of the profiles, from which they was mades, manually. I mean something like this but by option in FEBE.

Thank you very much
milt2009

Import/Export settings, please

Postby makondo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:53 am

I like using FEBE, thank you! But this one thing has been bugging me for a while now: it's recommended to clear your prefs with every update and yet, there's no option to save your settings to a location (Import/Export). So, every time ext. updates, we have to clear everything, restart and then set it all over again.
I'm pretty sure we had this conversation a few years ago and you explained it to me why it's needed in the first place (the settings clearing) but i just can't remember now and hope things have changed since then (?) :wink:
Could you please add Import/Export setting? TIA!
makondo

Re: FEBE 7.0 and CLEO 5.0 wishlist

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:12 pm

If the truth be told, it is not usually absolutely necessary to clear preferences after every update. If it does need to be done, it is normally only after upgrading a major version (i.e., v5.x to v6.x). The reason I suggest to do it on the after-install welcome splash page is twofold: (1) It may be required with that particular upgrade, and (2) It doesn't hurt to do it anyway.

Since FEBE has been translated into over 30 languages, it isn't really practical to change the text on the welcome page after every update.

Of course, you could always use OPIE to import/export the FEBE preferences :wink:
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby qwwerty » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:07 am

Hi. Firstly this is a great extension, so thanks.

I really like most of what FEBE does, but I would like to be able to keep an older backup. FEBE currently backs up my profile daily, and keeps the two most recent backups. But I would like to also keep an older backup (EG At least a month old), so if something breaks I have more time to catch it before I overwrite both files. Currently I have to remember to do this manually each month.

Secondly, the ability to schedule backups of different parts of my profile on different days would be nice. For example my extensions rarely change, so backing them up weekly or monthly would be fine. This would probably speed up FEBE, and would take up less space, or only backing them up when I add or remove one (not when they update) would also be great.

Finally, could you change how the Results page displays. I want to know that FEBE has run, but I find the result page intrusive. If you could have it display a message (like the "Do you want to remember this password?" thing) instead that would be great.

These are all just really little improvements, mostly me being picky. Thanks again for a great extension.
qwwerty

Postby justin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:04 pm

PLEASE add support for other offsite file hosting providers or at minimum the option for FTP/SFTP/WebDAV hosts.

Box.net is okay, but I can't seem to keep my backups below 25MB.

Thanks,
Justin
justin

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:03 pm

@qwwerty:

FEBE will store backup for as long as you like. In FEBE Options > Directory, set "Minimum backup directories to keep" to whatever you like. Setting it to zero will keep the backups forever.

I've thought about adding different backup profiles but ultimately decided against it thinking it may be too complicated for the average user Perhaps I should revisit the idea and have an "Advanced" tab in options to allow the more esoteric features.

You can have the results page display in a detail or summary format in FEBE Options > Options > Display results page. I'll consider adding a third option for "Pop-up message" in a future release.

@justin:
If your WebDAV implementation assigns a drive letter, it an be used as a backup destination. For other options, see this thread.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby qwwerty » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks for your reply.

I know that I can save lots of backups, but I would like to be able to store the two most recent and one older backup (just in case) without taking up to much disk room (more on my netbook, it only got a small ssd drive). As I said this is just me being really picky, and I'm already really happy with the extension as it is.
qwwerty

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:43 am

Try this:
  1. Turn off "Use timestamped directories". Also make sure "Clear destination directory" is off.
  2. Perform a backup (this will be the "long term" backup).
  3. Turn on "Use timestamped directories" and set "Maximum directories to keep" to "2".

This way you will always have the two most current backups and one "emergency" backup.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby dobeys » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:58 pm

Has there been any work in getting FEBE to work in SongBird yet.

Really like this application with Firefox and would like to have it in SongBird if possible.
dobeys

Postby toy4fun » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 pm

From your FAQ - "FEBE can schedule a backup on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Of course, Firefox must be running for the backup to take place."
Couldn't FEBE run while Firefox is not? like a regular scheduled task?

Thanks,
Eyal
toy4fun

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:22 pm

No ... FEBE depends upon code that is available only when Firefox is running. - as do most (if not all) Firefox extensions.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ugoveri » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:10 am

Hi there Chuck! Long time no see! Effectively all the development being done so far since the early ages is fine for me, so there was no need to say anything :)

For the wish list, don't know if anybody has said anything about that but, since in firefox 3.6 and up there can be personas themes installed, I would like to have the option to back them up in the future. If possible even in FEBE 6.

Anyway, continue the good work.

Best regards,

ugoveri (Hugo Veríssimo)
ugoveri

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Hugo. I will include it in the FEBE 7.0 release (if I can figure out where Personas are kept ...)
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Nyuszika7H » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:39 am

Hi!
It would be very good if FEBE would backup my profile before installing, updating and uninstalling add-ons. This should be customized, e.g. to skip backup on updates. Firefox would install the add-on in the usual way, but when clicking Restart, FEBE would perform a backup, and maybe alert before it, like it does currently at startup/shutdown.

Another feature that I'd like to see in FEBE 7.0 that is providing custom names for directories, with or without timestamp, e.g.:

[FEBE 2010-04-28 13:55] Installed Tab Mix Plus
Installed Tab Mix Plus

And see the format in the example? I'd like to customize it like that using the php date() function.
Nyuszika7H

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO