FEBE Results Report hangs - Disabling sound fixes

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE Results Report hangs - Disabling sound fixes

Postby Vocalpoint » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:08 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Running FEBE Options > Advanced > Clear FEBE preferences should fix that. In fact, I'd recommend running that every time there is a major upgrade to FEBE or Firefox. It removes old, unneeded, and conflicting preferences.

Chuck,

Thanks! It's all good now...no errors and the results page displays correctly.

Cheers,

VP
Vocalpoint

Postby pinkprose » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 am

I'm still having problems with the report phase hanging and freezing - it's been going on 2-3 months since there was an update (a couple of updates since then have not resolved this problem).

I'm on FEBE 7.0.3.2 and using Firefox 9.0.1 in Windows XP SP3.
pinkprose

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 am

Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Web Developer > Error Console)? Please install the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences", "Verify extension directory" and "Check AddonManager functionality" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Advanced.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again) examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby pinkprose » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 am

Thank you. Clearing stuff seems to have done the trick so I didn't need to clear the error console. *happy bunny*
pinkprose

Postby pmshah » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:36 pm

This problem is not limited to the Linux version. It behaves the same under Windows too. I tried the "disable sound" without sucess.

I have even gone so far as disabled the preparation of results page. It still remains in perpetual loop with the same message. Mind you IT DOES do a proper job of backing up and saving the data as per the setup options. Only the progress windows does not exit !
pmshah

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:50 am

I tried the "disable sound" without sucess.

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps posted above?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad`Dib » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Running FEBE v7.0.3.2 (just updated to this FEBE) on Firefox portable v10.0.2 on Windows XP Pro. The update reminded me to perform a backup (which I also haven't done in awhile).

Running a selective backup with Display Results Page enabled and "Detail" check. Backup happens (I check the destination directory), but then FEBE displays "Preparing results page" and the progress bar just keeps moving (for over 20 minutes, last time I let it run until I clicked Abort). Choosing "Summary" results page lets FEBE finish normally.

BTW, trying a Full Profile backup results in the same thing (backup finishes, but then FEBE hangs while Preparing results page, again it only hangs when Detail results are enabled).

BTW #2, disabling sound doesn't help any.

Looking at the error console (with Console² v0.9 installed), I get the following (it's the same error that Vocalpoint posted on Sept 5th 2011):
Error: febeBuItemVerifiedList[key] is undefined
Source file: chrome://febe/content/febe.js
Line: 844
if(febeVerifyBackups == true) item.verified = febeBuItemVerifiedList[key].verified;

Any suggestions to what I can do to get the Detail results to work?

NOTE: I'm more than willing to try and "Clear FEBE preferences", but is there a way to save my current preferences to a file (or even a printout) before I do this, so that I don't have to manually write them all down (in order to restore them to their previous settings)? I haven't changed my prefs in quite sometime, and I don't even remember why I had set up some of them originally, but they've worked and I'd like avoid having to rethink all my decisions. Or will Restore Preferences from a previous save solve that problem for me?

M`D
Muad`Dib

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:13 pm

The solution to the "febeBuItemVerifiedList[key] is undefined" error is indeed to Clear FEBE preferences in FEBE Options > Advanced > Tools. There is an option in that pane to export FEBE options. You should do that first then import them after you clear. I can't guarantee that importing will not re-introduce the error (I've never tried it in this situation) but it won't hurt to try. Worse case you'll just have to set them again.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad`Dib » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:26 pm

The following error message occured upon restoring my FEBE preferences (after clearing them and restarting Firefox)
extensions.febe.tmpSpecifyDirectory

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getComplexValue]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js :: febeGetUnicharPref :: line 172" data: no]

Also this did not fix the "Preparing results page..." lock up (with the same error code posted earlier on line 844). So unless you can tell what I explicitly need to fix from my above error messages, I'll either have to clear FEBE Prefs and then manually re-enter them (or be happy with a Summary results page).

Update - I looked at my FEBE's Pref .json file and looked for the extensions.febe.tmpSpecifyDirectory line. Here is that line:

{"name":"extensions.febe.tmpSpecifyDirectory","type":"STRING","value":"(Not set)"}

I'm noticing that this is the only line with the string (Not set) (all other lines with a null value simply have two quote marks with nothing within). I'm wondering if editing that line by removing the (Not set) (but leaving the quotes) might fix things. If I try it, I'll make a copy first, but I'll wait a bit for your input.

M`D
Last edited by Muad`Dib on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muad`Dib

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Does the error still occur before you restore FEBE preferences? If not, it looks like that is the fix you'll need to use. There are not really all that many preferences to have to set again. Of the approximately 105 FEBE prefs, I would imagine only a dozen or so are user set. With the exception of Backup destination directory which must be user-set, the FEBE default values should work right out of the box. If you have a large number of user-defined backups set up, they can be restored from your last selective backup. (FEBE data{profileName}-febeUserDefinedBuData.json)
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad`Dib » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Chuck, See my update above your post (I edited while you were replying).

And I haven't yet tried the backup before restoring my prefs (if I do, I'll let you know the results).

M`D
Muad`Dib

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:46 pm

The pref extensions.febe.tmpSpecifyDirectory has not been used since FEBE v5.0. The Clear FEBE preferences routine was written to remove these no longer used preferences.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad`Dib » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 am

Clear FEBE preferences worked (and I wrote down all my FEBE choices so that I could manually restore them). However, I've encountered a 2nd problem, which I'm going to post in a new thread (since it's probably not related to the problems I had mentioned here). Thanks & stay tuned!
Muad`Dib

Previous

Return to FEBE/CLEO