FEBE Results Report hangs - Disabling sound fixes

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

FEBE Results Report hangs - Disabling sound fixes

Postby tom-ipp » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi,
I used febe to upgrade from fedora11 to fedora12.
I had some problem with the dialog hanged during report preparation.
Looking at the console, the problem is due to sound :
Erreur : uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISound.play]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js :: febePlaySound :: line 650" data: no]
I just removed the sound option and everything went fine.
It's fedora12, firefox 3.5.5 and FEBE 6.3.2
Post that if it can help someone else.
Thomas
tom-ipp

Re: Hang after backup on prepare report

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks for the report. I'll change the title of this thread so others with a similar problem may find it easier.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Sound issues on *nix (Fedora) - hangs on report

Postby tom-ipp » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Hi,
I just see your post.
I disagree with your title which can lead to be understood as some sound support in linux is broken for febe.
It seems the bug is in one variable java not filled with data.
Maybe we should title "html report in loop because of sound alert - disable sound alert on linux"
Thanks and bravo pour votre travail avec febe, well done
Thomas
tom-ipp

Re: FEBE Results Report hangs - Disabling sound fixes

Postby galenwhite00 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm using Linux Ubuntu 9.10; I've upgraded to firefox 3.6 with the FEBE add-on 6.3.debug, I noticed that FEBE hung just prior to its report generation stage. In looking at firefox's error console I saw:-

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISound.play]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js :: febePlaySound :: line 651" data: no]

So I unticked the "Play sound" option in the list of FEBE options and this seemed to by pass this problem. I hope this problem can be fixed some day, as it's a great little add-on.
galenwhite00

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Can you play .wav files? That's what FEBE uses.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby HenryGR » Mon May 31, 2010 1:18 am

@Chuck:
Same issue happens to me. I am running Kubuntu 10.04, Firefox 3.6.3 and FEBE 6.3.3.2
So far, I am able to track the issue up to the following error (As per Console2):
Error: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISound.play]
Source file: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js
Line: 650

Which indicates (error line in bold red):

function febePlaySound(which){
febePlaySounds = febePrefs.getBoolPref("extensions.febe.playSounds");
if(febePlaySounds == false){return;}
var gSound = Cc["@mozilla.org/sound;1"].createInstance(Ci.nsISound);
var ioService = Cc["@mozilla.org/network/io-service;1"].getService(Ci.nsIIOService);
var soundURL = "chrome://febe/content/sounds/"+which+".wav";
var url = ioService.newURI(soundURL, null, null);
gSound.init();
gSound.play(url);
return true;
}//febePlaySound()

My configuration is to play wav file by means of the ALSA Player and, I also tried using the XINE pluggin, neither way, it works.
ALSAPlayer and XINE both work correctly.
HenryGR

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:37 pm

Please see this thread.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby viking » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:00 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Please see this thread.

The URL to the trread is broken :-(

FEBE report results hangs for me as well (Using FF 3.6.13 & FEBE 6.3.3.2). I tried disabling the Sounds in the Options, but the report still hangs.
I only Backed up (all) Additional Items (no extensions).

Note that I when I create a new profile, and repeat the process, there is no problem. Thus, there appears to be an issue with the profile that I am trying to backup.
viking

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:09 pm

Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Error Console)? You may also want try the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences" and "Verify extension directory" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Misc.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again) examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby viking » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Error Console)? You may also want try the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences" and "Verify extension directory" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Misc.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again) examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.

1. No Errors in std console
2. Cleared Preferences
3. Verified OK

4. Tried again after clearing error console: No messages.... The progress bar keeps moving, but the results page never completes.

In any case, I created a New Profile, and Backup+Results page generation works there...
viking

Postby reiferreira » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:37 am

Hi, I'm using FEBE for a while and trying to use it on FF 4.01. I noticed that FEBE beta4 and beta5 are presenting the same issue: it hangs on the Results Report stage.
This is happening in both Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu 11.04 installations.
Is there any requirement to run this new version 7?
Thanks,
Reinaldo
reiferreira

Postby SpiritWolfe » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:48 pm

Hello:

Chuck I first want to say (since this is my first post, if my mind serves me right...usually does...but you know how THAT can be, right? :shock: ).... I loved FEBE since I first stumbled upon it a few years back! THANK YOU! For the countless hours and tireless effort you have put into your software and upkeep! 8)

Anywho...

Onto my issue / "snag" with FEBE 7.0 Beta 6....

I am running FEBE 7 Beta 6 with the following hardware ...

...and with the following Firefox 5 version and build number ...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0 ID:20110615151330

FEBE seems to be hanging on the Results Page that it is trying to create when it immediately finishes backing up the extensions of within my FF5 profile. :!:

I have tried all the different types of backup selections and they seem to all be working okay .... I installed, from your previous suggestion to someone else, Console² 0.8dev, however, in order to have it work the Addon Compatibility Checker v0.8.5 installed so that Firefox 5 could run the Add-On. I did not see any issues with FEBE 7 Beta 6 that would have resulted in a hang of that nature. However, I will have to admit I specifically searched for the FEBE word and I could not find any error or flag that would cause FEBE to hang in such a matter. However, there could very well be another issue within Firefox 5 that is causing FEBE 7 Beta 6 to hang (and for me to abort the process with the Abort Button) during the attempted screen printing of the Results Page.

Hope this helps other users with the same issues that I have with installing Firefox 5 and utilizing FEBE 7 Beta 6. At least I can report that despite the hang FEBE DOES COMPLETE THE BACKUP PROCESS to the backup directory of the user's choice.

Spirit Wolfe
SpiritWolfe

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Are you searching the error console for "FEBE" or "febe"? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the errors will usually be in lowercase.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Vocalpoint » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:30 am

Chuck,

I am getting this as well. Have disabled sound. Running FF 6.01 with FEBE 7.02.

Within the FF error console (Web Developer->Error Console)...I see this error:

Error: febeBuItemVerifiedList[key] is undefined
Source File: chrome://febe/content/febe.js
Line: 844

And here is the line where the error occurs:

if(febeVerifyBackups == true) item.verified = febeBuItemVerifiedList[key].verified;

It's the only error I see after clearing the console and then doing a FEBE backup.

I hope you can make some sense of it...

Thoughts?

VP
Vocalpoint

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:37 am

Running FEBE Options > Advanced > Clear FEBE preferences should fix that. In fact, I'd recommend running that every time there is a major upgrade to FEBE or Firefox. It removes old, unneeded, and conflicting preferences.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to FEBE/CLEO