"Unresponsive script" post thread

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

"Unresponsive script" post thread

Postby southdave » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 am

cbaker_admin wrote:*** Note to FEBE users ***
If you are experiencing the "Unresponsive script" warning when performing a backup, please see this thread.

Hi,

i have been happily running FEBE for a long time using a combination of manual, scheduled and shutdown methods without a problem until last night.

I upgraded my firefox (running on windows xp) from 3.5.6 to 3.6 (not the RC).

The progress box appears and then i get repeated unresponsive script messages indicating differnt lines in febezip.js and febe.js.

I read through the forum and tried a few things (reset settings, check error console - there was not messages) but to be avail.

Is anyone able to provide any help as this is one extension that i could not live without as it has saved my sanity several times in the last year.

regards,
Dave
southdave

Re: backup hanging since upgrading to firefox 3.6

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:46 am

Also try running "Verify extension directory" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Misc. There might be "leftovers" from the Fx upgrade.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby paulderdash » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:14 am

I appear to have the same issue as Dave. The profile backup does appear to have been created but the program window keeps running. If I abort I get the attached message:
Script: chrome://febe/content/febeZip.js:107 (stopped responding or busy ...).
On restart FEBE reminds me to backup so does not recognise the backup it has (I think) created ...
I have tried verifying extensions - and did in fact get an error which I allowed FEBE to fix.
Like Dave, this extension has saved me on several occasions ...

Rgds - Paul
Attachments
2010-01-24_104439.png
2010-01-24_104439.png (10.82 KiB) Viewed 16419 times
paulderdash

Postby imeiou » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:34 am

I have the same issue as well:

Script: chrome://febe/content/febeZip.js:62

Everything was just fine on FF 3.5.7. Upgrade to 3.6 broke it.

BTW, backup appears to have been created, but, upon close inspection, you realize it's a PARTIAL file. Its like it hung less than halfway through while adding extensions.

The check extensions feature lists this error:

***multifox@hultmann is not a valid GUID.***

I let FEBE remove it. No errors are reported anymore. And it still hangs just like before.
imeiou

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:16 am

I upgraded to Fx 3.6 yesterday and got a similar message when the scheduled backup performed this morning. I clicked "Continue" and the backup did complete. I have performed several manual backups since then and they all work fine (without the "Script is busy message").

You mention that you think your backup is partial. Are you getting a Results Report? FEBE does not generate that report unless the backup does indeed complete without errors (except those errors that are trapped and mentioned on the report). Try comparing a previous report with the current one to see if they are the same, more or less.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Norky » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:46 am

I am in the same boat after upgrading to FF 3.6.
I have run the verify extension directory and found no problems

The unresponsive script error I get is:Script: chrome://febe/content/febeZip.js:62
Norky

Postby imeiou » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:56 am

I mention partial, because after not letting the script continue (since it's not even consuming CPU, I assume it's just hung, deadlocked or smth), because the generated file is 1/6 the size of previous backups. And upon opening it, I see that it doesn't have everything in there (I'm performing full backups).

Also, the first time I saw the progress window hung this morning, it was about 7AM. FEBE is scheduled for 3AM. It had been there for a long time.
imeiou

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:09 am

Ok, I'd like to ask everyone for some help debugging this. Please install FEBE6.3.debug and run a backup. It will create a log of the items it is zipping. Depending on where the error is occurring, the log will display either the last backed up item or the item currently being backed up.

If you could would post the last item in the log, maybe we can figure out a common denominator. It would also be helpful if you can figure out what the next item on the log would be. I'm not even sure this is possible, but by looking in your profile directory you might be able to find which entry comes after the last one in the log.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby imeiou » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:53 am

Mine showed these last 3 lines:

\Users\<removed>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<removed>\extensions\greasefire@skrul.com\indexes
\Users\<removed>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<removed>\extensions\greasefire@skrul.com\indexes\exclude.dat
\Users\<removed>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<removed>\extensions\greasefire@skrul.com\indexes\include.dat

I guess the next files would be

info.ini
scripts.db

that sit on that same dir.

I then uninstalled Greasemonkey and Greasefire to see what would happen.

The progress window was still sitting still. Moving it around will show the standard firefox window for a script that is taking too long. Clicking continue on that window will finish things up. But, only manually clicking it. If I don't, things won't finish up by itself. Taking away all scheduled automation from the process.
imeiou

Postby Norky » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:58 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Ok, I'd like to ask everyone for some help debugging this. Please install FEBE6.3.debug and run a backup. It will create a log of the items it is zipping. Depending on where the error is occurring, the log will display either the last backed up item or the item currently being backed up.

If you could would post the last item in the log, maybe we can figure out a common denominator. It would also be helpful if you can figure out what the next item on the log would be. I'm not even sure this is possible, but by looking in your profile directory you might be able to find which entry comes after the last one in the log.

Here are mine from the log:

C:\Documents and Settings\removed\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\removed\extensions\LogMeInClient@logmein.com\plugins\LMIGuardianEvt.dll
C:\Documents and Settings\removed\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\removed\extensions\LogMeInClient@logmein.com\plugins\LMIProxyHelper.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\removed\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\removed\extensions\LogMeInClient@logmein.com\plugins\npRACtrl.dll

Not sure if I am looking at the right thing but in my Profile folder, the next item is moveplayer@movenetworks.com
Norky

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:56 pm

In aboug:config there is a preference called dom.max_chrome_script_run_time that controls how long Fx waits before giving the "Script is busy" message. The default value is 20 seconds. Let's try changing it to "60" to see if that will eliminate the problem.

Fx 3.6 is supposed to be much faster than 3.5.7, but maybe some things (like nsIZipWriter - the XPCOM component FEBE uses) are actually taking longer than before.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby imeiou » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:20 pm

That must be a magic number...

I did try changing that same configuration earlier. I was googling around and stumbled upon that. I changed it to 40. Didn't solve anything.

Then I came in here to check what ppl would be saying. I saw you mentioning it. Then I thought to myself... heck... let's balloon it up to 60, what do I have to lose? 60 solved it... lol ... I thought I would just stand here and see the progress window. Nope. Solved it.

It was really Fx getting in the way and HALTING the script until I let it continue.
imeiou

Postby Norky » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:55 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:In aboug:config there is a preference called dom.max_chrome_script_run_time that controls how long Fx waits before giving the "Script is busy" message. The default value is 20 seconds. Let's try changing it to "60" to see if that will eliminate the problem.

Fx 3.6 is supposed to be much faster than 3.5.7, but maybe some things (like nsIZipWriter - the XPCOM component FEBE uses) are actually taking longer than before.

I went ahead and made the change as suggested.

First backup still would hang with a script error but second and third subsequent backup went just fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now, I installed FEBE Debug as you has suggested earlier, can you tell me how I can go back to regular backups without that backup log box appearing on screen?
Norky

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Not that I would suggest it, but you can set that preference to "0" (zero) and Fx will never time out.

You can go back to FEBE 6.3.2 by installing it from either the FEBE Homepage or AMO.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Norky » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:00 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Not that I would suggest it, but you can set that preference to "0" (zero) and Fx will never time out.

You can go back to FEBE 6.3.2 by installing it from either the FEBE Homepage or AMO.

Thank you. FYI, I did switch back to FEBE 6.3.2 and was not able to complete the backup due to script errors coming up again even though I had made the change in about:config.

Reinstalled FEBE Debug and backup works just fine.
Norky

Next

Return to FEBE/CLEO