"Unresponsive script" post thread

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: "Unresponsive script" post thread

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm glad the problem disappeared for you. It still affects other users (not me, though ... that makes it hard to debug). I'm currently developing FEBE v8.0 which will be a major overhaul/re-write of all the code. Mozilla and javascript have come a long way since the first FEBE release and there are some things that can be re-done to make things more efficient. I'm just hoping that that will not introduce a whole new set of problems ... :wink:
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby cyrix » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for all you do. I don't know of any other Firefox extension that has such support.
cyrix

Postby SpottedDog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:32 am

I am trying to transfer my profile from my Linux machine (Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit) to a Win 7 (64) laptop and get the Unresponsive script error. If I chose option of continue or stop script it usually comes up with a window that says the profile has been restored but there are no changes to firefox so I don't think anything happened and there is no report page generated.
I have tried setting the about config setting to 60 , clearing preferences and verifying extension directory to no avail.I was able to do this the other way around from Win XP to Ubuntu but that was several versions of FEBE ago
SpottedDog

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

Are you able to open the Linux created profileFx4{profileName}.fbu file in Windows using a zip reader (like 7-zip)? If so, you can manually restore the profile.

... and there is no report page generated.

The restore process only displays a popup message, no report.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby SpottedDog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:34 pm

I am afraid it didn't work: bookmarks, history & plugins etc haven't changed. I am not overly concerned as I can probably transfer bookmarks manually, I was mainly after restoring plugins like my Ubuntu machine had but I would think there is likely some compatibility issues
SpottedDog

Postby SpottedDog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 pm

OK
On reboot Firefox has most of the old plugins (a few were incompatible) and it was just a matter of enabling them. My passwords, bookmarks and history have not been transferred. I am satisfied at this point

EDIT: I tried restoring my profile again because I realized after reading the tutorial on using FEBE that I was missing a step ; I didn't click on Firefox Start Options
Sorry this was entirely due to my misunderstanding, everything works great now (bookmarks, passwords, plugins,history etc)

FEBE is an excellent plugin :D :D
SpottedDog

Postby minderasr » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:43 pm

I had the same problem, using FF 14.01 on a Win XP Pro (SP3) machine. Turned out my FEBE backup folder permissions were read only. Changing that permission solved the issue.

Thanks for a great add-on!
minderasr

Postby Votapardo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:08 am

HI everyone

I have the problem "FEBE still "hangs" (and the progress bar moves continuously)". I did what the post said but the problem persists. The error console says:

Fecha y hora: 21/10/2012 16:04:13
Error: NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.isDirectory]
Archivo de origen: chrome://febe/content/febeZip.js
Línea: 94

I'm using 7.0.35 in Windows XP Professional 2002.

Thanks!
Votapardo

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:00 pm

I can't seem to find the "FEBE still "hangs" (and the progress bar moves continuously)" thread. What steps did you take to fix the problem?

At that point in the code, FEBE is trying to determine if an entry in the folder is a directory or not. What is the full pathname to your backup destination directory? Are there any entries in that directory that have names with "strange" characters in them? Provide a list if you can.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby khms » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:50 am

I've a number of different browser instances (all Linux, all should be fairly new versions). On most, FEBE runs just fine.

Two, however, have problems. It doesn't seem to be connected to the numb er of open tabs - one of the two has the most of any instance (several hundred), the other is almost but not quite the lowest number at maybe a dozen.

On the big one, symptoms are repeated script-unresponsive prompts (though the time-out should already be a minute), usually followed by an error like the attached - in this case, it's clearly session manager doing a clean up of its backups, but I think I've seen similar complaints about other extensions as well).

The other sometimes gives a similar error message, but often, the backup just seems to freeze most of the browser - that is, I can click on things (for example), the user interface reacts, but the browser doesn't take whatever action it was supposed to, which is fairly typical for a running backup; the same is true for the backup window itself. I've found no better option than to abort and restart the browser.

In either case, there's an aborted, incomplete backup.

The big one is FEBE 8.8, FF 39.0, profile 1.2 GB (presumably that includes cache). (The small one is at work, I can't look it up from here, but apart from being smaller it shouldn't be very different. Also, all instances - including the ones working fine - should have exactly the same extensions running, thanks to FF Sync.)

While I'm here, here's another thing that probably isn't related: on every instance, FEBE takes an incredibly long time to open any window.
Attachments
FEBE-Bug.png
Error message
khms

Postby khms » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:55 am

Another smallish thing. It would be rather useful if any box displayed allowed you to copy the text shown, so we don't need to either take screen shots or copy the text manually (which is rather error-prone).
khms

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:41 pm

The amount of time FEBE waits before delivering a script time-out message is defined in FEBE Options > Advanced > Advanced preferences > Chrome script timeout (seconds). You might try setting this to zero which mean 'forever'.

The 'freezing' of the browser is expected when an I/O intensive application (like FEBE) is executing. There is an option (FEBE Options > How to backup > Run asynchronously ) that, if checked, will make the backups appear to run faster. In reality, the backups take about the same amount of time but the results page is displayed before the actual backup is completed (the backup continues in the background). In your case, it might be best to run the backups synchronously (box un-checked) so the responsiveness will return as soon as the results page displays.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get around file locking errors. Were FEBE to simply wait for a file to become unlocked, it may be waiting forever. If it were to skip locked files, the backup would be incomplete if any of the files were essential to the profile. It is best to simply abort the backup in these cases so the user knows the backup is unusable. FEBE does, however, check for and ignore certain files that are known to be locked (and nonessential in a restore):

Code: Select all
            // Ignore locked files
            if(file == "parent.lock"){continue;}
            if(file == "lock"){continue;}
            if(file == "places.sqlite-journal"){continue;}
            if(file == "places.sqlite-stmtjrnl"){continue;}
            if(file == "places.sqlite-shm"){continue;}
            if(file == "places.sqlite-wal"){continue;}
            if(file == "cookies.sqlite-journal"){continue;}
            if(file == "cookies.sqlite-stmtjrnl"){continue;}
            if(file == "cookies.sqlite-shm"){continue;}
            if(file == "cookies.sqlite-wal"){continue;}

You can examine the contents of your 1.2GB full profile backup file by opening the .fbu file. It is just a renamed .zip file that can be opened with any zipfile program (e.g., 7-Zip or whatever native Linux program you have). If you see entries for cache, you can have FEBE ignore them by checking FEBE Options > How to backup > Ignore cache and phishing DB. That alone should speed up the backup process.

I am aware the options window takes some time to display. In fact, it has been getting worse with each Fx release and I cannot determine the reason.

As for the ability to copy/paste error messages, there is an option in FEBE Options > Advanced > Message popup style for Include 'Copy to clipboard' button on popup messages.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kloppstock » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:32 pm

I have followed this steps
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1707
Febe 6.3 Debug wasn't allow to operate by Firefox 48.02 and i can see nothing to do about it, i klicked yes on grant it special approval, but then i got a second rejection :).
Anyway i couldn't even find the value "dom.max_chrome_script_run_time" so i created a new boolean and then inserted value 0.

However i stil get this message (im not sure its 100 % the same as this thread describe, so i will give you the whole picture)
all 3 klick alternatives doesn't lead anywhere

Edit: When i think about it, the message really doesnt say "Unresponsive" in my language, it actually says "Warning: Uninfluential script"
However can i get help in this thread anyway?
Attachments
Namnlös1.jpg
Kloppstock

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:52 pm

FEBE 6.3 Debug is over six years old and I'm sure would not work correctly with Fx 48. The most current version is FEBE 8.9.2. Are you having script problems with that version?

Another user had issues with FEBE and an extension or program named "Thunar". Are you using it also?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kloppstock » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:33 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:FEBE 6.3 Debug is over six years old and I'm sure would not work correctly with Fx 48. The most current version is FEBE 8.9.2. Are you having script problems with that version?

Another user had issues with FEBE and an extension or program named "Thunar". Are you using it also?
No i have no idea what Thunar is.
But i have this script problem with Febe 8.9.2 that my pic shows, and i have reinstalled Febe several times, it always remember my old settings though if that is a problem...
Kloppstock

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO