"Unresponsive script" post thread

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: "Unresponsive script" post thread

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:20 pm

Kloppstock wrote:But i have this script problem with Febe 8.9.2 that my pic shows, and i have reinstalled Febe several times, it always remember my old settings though if that is a problem...

Let's rule that out. Run FEBE Options > Advanced > Clear FEBE preferences. You will need to re-enter all options after.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kloppstock » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:49 am

Now i haver done that, it didn't change anything unf
Kloppstock

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Well, the next step is to see if you have any extensions that are conflicting with FEBE. I have an addon for that named FECT. It will disable your extensions one half at a time to help you discover the conflicting extension.

You will need to attempt a backup after each iteration until you find the conflict. Depending on how many extensions you have installed, it shouldn't take more than 5 to 8 iterations.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kloppstock » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:37 am

cbaker_admin wrote:Well, the next step is to see if you have any extensions that are conflicting with FEBE. I have an addon for that named FECT. It will disable your extensions one half at a time to help you discover the conflicting extension.

You will need to attempt a backup after each iteration until you find the conflict. Depending on how many extensions you have installed, it shouldn't take more than 5 to 8 iterations.
No offense now but...i would like us to save meta-time
from having to troubleshoot FECT also ;) mainly cause i didn't understand fast enough as i desire to..how i should click to operate it, so i instead manually disabled my 6 add-ons excluded Session manager 0.8.1.12 that i didn't dare to disable.
Still that didn't fix the problem, but i believe it was enough for us to be able to move on from suspecting an add-on for this.
What would be the next troubleshooting step from that?.
I tested FEBE in 2 other profiles i have, and there it works smoothly to backup, perhaps no heureka..but it is this profile only that have some problem, and this profile is big with many sessions with
over 1000 pages open
Kloppstock

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Kloppstock wrote:I tested FEBE in 2 other profiles i have, and there it works smoothly to backup, perhaps no heureka..but it is this profile only that have some problem, and this profile is big with many sessions with
over 1000 pages open

Well, that has to be the cause of the script timeout problem. Each open tab in Fx runs in its own process. If you have 1000+ tabs open, you've got 1000+ processes running at the same time. That's going to slow down Fx dramatically.

You said you have FEBE Options > Advanced > Advanced preferences > Chrome script timeout (seconds) set to zero? That used to mean 'don't check for timeouts', but that may have changed. Try setting it to a high value - perhaps 180 seconds (that's three minutes).

The next debug step I was going to recommend was trying FEBE with a new, fresh, profile with only FEBE installed. But you mentioned that there are no problems with your two other profiles so that test is unnecessary.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kloppstock » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:00 am

cbaker_admin wrote:
Kloppstock wrote:I tested FEBE in 2 other profiles i have, and there it works smoothly to backup, perhaps no heureka..but it is this profile only that have some problem, and this profile is big with many sessions with
over 1000 pages open

Well, that has to be the cause of the script timeout problem. Each open tab in Fx runs in its own process. If you have 1000+ tabs open, you've got 1000+ processes running at the same time. That's going to slow down Fx dramatically.

I dot have 1000 pages open now, but my profile folder size...seem to have become 12.8 gb large, is that to much? so that it blocks the profile from doing a backup when i only have the start page open?, cause i tested that..and i still got the the script error.
A profile transplantation without having to diet it? To create a new profile then copy over my sessions-files into the new sessions folder?, would that bee any idea worth testing?

cbaker_admin wrote:You said you have FEBE Options > Advanced > Advanced preferences > Chrome script timeout (seconds) set to zero? That used to mean 'don't check for timeouts', but that may have changed. Try setting it to a high value - perhaps 180 seconds (that's three minutes).
Just to double check, I don't see where you are now! :). I can only get to that advanced settings inside about:config, but perhaps it doesn't matter from where?.
I changed to 180 and restarted Firefox, it didn't help.
Kloppstock

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:57 pm

My biggest profile is about 110 MB (and tht's with 44 extensions installed). If yours is 12.8 GB, it is extremely large. Perhaps you should consider either cleaning up your current profile, or creating a new one and adding only what you need. The first thing I would do is clear out old history items and your cache and cookies. When done, you can clean up your places.sqlite file with the Vacuum Places Improved extension.

You don't have to go into about:config to set the dom.max_chrome_script_run_time. It can be done in FEBE Options:

Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kloppstock » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:53 pm

Okay,thanks for that screenshot, found it. However the issue is the profile size off course.
I installed the vacuum and sett it to autoclean, and i cleaned as much as...410 mb Firefox history :)
However it wont reach this session underfolder called "delete"? who happen to be larger than the session mainfolder

I don't know about you, but i use Session Manager, but i have no accurate control of it since i don't understand
why session manager in the first place wanna delete any sessions! and then dump it there...where i have ordered it to stay for 27 days before deleting.
Maybe cause I don't wanna delete this sessions since i can never verify who they are or who they where in the past! before it got dumped here?.
Is it a graveyard for crashed sessions?, cause i wont notice!, If i crash i try to reopen the crashed session and then manually put it back into my autosave session-slot and overwrite it
Attachments
2016-09-19 22_31_56-Greenshot.jpg
Kloppstock

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:14 pm

I just use Fx's built-in session manager, not an extension. I would think you could remove that "delete" folder to reclaim profile space, but to be sure you should ask in the Session Manager forum.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to FEBE/CLEO