"Unresponsive script" post thread

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: backup hanging since upgrading to firefox 3.6

Postby southdave » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:26 am

Wow, this thread was busy over the weekend.

I to have just increased the timeout to 60s and 90% of the time it works ok. For some reason occasionally its taking about 80s (as reported in the results page) to complete, possibly due to the large number of extensions i have installed.

Thanks for your hard work resolving this.

Dave
southdave

Postby imeiou » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:12 am

You know what the weird thing is?

Since you mentioned the results page, I checked my old ones, back from Fx 3.5.x times. And they all show times a little over than 60 seconds. But Fx NEVER complained even having that configuration at the default 20 seconds.

Does it mean that it wasn't being respected? By the looks of it, I guess so.
imeiou

Postby Norky » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 am

Oops, need to update. Now I am completely confused..................

I have FEBE set for 1:00 AM scheduled backups. I woke up this morning to find that 1 AM scheduled backup Did not complete due to script error.

Here is the log:

C:\Documents and Settings\removed\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\removed.default\extensions\{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}\.autoreg
C:\Documents and Settings\removed\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\removed.default\extensions\{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}\chrome
C:\Documents and Settings\removed\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\removed.default\extensions\{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}\chrome\noscript.jar

I then ran a manual test backup and FEBE worked without problem.

Next I ran a couple of scheduled backups at two different times and backup completed without problem.
Norky

Postby paulderdash » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:27 am

I subsequently also got the js : 62 error - but upping dom.max_chrome_script_run_time to 60 also did it for me. I tried 40 and that also works, but not values lower than that.
paulderdash

Postby Norky » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Norky wrote:Oops, need to update. Now I am completely confused..................

I have FEBE set for 1:00 AM scheduled backups. I woke up this morning to find that 1 AM scheduled backup Did not complete due to script error.

Here is the log:

C:\Documents and Settings\removed\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\removed.default\extensions\{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}\.autoreg
C:\Documents and Settings\removed\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\removed.default\extensions\{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}\chrome
C:\Documents and Settings\removed\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\removed.default\extensions\{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}\chrome\noscript.jar

I then ran a manual test backup and FEBE worked without problem.

Next I ran a couple of scheduled backups at two different times and backup completed without problem.

I will let the normally scheduled 1 AM backup take place and see what happens
Norky

Re: "Unresponsive script" warning with Fx 3.6

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Did you bump dom.max_chrome_script_run_time to 60? (See previous posts in this thread.)
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Norky » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:57 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Did you bump dom.max_chrome_script_run_time to 60? (See previous posts in this thread.)

Yes, I did. Sorry, I had stated that in an earlier post but I forget that this thread has had a lot of activity for you to keep track of.
Norky

Postby Norky » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:50 am

Update: I allowed the scheduled 1 AM backup to run and woke up to the same unresponsive script problem. Then ran a manual backup, worked like a charm.

I noticed that I was once again running FEBE 6.3.2 which I must have reinstalled during add-on updates from yesterday, so I went ahead and reinstalled FEBE Debug 6.3. I noticed when I reinstalled it the prompt on the post installation page reminding you to clear your settings if you were upgrading from a previous FEBE major version. Was not sure if this was required for going from FEBE 6.3.2 to FEBE Debug 6.3 but I realized I had completely forgot about doing that when I was doing these FEBE 6.3.2 to FEBE Debug 6.2 installation sessions over the weekend.

This time I went ahead and cleared the settings and got an error from FEBE which read: undefined. After hitting okay to clear the message, I got another error window that read: JavaScript Application - undefined. After I cleared the error message, FEBE Debug did the normal restart and the directory had been cleared and backup schedule was deleted.

I have no clue if I needed to clear the settings on the previous changes over the weekend or not and whether that may be a factor in the problems I am having but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I have reset my settings and will once again allow the 1 AM backup session and see what happens.

Am wondering why I seem to be the only person still having this issue.
Norky

Postby jwm4 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 am

That fix to FF 3.6 worked for me, and that is the first time FEBE has worked since i began using the 3.6 release candidates. Thanks!
jwm4

Postby Norky » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Hopefully final update:

My scheduled 1 AM FEBE backup performed without a hitch. Not sure what made the difference, perhaps clearing the FEBE settings which was the last tweak I did helped.

Will see what happens with my Thursday 1 AM backup.
Norky

Postby jsb2b » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:38 pm

I too had the same script error hang. I extended the dom.max_chrome_script_run_time; to 60 and the backup ran in 29.083 seconds.

FEBE backup 6.3.2 had been working with FF3.6 just fine until I made 1 change today. I upgraded AVG Antivirus Free from 8.5 to AVG 9.0.733.

I thought AVG's new Cache Server avgchsvx.exe was extending the time of my backups so I reset dom.max_chrome_script_run_time; to 20, suspended avgchsvx.exe, and started FEBE backup. It backed up all 16 of my Add-Ons and nothing else and then stopped writing to my backup drive. I could not click on the FEBE Abort button until I resumed avgchsvx.exe. Then I clicked Abort in the FEBE pop-up and then Continue in the hung script pop-up and the FEBE backup completed successfully and opened the FEBE Results page. All the correct files were in the backup directory with the correct byte counts as compared to the last good back-up.

I extended the dom.max_chrome_script_run_time; back to 60 and FEBE worked again with a run time of 25.808 seconds.

I don't know what happened. FEBE works fine on my wife's sign-on but she only has 3 Add-Ons and no Themes. :?
jsb2b

Postby nonexistent_entity » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:15 am

Upgrading to Firefox 3.6 meant that FEBE stopped working. I've tried some of the recommendations posted in this thread but FEBE still doesn't work right for me in 3.6 (partial backup, eternal FEBE pop-up window, slow script dialog box).

Personally, I feel like I've already flushed enough of my time down the toilet with this issue. I uninstalled FEBE and my hair stopped turning gray. I'll try FEBE v. 7 when it's released.

Thanks for all your previous efforts; FEBE used to be great until Firefox 3.6.
nonexistent_entity

Postby ukexpat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:44 am

I am having the same problem. Changing the default time out did not work for me, will try the debug version next.
ukexpat

Postby jsb2b » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:36 pm

jsb2b wrote:I too had the same script error hang. I extended the dom.max_chrome_script_run_time; to 60 and the backup ran in 29.083 seconds.

FEBE backup 6.3.2 had been working with FF3.6 just fine until I made 1 change today. I upgraded AVG Antivirus Free from 8.5 to AVG 9.0.733.

I thought AVG's new Cache Server avgchsvx.exe was extending the time of my backups so I reset dom.max_chrome_script_run_time; to 20, suspended avgchsvx.exe, and started FEBE backup. It backed up all 16 of my Add-Ons and nothing else and then stopped writing to my backup drive. I could not click on the FEBE Abort button until I resumed avgchsvx.exe. Then I clicked Abort in the FEBE pop-up and then Continue in the hung script pop-up and the FEBE backup completed successfully and opened the FEBE Results page. All the correct files were in the backup directory with the correct byte counts as compared to the last good back-up.

I extended the dom.max_chrome_script_run_time; back to 60 and FEBE worked again with a run time of 25.808 seconds.

I don't know what happened. FEBE works fine on my wife's sign-on but she only has 3 Add-Ons and no Themes. :?

Today I completely uninstalled AVG Antivirus Free 9.0, reset the dom.max_chrome_script_run_time; to 20, and restarted FireFox 3.6.
FEBE backup ran twice to completion with runtimes of 27.483 and 42.020 seconds.
I'm slowly getting sour on AVG Antivirus 9.0 as it dogs FireFox page loads(sometimes they never complete without several reloads).
W/out AVG9.0, FF is exceptional.
AVG Antivirus Free 8.5 was working very well. I will go back to AVG 8.5 now.
jsb2b

Postby zarchasmpgmr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:58 pm

ukexpat wrote:I am having the same problem. Changing the default time out did not work for me, will try the debug version next.

Both scheduled and manual backups have been failing for me. On one user+profile I changed the dom time to 60 and ran a manual; that worked. I'll now go change all my other profiles/users and see if the scheduled backups work.
zarchasmpgmr

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO