"Unresponsive script" post thread

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: "Unresponsive script" warning with Fx 3.6

Postby lvsunz » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:12 pm

I've been having the same problem after installing FF 3.6 after long time running problem-free with 3.5.7. I just tried resetting the dom.max_chrome_script_run_time to 60 and it worked - run time was 46.131 seconds. (It didn't work after changing to 40.)
Hope 3.7 resolves this problem. Thank you.
lvsunz

Postby jsb2b » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:32 pm

jsb2b wrote:
jsb2b wrote:
Today I completely uninstalled AVG Antivirus Free 9.0, reset the dom.max_chrome_script_run_time; to 20, and restarted FireFox 3.6.
FEBE backup ran twice to completion with runtimes of 27.483 and 42.020 seconds.
I'm slowly getting sour on AVG Antivirus 9.0 as it dogs FireFox page loads(sometimes they never complete without several reloads).
W/out AVG9.0, FF is exceptional.
AVG Antivirus Free 8.5 was working very well. I will go back to AVG 8.5 now.

Today I did a fresh install of AVG Antivirus Free 9.0. FEBE backup stopped on the script error twice and after 2 continues, completed successfully in 72.786 seconds writing 30 objects 21.2mb.
I did another FEBE backup after restarting FF and this time it completed successfully in 28.372 seconds writing 30 objects 21.2mb.

I don't think ALL problems are FEBE problems....
jsb2b

Postby TXGuy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:40 pm

I have set dom.max_chrome_script_run_time to 60, but I am still getting the script error Script: chrome://febe/content/febeZip.js:62.

Another thing that I noticed, are that extensions I deleted long ago that were not on my Firefox extensions folder, were coming up as errors.???????

How high do I need to set the above-referenced preference to get FEBE to complete without an error? What other items will resetting the preference affect? Why is this occurring only after the upgrade to Firefox 3.6?
TXGuy

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:51 pm

Another thing that I noticed, are that extensions I deleted long ago that were not on my Firefox extensions folder, were coming up as errors.???????

They must have been in your profile/extensions directory. Maybe they were disabled or improperly uninstalled. In any event, running FEBE Options > Misc > Verify extension directory should solve that problem.

Try temporarily setting the preference to zero (never timeout). Run a backup with the Error Console open and cleared. Time the backup. If no errors occur, this will give you an idea what to set the preference to. If errors do occur, post them here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby TXGuy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:13 pm

With FEBE Options > Misc > Verify Extension Directory, had an error for add-on I have been using for some time: ***showParentFolder@alice is not a valid GUID.***

Removed that add-on, re-installed that add-on, has same GUID and results in same error. Here is a link to the add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7372 . Try that add-on and I think you will see the same GUID as I am seeing (as shown in the error above).

Changed dom.max_chrome_script_run_time to 0, opened and cleared Error Console, tried to run FEBE backup and Firefox locked up (no exit with pref setting at 0). After 5 minutes, I terminated Firefox in Task Manager. Of course, nothing every showed in Error Console.

I am a long-time Firefox user and have never had a problem with Firefox or any extension.

I have reset the pref to 60.

What has upgrading to Firefox 3.6 got to do with all of this?

What now?

****FOLLOW-UP TO ABOVE****
With Show Parent Folder un-installed, no errors in Error Console, but FEBE appears to never complete, although all add-ons, prefs, etc. appear to be backed-up. I need to "Abort" and alternately get original message Script: chrome://febe/content/febeZip.js:62 or sometimes getting Script: chrome://febe/content/febeZip.js:107.
TXGuy

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Try installing the debug version from this post.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby TXGuy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:42 pm

Resolved!

Using FEBE debug, the backup was stopping at various spots during the backup, no pattern, except that it would run about 1:15 and stop. I set dom.max_chrome_script_run_time to 300 and the backup completed in about 2:30.

In doing some reading about FEBE on your site, I discovered that I was backing up too much; I had chosen "Both" (Selective and Full). Now that I understand Full backup better, I really don't need it on a regular basis. By choosing Selective, the backup completes in just over 1 minute.

I have now reinstalled FEBE 6.3.2.

Still a mystery as to why the backup was completing successfully with "Both" selected before upgrading to Firefox 3.6. For those reading this thread, any ideas why?

Also, have you had a chance to look at the error I was getting on Show Parent Folder mentioned above: ***showParentFolder@alice is not a valid GUID.***? I have not reinstalled it yet, but I do find it useful.

Thanks for your assistance.
TXGuy

Postby vinograd » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:47 am

People,

I too am caught up in this. Moved to FF3.6 and things worked for a while, Then FEBE started to failed. Changed the time to 60 and it worked for a little while. Now it is failing again - window indicates it is preparing the report. Dir check is clean. I don't run AVG. Any thoughts - if we up the time to 80 ?

Dave
vinograd

Postby vinograd » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:00 am

People,

An update. Downloaded and installed the debug version. It ran like a charm in 13 secs.

I am confused.

Dave
vinograd

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:13 am

TXGuy wrote:Also, have you had a chance to look at the error I was getting on Show Parent Folder mentioned above: ***showParentFolder@alice is not a valid GUID.***? I have not reinstalled it yet, but I do find it useful.

You can safely reinstall it. It is most likely a valid extension with a improper GUID. If you were to run Verify Extensions in lenient mode, it should pass. (assuming that was the only issue FEBE found with the extension).

FEBE will backup extensions with improper pseudo-email GUIDs as long as they are otherwise valid.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby marthe224 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:59 pm

I was having the same problem with the unresponsive script warning. I did as was suggested typing about:config in the address bar of firefox. I then scrolled down until I found dom.max_chrome_script_run_time and changed the number from 20 to 60 after which I was able to back up febe without a problem. I spelled out what I did because I am not as advanced on the computer as some of your users and what I have written might be able to someone else with my skill level. :P
marthe224

Postby vinograd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:54 am

Chuck,

Aside from the window of file names are there any other differences between 6.3debug and the normal release that might explain why the debug version works and the normal release does not??

Dave
vinograd

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:50 am

Dave, FEBE6.3debug and FEBE6.3.2 are identical except for the log window. The log window should actually add a second or two to the processing time, so it doesn't make sense that debug doesn't time out. There must be something else going on but I don't know what it is. I'll keep scouring the 'net to see if other extensions are experiencing this issue and if anyone has come up with another solution.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:21 am

FEBE is a great add-in until I upgraded to FF3.6 :(
Now have a hanging FEBE backup.
I have verified the extensions in the Options tab - no errors.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled FEBE 6.3.2
I am still receiving the script error message
Still not completing the full backup
I cannot find the "aboug:config" to change the value.
Pls. advise the path.
What else I can do in order for FEBE to work? :?:
Joe

Postby angelwolf71885 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:44 am

i changed my dom.max_chrome_script_run_time to 5000 and was able to back up without issue
maybe you should submit a bug to Mozilla?
angelwolf71885

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO