"Unresponsive script" post thread

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: "Unresponsive script" warning with Fx 3.6

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:00 am

Yes, you can type "febe" into the search box in the upper right corner of the error console.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby vinograd » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:54 am

Chuck,

console reports NO febe errors. Will wait and see what happens next.

Dave
vinograd

Postby Snapafun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:37 pm

C:\Users\SnapafunFrank\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0eimcuq0.default\extensions\{3b56bcc7-54e5-44a2-9b44-66c3ef58c13e}\locale\it-IT\tidy\tidy.properties

Looking at other posts it would appear that FEBE just hangs randomly. I've set my time to 120sec and this is as far as FEBE gets.

Any other info I can get for you? 'cause I've had to disable FEBE to allow me to get on with things.
Snapafun

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Are you actually getting the "Unresponsive script" message or is FEBE just stalled with the progress meter moving back and forth?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Snapafun » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:34 am

It stalls with the progress meter running back and forth and when I move that dialogue away from the center of the viewport I find hiding underneath the "Unresponsive script...." dialogue.
Snapafun

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:51 am

Does the backup eventually complete if you answer the dialog?

Has FEBE worked for you in the past on the computer you are using now? If so, what was a typical file size and time of completion for a full profile backup? Are you now attempting a full profile or selective backup?

Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Error Console)? You may also want try the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences" and "Verify extension directory" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Misc.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again or when the "Script is busy" message appears) examine the error console for any error messages. Copy/paste them here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby selvan777 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:56 pm

FYI, the fix worked for me.

As suggested on the FEBE Homepage:

I went to about:config and ended up setting "dom.max_chrome_script_run_time" to 0 before I could get a successful backup of type: Both (Selective & Full profile). Had a look at at the FEBE results and saw that the total processing time was 79.134 seconds. I then went back to about:config and set "dom.max_chrome_script_run_time" to 90 it still worked like a champ.

I will add though that rather than follow Chuck Baker's suggestion to add 10 seconds, I went back to "dom.max_chrome_script_run_time" and added 40 (setting it to 120).

Hope that does not generate negative results later as It stills works like a champ.

Thanks
selvan777

Postby crishog » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:04 am

I installed the debug version & it seems to hang on random files. The only consistency is that they were all png or jpg file - is that just because of the sheer number of them in extensions?

Switching off the backup of extensions has all owed FEBE to complete successfully, but I'd like to back up the the extensions too.

Chris
crishog

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:51 am

Did you try performing the same steps as selvan777 outlined in the post just above yours?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby crishog » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Ywa, I's awt the limit to 0 & it got so far & stopped. I left it for 5 minutes, as suggested, but no joy.

Using the debug version I saw it choked on a .png, so I copied that from a backup & it moved on. Then it stopped on another png, still thinking it was a corrupt file I reinstalled & it moved on & stopped at a png in a different extension. I copied this, but it then stopped at a png in the first extension that it had copied before. I carried on with a few more test, and stopped my copying. It was always a .png or .jpg (but that might just be a coincidence given the number of images), but it was completely random.

FEBE has just run successfully again, without backing up the extension.

Chris
crishog

Postby tomsoltu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:40 am

Firstly, I suggest writing down a condensed post mentioning all methods and possible issues in a comprehensive form to eliminate the need of reading through ALL posts to get an idea where and what to search for...

I´ve done some extended testing, wanting to supply with anything I can guess.

Í´m on Windows vista, FF 3.6.2,
FEBE 6.3.2, using it for approx. 1 year, never cleared prefs, never verified directory, never did scheduled backups
My profile is set to open with some 120 tabs (maybe you´ll ask any user for THIS)

FEBE is set to, translated from german interface at best guess:
Options: full profile, incude global extensions, warn about..., verify backups, show progress, don´t show report, save report, save copy of FEBE
Scheduler: no schedule, remind me every 10 days

My case so far is: Manual backup, no scheduler, but with Reminder (issues, if..)
Normally every 10 days, by launching FF, the reminder pops up.
If I don´t do anything, it prevents FF from proceeding in loading any of that some 120 tabs, which is the same behaviour as with FF 3.5.x
(IS this intended or by design? Maybe offTopic...)
IF I immediately hit "ok" (do that backup), it freezes AFAIR. Same as with FF 3.5.x, if I´m correct (no investigation further, but can do)
My normal procedure thus is "cancel", wait for loading tabs, doing backup manually some time later.
Maybe those (combination of) circumstances have to be asked for to sort some things out

Next guess or suspicion is: sqlite issue. Someone posted stopping at urlClassifier.sqlite
I´m actually investigating an issue with repeatedly excessive hard disk activity, long lasting, affecting responsiveness of the whole computer.
I only came upon this (I was aware of disk activity, but didn´t care) because recording streaming videos is interrupted frequently.
To track down this issue I took a deeper insight with process monitor from sysinternals_microsoft and found that excessive reading and writing is taking place at some file(s) xxxx.sqlite which FF is heavily processing with.
Did some research and found that xxx.sqlite issue relatively widespread, but not really solved (research not finished yet).
You mentioned compacting the databases and vacuum, but IF this has an impact, it might be not deep enough.
To sort it out (or users who don´t have that exact fit of the problem), I´d make suggestions:
Asking for "heavy disk activity at the moment of FEBE backup?"
Maybe providing a predifined filter set for Process Monitor to make things easier or those willing to investigate further, but not delving into another program.
To be clear:
In my cause, FEBE time, there was no xxx.sqlite activity, nor any other besides normal system activity. There were writes performed by FEBE, as to be expected.

So I started my testing cycle according all suggestions having read the entire thread.

60 sec timeout, reminder showing, loading tabs blocked, hitting "ok", FEBE window appears.
Did not observe that progress bar, if firstly frozen, then swinging back and forth, or anything else concerning this.
(Maybe a comprehensive question mask is likely, if THIS may have any impact or may generate new aspects).
FEBE running, no finishing, waiting for that script timeout warning, none found.
I feel that sometimes that dialog gets visible by moving the FEBE window around IF not having switched to ANY other window at FEBE running time.
I hit "cancel" in that FEBE window, and there the dialog was sitting around. I hit "cancel" (don´t execute further)

60 sec timeout, manual backup
FEBE running, no finishing.
Investigating that backup file in destination directory, if it is growing in size or not to determine if something is going on unter the hood.
No file growth no more. So "cancel" in FEBE window. Script warning window appears.
NOW I hit "proceed", and FEBE apparently_obviously began to proceed, some kind of resuming, further backup file growth, UNTIL the next stall.
Hit proceed again, FEBE again, growth again, 5 Times, then finished the task.
Result: Some 1,1GB backup file. HUGE. Not normal.
Investigating THAT issue:
Actual FF cache size: 1GB+, although set to 500MB, AND set to "delete cache on shutdown"
Well, I had done actually a force quit without waiting for finishing that (in my case) "normal" heavy disk activity before relaunching FF.
I did not care for that disk activity so far, too, just usually waited for finishing, if I ever (seldom occurrency, my FF is likely stable) hat to do a force quit.
Maybe this time FF had messed up with his cache indexes, forgotten that "leftovers", or something was corrupt BEFORE, I don´t know.
I did not ivestigate further, just told FF to clear his cache. And it cleared. No leftovers. Cache empty, retaining that (maybe remaining corrupt) index files.
Bug? Issue? Coincidence?
I feel FEBE does not have to "backup" the cache, which it did THIS time althogh, which is the only explanation I have.
I saved that backup, can provide you (FTP, FileHoster, whatever) if you want.

Did an extension directory verify _strict
No occurences.
(Maybe anyone should be asked to post that COMPLETE result?!?!?!)

60 sec timeout, manual backup, cache emptied
FEBE running, no finishing.
Backup file growth stopped at some 35MB.
Cancel FEBE
Hit "proceed script" once
FEBE finished, adding some additional 300kB to backup file, copying FEBE.xpi and adding report.html

Quitting firefox, waiting for that "normal disk activity on quit" to finish
(BTW, and maybe OT: Which disk activity ? Had emptied cache! Did not investigate. If anyone can point me to something....Fragmentation meybe?)
Launched Firefox, no backup reminder, so FEBE has really completely done it´s tasks.
Set reminder to 1 day to force THAT possible impact, if so, tomorrow.
Letting tabs loading finish completely without touching firefox or anything else.
Cache is only 13,3MB?!? Strange, 120 Tabs. Again: Corruption? Feature? Did not investigate further.
(No, I did not install that new extension which prevents from actually loading ALL tabs, but only when needed, I don´t know the name)

60sec timeout
backup file growth stopped at 46.663kB
cancel FEBE, continue script , some 5 seconds later a finished set
backup file now 47.895kB

timeout set to 90
same
sligthly different size when finished: 47.190kB
Issue? I did not touch any tab besides about:config for setting the timeout... Why different?

Have saved these two backups too.

timeout set to 0
Opened Error console. Trying to search for FEBE
Some irritation:
There is no "search box in the upper right corner", but there is a bar in the upper region wherein I typed "FEBE" and pressed "Evaluieren".
Nothing happens. Ah, that error console has a button for "show all" and for "show errors only". Switching to it.
"FEBE not defined" ->>???
Given that this means "Hey, there was no occurency concerning FEBE", I skipped that.
Cleared console, set to only show warnings.

starting FEBE
Any FF window (Error Console, working window, FEBE window) becomes unresponsive immediately (okay, you mentioned....)
FEBE obviously causes disk activity (the main portion of writing backup file before stopping_freezing)
Sometimes later, some responsiveness, no errors showing, waiting 10mins+ (have a break)
FEBE has finished without further interaction. No erors.

Measuring completion time, roundabout, felt 2mins.

timeout set to 120
FEBE finishes after 150sec!
Well, maybe there should be cleared out it´s NOT that time needed for completion which has to be obeyed BUT that time needed from WHEN that FF timeout for the FEBE script has occurred PLUS the timeout set has to be within a range that is sufficient for completion of FEBE?!?! Can´t express it a better way....
Hm, and then there has to be a way to find that moment when it stops (minus that set timeout range?!?) Just my thought.

Remaining stuff:

I did NOT clear my FEBE preferences by now.

"Are you actually getting the "Unresponsive script" message or is FEBE just stalled with the progress meter moving back and forth?"
(Another user described: It stalls with the progress meter running back and forth and when I move that dialogue away from the center of the viewport
I find hiding underneath the "Unresponsive script...." dialogue.)
I´m not sure, both I´d say. Will report later.

Addition in response to other posts:

"the second urlclassifier3.sqlite in \AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\."
I think this is misleading. There is a urlclassifier3.sqlite in each and every of my profiles. Seems that user has created a new customized profile somewhere outside AppData, where is to be found the standard user profile created at first launch.
(I dont take action concerning urlclassifier3.sqlite because of investigating that disk activity issue. By now)

So that´s a bunch of things to sort out. Some comprehensive "question mask" or whatever would be useful, I think.

Regards
tomsoltu

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:54 am

Wow ... a lot of information. Not really sure how to answer because I'm not sure I see a specific question/problem to address. Perhaps we should deal with one issue at a time and continue when/if that issue is resolved.

Regarding the "Backup reminder" window. Fx displays this message while starting up when it gets around to loading the FEBE code. With 100+ tabs opening all at once, there's no telling at what point during the startup FEBE gets the go-ahead to due its thing. In any event, the message alert is modal and must be dismissed before Fx can continue. Perhaps it would be prudent to code FEBE to wait a minute or two after startup to display this message. That way Fx can finish all its other startup tasks first.

In your case, it might be best to just turn off the reminder for the time being. This can be done by setting "Reminder days" to zero in FEBE options > Schedule > Backup reminder > Reminder days.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby vinograd » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:41 am

Chuck,

Some more info. FEBE continues to run but the run time in the report page is highly variable. It ranges as high as 56 sec and as low as 15. The environment is not changing. Any thoughts ?

Dave
vinograd

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Is it the same backup type each time (i.e., full profile or selective)? If it is a full profile, is the .fbu file size similar each time? Maybe your cache is included. You can check this by opening the .fbu file (renaming it to .zip if you have to) and looking for a directory entry called "Cache".

Of course, the time FEBE takes to process is dependent upon how busy the computer is at the time of backup. If there are many tabs open, everything in Fx will tend to run a little slower.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby vinograd » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:36 am

Chuck,

It is the same type - selective - each time. The number of tabs varies but is normally in the 40s .

Dave
vinograd

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO