"Unresponsive script" post thread

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: "Unresponsive script" post thread

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:15 am

Unfortunately, that "Script is busy" window is created/displayed by Fx, not FEBE. Therefore I cannot change the modality, position of the window, nor any other aspect that could minimize its impact on the backup. Your observation that this window often appears "behind" the FEBE progress window suggests that disabling the progress window would at least not hide it from view. You can do this in FEBE Options > Options > Display progress window.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby tomsoltu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Well, I figure it. No _solution_ ... And, in addition, I can´t see if the progress bar is stucking or, to express it more precisely, if FEBE does "normal", which is:
coming up, progress bar floating a short time, then becoming unresponsive with progress bar going "static", and again floating. Up to that script warningif it happens to happen.
Thus my idea to do it in a tab (don´t know anything about your software´s inner stuff).
And, if it´s going to happen that zip.js (by having to stuff huge amounts of files from overflooded caches on fragmented drives) it would be a good idea to exclude cache as a feature.
The last few days, I have let run FEBE automatically and daily in my "big" work profile with mentioned timing and without cleaning my faulty cache, every time finishing (several times with _workaround_ cancel FEBE, but tell script warning "continue", coming up FEBE eport "successful", stated duration depending on waiting for me pressing the buttons (so "your measuring the time" tip can be misleading).
Shall I verify the archives´integrity?
Today (cache wiped out completely yesterday and having had a reboot last night), a slightly different issue arose:
FEBE acoustic signal (didn´t realize it was from FEBE), unable to switch to Firefox...No "not responding.." in taskmgr, I was wondering..
Decided to close all my programs to initiate a reboot... Well, when it came to Firefox remaining the last active program (I never minimize windows, addicted to ALT-TAB), who was sitting in the right lower corner? "FEBE thinks there is a backup in progress" (or similar). Was upset a little bit and did not care of what happened exactly then. In short and unexactly: Hit cancel (AFAIR), very short visible FEBE window, report "finished" showing up without any script warning dialog.
(For your interest, if applicable. Feel free to move this to a new thread, if you like)
(No time to polish my bad english, this time...)

tomsoltu
tomsoltu

Postby tomsoltu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 pm

P.S.:
You may suggest to "hit proceed in script warning repeatedly after canceling FEBE (if chosen to show up) up to finishing" to manually get around that issue if it happens only occasionally....
tomsoltu

Postby WHRoeder » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:39 am

I've not had this problem with FEBE, but have when using UpdateScanner.
Setting the max time parameters only reduced that problem.
To solve an unrelated problem was a suggestion to disable IPv6 in firefox (about:config.) That change seems to have fixed US. Try it for FEBE
WHRoeder

Postby kontractor13 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Hello,
This is not my field, so I apologize for my ignorance.
I changed the default value from 20 to 60 as suggested and ran one backup. FEBE seems to have run properly as it did before upgrading to Firefox 3.6.
I have 32 extensions, 6 which are disabled.

Backup type: Selective — Total processing time: 24.288 seconds

Items processed: 34 total (Created in: C:\Documents and Settings\*****************************************)

Extensions processed: (32 total)

I did get the following pop up window. I have no idea what it means. I think I have seen it since upgrading to Firefox 3.6. and the hanging issue began.

Could not process extension/theme with GUID unplug@compunach(2) -- skipped
kontractor13

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:47 am

After Firefox upgrades, there is often leftover "junk" left in the extensions directory. Try running Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Misc > Verify extension directory (lenient mode). When asked to let FEBE fix the errors, click OK.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby EagleBrewing » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Hello ...
Firefox 3.6.3
FEBE 6.3.3.2
Vista

When I run selective backup, it works just fine. If I go to Full profile or Both, it does not work.
I have tried most of your suggestions. Still no go.
It says please wait and the bar stops moving.
Then maybe 15-20 seconds later, the bar starts moving, but nothing happens. It just goes on and on.
When I abort, I get the Unresponsive script message
I guess I'll check back from time to time to see if there are some suggestions to fix this.
I would like to use it, but have trouble getting it to run.
If I check all on the selective backup, is that the same as a full profile?

Thanks ...
Bob
EagleBrewing

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:30 am

Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Error Console)? You may also want try the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences" and "Verify extension directory" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Misc.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again) examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby EagleBrewing » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:37 pm

OK, thanks for the response and trying to figure this out with me!
I installed Console2. I searched for 'FEBE' in the current errors. Nothing for FEBE.
I have attached a sample of what is in Console2. Nothing to do with FEBE, I don't think.
I ran clear preference and verify extension.
Attached are the results of the verify extension.
I then set backup to selective and ran it.
It ran just fine. No errors in Console2.
I then set backup to full profile and ran it.
The progress bar moved for about 1-2 seconds, then it said please wait.
It did this for around 30 seconds and then the progress bar moved again.
However, it never did finish. I waited a few minutes. I aborted it and I have the unresponsive script message.
By the way, my dom_max...run_time is set to 30.
I have tried from 0 to 60 for dom_max, and no go on a full profile or both.
Only selective works.
Then I finally ran the both backup.
Same thing as for the full profile.
And in all cases, no errors showing up on Console2.

My attachments are ...
1st is error console2
2nd is verify extension 1
3rd us verify extension 2

Thank for looking ...
Bob
Attachments
FEBE Verify Extension 2.jpg
FEBE Verify Extension 2
FEBE Verify Extension 2.jpg (21.69 KiB) Viewed 10516 times
FEBE Verify Extension 1.jpg
FEBE Verify Extension 1
FEBE Verify Extension 1.jpg (149.25 KiB) Viewed 10516 times
FEBE Error Console2.jpg
FEBE Error Console2
FEBE Error Console2.jpg (198.11 KiB) Viewed 10516 times
EagleBrewing

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:09 pm

That's odd ... There really should be at least one FEBE related error generated to get the results you are describing. Let's try this again.

Step-by-step:
  1. Set dom.max_chrome_script_run_time to zero for now.
  2. Close all tabs
  3. Configure FEBE for a full profile backup
  4. Open Console2, click "Clear" and leave the window open.
  5. Start the backup (the error console will probably minimize) and immediately restore up the error console.
  6. Watch the error console for messages.
  7. When the FEBE progress meter starts moving, abort the backup
  8. Post results here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby EagleBrewing » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:27 pm

OK, so what gives?!!!
It worked this time! It took 47 seconds for the FULL, and 53 seconds for BOTH.
I had tried numerous times before and it did not work!
This time I tried it with just one tab open and also with 3 or 4 tabs open.
Same results! Success!
No errors in Console2. No unresponsive script messages.
I guess setting DOM.MAX....Run_Time to 0 did the trick.
I was sure that I had tried 0 before. I know that I had tried 60.
Anyway, all seems good now.
Now, I want to make sure the restore works.
I plan on rebuilding my system soon, and want to make sure I have everything ready.
Thanks again ...
Bob
EagleBrewing

Postby pventresca » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:02 am

Time was 19.6 seconds.

Is there a way to confirm this was a full backup?

Phil
pventresca

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:24 am

Look in your backup destination directory. If you see a file named profileFx3{profName}.fbu, that is the full profile backup. You can open it with any zip program (like 7zip) to make sure it is readable.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby JAP1st » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 am

Hi, this is the message I found in the Error Console (it never finished restoring a profile in Firefox Portable Legacy 3.6 on Windows XP with the dom.max... set to 80)>

uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520006 (NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST) [nsIZipReader.getEntry]" nsresult: "0x80520006 (NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febeZip.js :: febeUnzip :: line 134" data:no]

I hope it is useful.
JAP1st

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:57 pm

Unfortunately, that doesn't tell me much. Are you able to manually restore the profile?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO