FEBE 7 beta releases

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE 7 beta releases

Postby yustepanov » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 am

I will try to do it. But very interesting situation. When I downgrade from beta >2 to beta2 I do nothing in changing FEBE configuration, FEBE begins to work. The same situation was when I upgraded from FEBE 6 in FF3 to FEBE 7b1 in FF4, I did not change in configuration FEBE anything.
yustepanov

Postby yustepanov » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:09 am

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences", "Verify extension directory" and "Check AddonManager functionality" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Advanced.

Thank you for your help. "Clear FEBE preferences" helped.
But it is very strange, because, as I wrote earlier, downgrading from Beta5 to Beta2 did not require any changes in FEBE configuration.
yustepanov

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:13 am

Each FEBE upgrade should always be followed by clearing the preferences (especially with beta releases). Even if there are no obvious changes in the options user interface, there are likely internal changes you can't see but do effect the backup.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby modem » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:09 am

Hi Chuck,

Firefox 5 is out. Can you add support for it in FEBE?

Thanks in advance.
modem

Postby tomorrow » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:41 am

Yes Firefox 5 compatability would be nice.Since v5 changes very little then mozilla itself bumped maxversion of many addons.What works with v4 should also work fine with v5.
tomorrow

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:02 pm

I'll install Fx5 today and install FEBE for a sanity check. If all goes well I'll bump the maxVersion.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Lupo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:04 am

You should also do it for firefox 6/7. Mozilla plans on a fast release cycle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mozilla_Firefox#Release_history
Lupo

Postby firesbane » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:24 am

I just read the same thing on ComputerWorld. I feel bad that they're moving to this rapid schedule of releasing major version numbers. It's going to play havoc for anybody who offers quality add-ons like FEBE.
firesbane

Postby tomorrow » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:13 pm

anonymous_user wrote:You should also do it for firefox 6/7. Mozilla plans on a fast release cycle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mozilla_Firefox#Release_history

I dont think this is a good idea.There is no rush and if you really want you can always force compability yourself.
tomorrow

Postby fgump » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Chuck, thanks for the continued updates for FEBE to FF. I'm having some difficulty with the user defined backups screen. When I want to delete an existing profile, I click on Edit and the combobox populates. I can then select the user defined backup I want to delete. I click delete (I have 3 defined and select the last one). The info disappears from the boxes on the screen, but if I hit "Post entries and exit" - the backup definition is still there when I go back and look. This appears to be a bug? I just have a few suggestions, as a developer myself, from a user GUI perspective that would improve this screen usability:

1). When a user goes into this screen. There should be no need for the Edit button. The "Select..." combobox should automatically be populated with the user-defined backups they have (or empty if none). When they enter the data with the textboxes all blank - like when they click the 'New' button - they will be submitting a new entry. If the are entering/editing something that is selected (already present) from the combobox, they'll simply be editing it - as you will be updating the info for this particular "Label" (user-defined backup name).

2). The "Select..." combobox should show the name of the selected user-defined backup (same that appears in the Label textbox) when they select it. Currently is always shows "Select..." You could eliminate the Label textbox and use a dropdown combobox that allows a user to type in this dropdown selection, rather than a dropdown list only used for selection. This is just a matter of preference, but what you have is ok. Just would be nice to show the selection in the dropdown box as well.

3). When I select a user-defined backup and hit delete (the part that isn't working for me). It should show that it's deleted from the dropdown selection list without me having to post and exit. It sort of gives the feeling that I deleted it, but it's still there. I suppose if it's still in the list and I select it again, it would show me the info that I just deleted and I can just keep repeating the process without ever really deleting anything until I exit the options screen.

4). Is it necessary to exit the options screen completely to save/post the changes for the user-defined backups? It would be preferable if I could just hit Post/Save (instead of Exit) or switch to another tab in the options where it would ask me if I wanted to save the changes if any where made. In this manner I have to keep opening FEBE's options again to continue.

I welcome your feedback on my suggestions. I'm not familiar with the programming language that FEBE is written in, but if I may somehow help or contribute, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Nelson
Last edited by fgump on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fgump

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:17 pm

fgump wrote:I just have a few suggestions, as a developer myself, from a user GUI perspective that would improve this screen usability:

Thanks for the input. You make some valid points and I will look into them for a future release.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby darkeforce » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:40 am

cbaker_admin wrote:The error you posted points to the code that deletes old backups. Perhaps there is a problem with one of the old backup directories (i.e., corrupted or had the permissions changed).

There a a couple of things we can try. First change the value of "Maximum directories to keep:" in FEBE Options > Where to backup to "0" (zero). This will prevent FEBE from trying to attempt to delete the files. If you are able to complete a backup after this, you should manually remove the offending backup directories.

Also try deleting the febeIgnoreListData.json file as suggested in the post from garyinr in this thread above.

Thanks. Doing the above got FEBE to perform a backup by clicking the icon, however, it wouldn't backup two extentions, giving errors:

Could not backup extension/theme RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin - skipped
Could not backup extension/theme Java Console - skipped

Additionally, when I try clicking the "Check AddonManager compatibility", I'm getting red text at the end of the pop-up that appears. I don't know if this is a problem or not

Red Text (plus check summary at top) as follows:

themes reported by AddonManager: 7
extensions reported by AddonManager: 111
plugins reported by AddonManager: 26
userstyles reported by AddonManager: 25
(Above totals include 1 globally installed item(s))

Addon with GUID of 6329@personas.mozilla.org is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 362943@personas.mozilla.org is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of {ABDE892B-13A8-4d1b-88E6-365A6E755758} is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 1 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 2 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 3 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 4 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 5 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 6 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 7 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 8 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 9 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 10 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 11 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 12 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 13 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 14 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 15 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 16 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 17 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 18 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 19 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 20 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 22 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 23 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 30 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 33 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of 34 is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory

Also, just to remind you, clicking the FEBE icon -> FEBE Options and TOOLS -> FEBE -> FEBE Options creates a non-functional, blank options window that cannot be closed by clicking "OK". The only way to get a functional options window is to open it from the Addons Manager window/sidebar.
darkeforce

Postby goldencomet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:37 am

Hi Chuck !
I'd like to use my dear FEBE with Nightly 7.0a1.
Can you help me ?
Many thanks and our congratulations for your achievements.
goldencomet

Postby bobprimak » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:56 am

Hi Chuck!

Remember how I said much earlier that when Firefox was upgraded to v. 4.0 and 4.0.1, the FEBE 7 Betas stopped finding my Extensions Directories? Well, Firefox just went into v. 5.0 and guess what -- FEBE 7 beta 6 (latest Beta available) is back to working beautifully!

I did have to clear my FEBE Preferences and reset everything (a bit of a bother), but after that, all my updated Extensions have been successfully backed up using FEBE Selective Backup. Of course, Java and the Java Console are not available for backup, but that's a Firefox issue, not a FEBE issue. Thanks for keeping after the Firefox upgrades issue.

I still like MozBackup for backing up and restoring entire Firefox and Thunderbird Profiles. But for Firefox Extensions and Preferences, FEBE cannot be beaten!
bobprimak

[7.0beta6] Ignore List doesn't work

Postby bege » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:58 am

Hello,

FEBE hangs when backing up Free Download Manager plugin.
Adding this to the ignore list doesn't help. FEBE still tries to back it up (respective file with 0kb in the backup folder).
Any other changes to the ignore list have no results either (although the change is confirmed), FEBE backs them up still.
Regards

FF 5
FEBE 7.0beta6
Windows XP SP3
bege

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO