FEBE 7 beta releases

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE 7 beta releases

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:02 am

What is your setting for general.useragent.locale in about:config? If it is anything other than "en-US", FEBE will have problems with missing entities.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby a2401314 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Hello,

I have a problem about backing up the extensions,
I have already selected "Backup extensions" in the Options page but I can only get the backup of other things (e.g: profiles, bookmarks, themes, etc.)
Everything is alright except extensions, there is no any error/warning,
the Results Report has no information about Extensions even though I selected "Backup extensions".

Thanks for your help and thanks for developing FEBE!
Edmund
a2401314

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Which versiosn of FEBE and Firefox are you using?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby fraschi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 pm

O.k., my general.useragent.locale is 'de'. That's the reason for the two ERRORS in the error-console?
But that's not the reason for the empty options-dialog I think ...
fraschi

Postby a2401314 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:13 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Which versiosn of FEBE and Firefox are you using?

FF 4.0.1
and FEBE 7.0beta4
a2401314

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:03 am

FEBE v7.0beta5 is now available. Please install. If any of the problems that you were experiencing before still exist, please start a new thread so I may be able to better track them.

This thread is starting to get too long and different issues are getting mixed together making them hard for me to keep track.

If I missed one of your posts and haven't replied yet, please forgive me. I would like to keep each separate issue in its own thread to make sure I am addressing them accordingly.

Thank you all.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby a2401314 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:12 pm

Chuck, Thank you for the new version of FEBE.

But I still have some problem,
I can successfully backup my profile, bookmarks, themes, anything but extentions.
There is no any error shown.
There is something that I don't know whether is related to the problem...
every time I restart my firefox and try to backup using FEBE,
it shows "Extension data is still loading ... try again in a few seconds",
I need to click "Check AddonManager functionality" in the option page first if I want to backup my things.
I am using Firefox 4.0.1 and FEBE v7.0beta5.
Thanks for your help and have a nice day.
a2401314

Postby garyinri » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:42 am

(This problem may be similar to that of a2401314 noted above.)

Windows XP
Firefox 4.0.1
FEBE 7.0beta5

Hi. I appear to be having issues when trying to do Selective backups. Whenever I attempt to perform a Selective backup, none of my extensions appear to be found. My booknmarks, prefs, and userChrome get backed up to the destination folder, but then FEBE just hangs. I have set the script timeout to 0 to avoid any unresponsive script errors.

When I go to the Ignore List, and select 'Get List', nothing is returned. I suspect this is the same reason that no extensions are found during the backup process. However, 'Verify Extension Directory' and 'Check AddonManager Functionality' both complete successfully.

When I installed beta5, I reset all the FEBE preferences (and have reset them numerous times since then.)

I am seeing the following errors show up repeatedly in the Error Console when I open the FEBE options and when I try to run a backup:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIJSON.decode]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js :: febeGetAddonList :: line 338" data: no]

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIJSON.decode]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js :: febeGetAddonList :: line 338" data: no]
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/preferences.xml
Line: 738

When I run a Full Profile Backup, the process was never completing on its own and had to be aborted. Despite that, the extensions did appear to be included in the full backup.

******Update (a bit more info I've determined as I've been putting together this post)

If I do not include FEBE in the backup, the Full Profile backup completes successfully.

If I do not include FEBE in the backup, the Selective Backup completes (does not hang) but it still does not include any extensions (only bookmarks, prefs, userChrome, and LightweightThemes).

If I create a new Firefox profile and install FEBE and couple of extensions as a test, the Selective backup appears to work successfully and I do not see the errors noted above in the console.

Any clues as to whey the extensions are not being recognized during a Selective backup but appear to be for a Full Profile backup?
Could you help me pinpoint the cause of the errors being seen in the Error Console?

Thank you.
garyinri

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks for the post. You've pointed me in the direction of the"Ignore list" functions. I'll pick that code apart and see if it is causing some of the other problems others have posted.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby garyinri » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:57 am

Chuck,

Here's an additional followup. I managed to get the backups to complete successfully with no errors.

I deleted the febeIgnoreListData.json file (which was empty) from my FF profile folder and restarted FF. I was then able to successfully retrieve my list of extensions using the 'Get List' button. I chose the 'Select All Incompatible' button, saved my changes, and restarted FF.

Ran a backup and both the Selective and Full Profile backups completed successfully.

No errors were reported on the Error Console.

I still did not include FEBE as part of the backups but, instead, included FEBE7.0beta5.xpi as a user-defined backup. Will try that next.

Update:
Both Selective and Full Profile backups completed successfully (did not hang) when including a copy of FEBE with the backup.
garyinri

Postby a2401314 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 am

Hello,
I just followed what Garyinri metioned, and everything is alright now.
Thank you Gary,
and thank you Chuck.
a2401314

Postby darkeforce » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:07 am

cbaker_admin wrote:
darkeforce wrote:Additionally, selecting "FEBE Options" from the Icon's dropdown menu just opens an empty window; I can only open options from the addons window. Additionally, the options box is way too tall; I can't get both the menu buttons and the "Okay" button showing at once, and the window won't resize.

Another user discovered that the options window is blank only when opening it for the first time after Fx starts, but opens correctly after that until the next restart. Does yours work like that?

As far a not being able to resize the options window, that is an ancient Mozilla bug that doesn't appear to be a priority.

Basically, FEBE is totally FUBAR right now.

I realize this may be asking a lot, but would it be possible for you to temporarily disable all your extensions (except FEBE, of course) to see if FEBE operates correctly? This would tell me if there is a possible extension conflict that prevents you from backing up.

No, the options window is always empty whenever I try to open it from the FEBE toolbar button. Nothing responds or works properly from the drop-down menu on the FEBE button, or from the Tools->FEBE menu. The only way I can get the options window to open with anything in it is from the addons manager window/frame.

When I schedule a backup, it gives the countdown sounds, but then does nothing when the time comes up. The timer icon flashes, but clicking it just brings up an alert asking if I want to abort. Then, even if I do tell it to abort, it doesn't/ The time icon keeps flashing, and again asks me if I want to abort if it's clicked again.

The Error Console shows the following error any time I click the BACKUP item on the FEBE Icon or Tools->FEBE:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsILocalFile.remove]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febe.js :: febeDelISO8601Dirs :: line 393" data: no]

And no, FEBE still doesn't work, even when it's the only extension active. I have the same problems.
darkeforce

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:13 am

The error you posted points to the code that deletes old backups. Perhaps there is a problem with one of the old backup directories (i.e., corrupted or had the permissions changed).

There a a couple of things we can try. First change the value of "Maximum directories to keep:" in FEBE Options > Where to backup to "0" (zero). This will prevent FEBE from trying to attempt to delete the files. If you are able to complete a backup after this, you should manually remove the offending backup directories.

Also try deleting the febeIgnoreListData.json file as suggested in the post from garyinr in this thread above.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby yustepanov » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:28 am

Hello!
I am using FF 4.0.1 and FEBE 7.0beta2. Beta 2 is the last version which works on my computer. I have met problems with using FEBE 7.0 beta >2, none of them works. FEBE hangs on "Preparing results page ...". I am using backup type "Both (Selective and Full Profile)".
Also very strange behavior during scheduled backup - none of extensions backed up, but if I run backup manually everything works.
Do you have any ideas?
Do you need any additional information from me?
Thank you.
Attachments
FF401+FEBE70beta5.JPG
FF401+FEBE70beta5.JPG (253.02 KiB) Viewed 6770 times
yustepanov

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:35 am

Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Error Console)? Please install the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences", "Verify extension directory" and "Check AddonManager functionality" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Advanced.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again) examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO