FEBE 7 beta releases

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE 7 beta releases

Postby TXGuy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:13 am

Did not want to re-edit above post again.

Additional problem: Not all items being included in Results report.

Added 2011-03-28:

To clarify, not all items that should be shown below the list of extensions is being shown as backed up even though they are in the backup folder for that day.
Last edited by TXGuy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TXGuy

Postby aprilia1k » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:45 pm

I looked for FEBE 7 beta issues, and confess I did not read every post in this thread, but did look at many of them. I have used FEBE for a few months now, with FF3.x, and had a couple of disk failures, etc.. which made me VERY thankful that I had been using FEBE, since there was enough hassle with the system restoration; just having FF work perfectly with all my addons, etc.. and bookmarks. Awesome. Anyway - I just installed FF4, and immediately went to get the FEBE 7 beta when checking compatibility. The installer dialog says that it's from an unverified author (makes it look like "FEBE? What's that?". Which seems absurd to me. I understand they may not provide full-on certification, esp. for a beta, but to imply that the author is totally unheard of, and potentially a security risk seems ludicrous. Is this typical? I usually pay attention to these warnings, and for some reason don't recall seeing them in the past for phpBB/FEBE. It was clear that this is a popular and fairly widely used addon (and worth paying for I might add).

Apologies if this isn't the place to ask about this.
aprilia1k

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Hello Chuck:

I too am now having the same problem as some other posters. I downloaded the latest BEtA of Febe and when I try to perform a backup, a folder is placed in the destination directory by FEBE, but NO backups are stored there. The folder is empty.
This was also occurring for the previous BETA release too. I was using the previous version of FEBE (Version 6) which was working fine on Firefox 3.6. I installed version 7 Beta when I upgraded Firefox to version 4.0.
I have tried scheduling backups and trying to backup manually. I have also tried Debugging mode and asynchronous backups No Go!!!!!!!! I cannot get FEBE to back up anything. Al I see is an empty Folder with the proper date. Any suggestions at this point?

Thanks. I do like the program though!
Jay

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:38 pm

@aprilia1k: You may find that virtually all of the add-ons offered for Firefox declare the "Author not verified" when installing. This includes most of the extensions on AMO as well. To be verified, the extension has to be digitally signed (which is not a trivial thing to do and can be expensive). Why Mozilla cannot/will not digitally sign add-ons is a mystery to many. If you can't trust extensions/themes/plugins installed directly from AMO, who can you trust?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:54 pm

@Jay: Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Error Console)? You may also want try the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences" and "Verify extension directory" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Advanced

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again or the backup completes) examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:38 pm

I just upgraded to FF 4.0 and installed FEBE 7.0beta2. Backup seems to be working fine for me (backup type Both) with 74 extensions and 1 theme processed (FEBE Results). All the files are present in the designated backup directory on my server.

One possible idea... before I tested this I compresses all of my Firefox *.sqlite files, perhaps that made a difference.
chrisretusn

Postby awolfe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 am

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for FEBE. I am a long time user, though this is a first time posting. I have never had any significant problems before. :D

I upgraded to FF4 and FEBE 7. I tried a forced back-up and it fails on Java Console, Java Quick Starter, and Microsoft Net Framework Assistant. In my FF extensions page I have JC 6.0.07, JC 6.0.12, JC 6.0.13, JC 6.0.14, JC 6.0.15, JC 6.0.17, JC 6.0.20, and JC 6.0.21. FF won't remove these Java Consoles, just disable them. So I thought I would skip them in the FEBE back-up. This doesn't work either, it lists Java Console {6.0.21} eight times rather than each of the JC versions listed on the extensions page. If I check them to skip and save it FEBE still comes up with "Can't find Java Console {6.0.xx}. Item skipped" message for each Java Console other than 6.0.21.

Java Console, Java Quick Starter, and Microsoft .Net Framework Assistant didn't cause issues with previous FF and FEBE versions. Is this going to now be a permanent thing, that these items will need to be skipped?
awolfe

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:37 am

Chuck:

I Cleared Preferences and checked extension directory. Everything ok. I then uninstalled and reinstalled latest FEBE Beat and set up my preferences again. I then tried a backup. Same problem. A properly dated Folder is placed in the correct destination directory but there is NOTHING in the folder. I then went to Tools in Firefox Menu Bar to look for the error console under FEBE to try to get the error but the CONSOLE is NOT there!
I have a number of extensions installed but they were also used in Firefox 3.6 when I had FEBE 6 installed and everything worked fine. Of course some of the Add Ons have been updated for Firefoz 4.0 since then.

Not sure what I can do next.

Jay
Jay

Postby tomorrow » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:20 pm

Not a breaking issue but why does FEBE still unpacks itself in extensions folder in profile directory?
I notice most addons now stay in .xpi format which i prefer.
There are some other exeptions too tho:

Second small thing.I have reports turned off but FEBEresults.html is still created in profile directory.Why is that?
tomorrow

Postby jale » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:45 pm

I too have seen the problem of the empty Verify extension directory. I just found out a solution that solve the problem and that I can repeat to verify. It depends if FEBE is in the debug mode or not and if the console is open or not. I noticed the following:

FEBE not in debug mode: Verify extension directory is empty and backup fails to back up most of the extensions
FEBE in debug mode: Verify extension directory is empty and backup fails to back up most of the extensions
then open the console, Verify extension directory is complete.
then close the console, everything still OK.
But if I put FEBE back out of debug mode, I'm back to situation 1 above and Verify extension directory is empty.

There are many sequence combinations so more test would be required, but it seems that FEBE must be in debug mode to work properly. That may give you a hint on what to look for.
.... one more point: I just removed the debug flag, closed the FEBE Options window, reopen, Verify Directory was OK once only, but empty on repeated clicks after that until I had re-set the debug flag, close the options windows, reopened it. Now it's normal again.

Note that the extensions are not all backed up (only 1 to 75- why? are backed up out of a total of 98 in the verify extension directory) in any case until I do the sqlite rename thing. So still not out of the wood.
jale

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:40 pm

Chuck & Jale:

Very interesting. When I go and click on the "Verify the Extension Directory" under the TOOLS tab after entering FEBE Options, the extensions are reported as OK. When I repeat the action, NO EXTENSIONS are shown! It seems that sometimes the extensions are there and sometimes they are not. There is definitely a problem with FEBE here. Perhaps this is related to why I get absolutely NO backups in my destination Folder (NO extension or Other Backups are present). I only get an EMPTY folder that is correctly dated when I try to perform a backup.
Jay

Postby tomorrow » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:21 pm

tomorrow wrote:Not a breaking issue but why does FEBE still unpacks itself in extensions folder in profile directory?

Link to why this was implemented: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Extens ... _unpacking

Also noticed a few errors on console.Not sure if they' have been reported already or not but:
Code: Select all
Warning: WARN addons.manager: Exception calling callback: TypeError: febeLocalExtInstallDirectory.clone is not a function
Source file: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js
Line: 467
 ----------
Warning: WARN addons.manager: Exception calling callback: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.append]"  nsresult: "0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 472"  data: no]
Source file: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js
Line: 472

Overall Beta 2 seems to be working ok for me.Backs everything up nicely even with async on (as far as i can determine).No breaking problems found exept the small issues mentioned in my previous and this post.

I'll look into those error messages. Thanks for the post! - Chuck
tomorrow

Postby Cr4z33 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:27 am

Chuck why is there no more cache backup option in FEBE 7 (using FF v4.x)?
You wrote it might then be instable, but I am wondering why as I used to back it up when having previous builds of your extension with FF 3.6.x.

Cache backup was never an option prior to FEBE 7. It got backed up as part of a full profile backup only if it resided in the profile directory. - Chuck
Cr4z33

Postby tomorrow » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 am

Cr4z33 wrote:Chuck why is there no more cache backup option in FEBE 7 (using FF v4.x)?
You wrote it might then be instable, but I am wondering why as I used to back it up when having previous builds of your extension with FF 3.6.x.

It's still there.Ss far as i can see it disables itself when there is no cache in the profile folder.Hence why it's greyed out.And there is an about:config setting for this too.
tomorrow

Postby Freelancer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:44 am

Using 7.0beta2: The checkbox "Warn before clearing destination directory" doesn't do anything.
The destination directory is cleared without a warning.

I'll put it on the bug fix list - Chuck
Freelancer

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO