FEBE 7 beta releases

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE 7 beta releases

Postby silkphoenix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:54 am

I am going back to b1 version until someone knows what's wrong with b2. I do not want to lose my backup. I am sure there's something wrong with it because of the size and the time it took to back it up.
silkphoenix

Postby tomorrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:20 pm

silkphoenix wrote:How did you check to make sure everything is there?

Nothing fancy.Just placed original folder on one side of screen and the backed up on on the other side.Atleast all files seemed to be present.I suppose i could have run some batch hash comparsion tool to see the differeces, but some files change during the setting change (async setting i mean) anyway so not sure how much point this would have.

Try turning async off temporarely and see if backups still complete within 15-20 seconds.For me async is faster tho it's hard to see the difference because my profile is rather small.
tomorrow

Postby silkphoenix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Thank you, tomorrow.

I'll stay with b1 for the time being and see how it goes tonight with the backup. I'll post my result tomorrow.
silkphoenix

Postby silkphoenix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Here's my update:

FEBE just finished the backup and its size is 70MB which is used to be. So I'll stick with b1 until someone or the developer finds out what's the problem with b2.
silkphoenix

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:09 pm

@silkphoenix:

The best way to see if the backup is valid, is to do a restore. Use FEBE's Tools > FEBE > Restore Profile function to create and populate a new profile. You can always delete the new profile once you determine everything restored ok.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby gzk » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:42 am

Howdy - I`ve got a bug to report....

Using FEBE 7.0beta2 with Firefox 4.

I backed up Firefox 3.6.16 (using FEBE 6.3.3.2), and then I re-imaged my PC (using Acronis) and installed a virgin copy of Firefox 4 and installed Febe 7.0.
I then restored Firefox 4 using FEBE 7.0beta2 - but it hangs when restoring the Browsing History. Everything else works ok, but not Browsing History ???

Any suggesions ?

So there order I do is this :
1) Firefox 3.6.16+Febe3 => take FEBE backup
2) Re-image PC with my "virgin" image of XP that has no Firefox installed of any kind (this is my "perfect" XP install with just XP and office, registered and MS updated - when I re-image this (about once a month), I then install all the ther stuff like Adobe, Flash, Java, Firefox.
3) Install Firefox 4 (no previous install of Firefox).
4) Install Febe 7.0 beta and try to restore the image from step 1).
5) HANG HANG HANG HANG !!!

At the moment, I`ve re-imaged and I am back on Firefox 3.6.16 until I can resolve my FEBE issue ???

Next I will try to upgrade to Firefox 4 from 3.6.16 before I re-image, then install FEBE 7.0, then take a FEBE backup (which should now be a Firefox 4 backup). Then I will re-image and install a fresh virgin copy of Firefox 4 and try the backup I just took ??

Thanks for a great product !!
gzk

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:49 am

Does it hang only when restoring browser history? What happens if you restore a full profile backup?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby vinograd » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Chuck,

Running FF4 with FEBE v7beta2. FEBE does not backup any extensions, I have 20 odd. The verify directory seems to find some of them but shows ones that are disabled as operational.

Any suggestions?

Dave
vinograd

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:10 am

Try unchecking "Run asynchronously" in FEBE Options > How to backup.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby vinograd » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Chuck,

I see no check box on any of the options panels that allows me to control asynchronity. Further a request to verify the extension directory states that there are no extensions.

I am confused.

Dave
vinograd

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Are you running FEBE 7.0beta2?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby vinograd » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:34 am

Chuck,

Yes, Version: 7.0b201102281630 per last nights run. Which backup some enabled and some disabled extensions but not all.

Dave
vinograd

Postby modem » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:37 am

Hi Chuck,

this is a great tool but as most of the people here was also getting an empty output folder. But I fixed it when I checked the option Display Progress Window and now it runs well (at least the 4 last times :)). The 1st time I was able to backup I had selected the Full Profile, and I got 3 files as a result:
- profileFx4{default}.fbu
- FEBE{7.0beta2}.xpi
- Results - FEBE 2011 04-14 10.02.46.html

I got the unresponsive script warning as the script took around 96 seconds to make. On the 2nd try, without changing any settings it took 11s with a quick backup and I got a file with more 12kB. Quite a difference in the time it took.
As I never made a full profile backup before, I'm wondering if all my extensions are inside the file profileFx4{default}.fbu as in the results it says it backup just the FEBE extension, altough the file is around 25MB.

Then I changed my settings to the usual backup settings: selective. Now I got some errors related to some extensions he could not find:
- Java Console
- Java Quick Starter
- Google Gears
- FreemakeConverter

I get 61 files taking 21MB. In my latest backup with FEBE6 I have 55 files taking 20.5MB.
When I see the errors above there is also a tip saying I can add the not found extension to the ignore list, but when I go there and I press the get button I get no extensions shown (it was working before). I get the same issue with the Verify extension directory button.

Another bug I find is that everytime I to to the options and I select the Advanced tab, the options window increases in size. I'm using a 19'' screen and a resolutin of 1440x900 pixel and now I can't see the OK button until I reduce the window size.

I have the FEBE debug mode active and the run asynchronously inactive.

I tried to go to the Error console to check it there are any FEBE related errors to send you but I'm not able to filter and I have lots of other warnings there.

Regards,
modem

Postby tomorrow » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:10 am

Those Java things are useless.No need to back them up.
tomorrow

Postby modem » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi again Chuck,

On another computer I have, I have an error shown in the Verify Extensions directory, and when I try to fix it I have the following error:
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
[nsILocalFile.remove]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame ::
chrome://febe/content/febeVerifyext.js :: febeDeleteInvalidExt :: line 428" data: no]

*** UNEXPECTED ERROR ***
C:\Documents and Settings\pedro\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\07a1bi0k.default\extensions\sfStatistics.xml

Regards
modem

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO