FEBE 7 beta releases

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE 7 beta releases

Postby scubafish » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi Chuck,

I wanted to alert you to a minor problem I am having with FEBE 7 0b201009171507. I am running Windows 7 x64 and FF Beta 6. I elected to use a timestamped directory for FEBE backups. When the backup completes,the new timestamped directory is present and the html results page is in it, but the *.fbu file is in the parent directory, not the timestamped directory.

When I installed the above mentioned FEBE beta release, I did reset all the FEBE options to default and restarted FF Beta 6. I set the backup directory to a new Beta Test directory name.

This problem also occurs with the current Minefield 64-bit nitely, in Windows 7 x64.

I'll try this again when when the next FEBE beta release becomes available.

Thanks for your support. FEBE is a great extension.
scubafish

Postby streetwolf » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Chuck:

Using the latest beta 7 with the latest Minefield. Like others, the progress bar on a backup keeps going forever. I have to hit abort to get out of the FEBE window. However, the backup folder is created with everything that I specified. I see this in my Error Log when I run a backup. Perhaps it can help you out.

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFileOutputStream.init]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febe.js :: febeWriteResults :: line 617" data: no]

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b7pre) Gecko/20101001 Firefox/4.0b7pre - Build ID: 20101001160131
streetwolf

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:37 pm

FEBE7.0b201010041625 is available. Let's see if most of the bugs have been worked out :wink:
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby AMG » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:31 am

cbaker_admin wrote:FEBE7.0b201010041625 is available. Let's see if most of the bugs have been worked out :wink:

Hi working perfect on FF4pre7 64 Bit its Cool thanks !!! :D :D :D
AMG

Postby Gavin77 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:11 am

AMG wrote:Hi working perfect on FF4pre7 64 Bit its Cool thanks !!! :D :D :D

I have to disagree there.
I've noticed a few problems.

1. I currently have 28 extensions and 2 themes installed. Using the "verify extension directory" it comes up ok but says I have 68 extensions installed, which I obviously don't.

2. Quick Backup - Get List displays all extensions including Plugins, is it supposed to show plugins?

3. In options "what to backup", if I choose full backup and then run a backup it locks up the browser for a while and then seems to finish ok and makes the backup. If on the other hand I select a "selective backup" with all the boxes checked it will instantly finish and show the log screen with "Backup type: Selective — Total processing time: 0.516 seconds" and it doesn't backup up either the extensions or the themes.

4. More of a request than a bug. When doing a full profile backup I'd really like to be able to exclude the cache directory.
Gavin77

Postby streetwolf » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:56 am

latest version is not working right. I only managed to backup everything only a few times. Just ran FEBE, selective, and there are no themes nor extensions in the backup folder, everything else is there including my user-defined stuff.

**** Update ****

I was running with display results page set to Summary. I then disabled the option and FEBE backed up everything. I set it back to Summary and it still worked. I think this setting, depending on how you set it, is the cause of my problem.

Seems setting it to details screws things up for me. Summary seems to backup everything except that my extensions/themes do not show up in the report.
streetwolf

Postby AMG » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:17 pm

Sorry FEBE not working perfect !!!

Step 1: I install FEBE7.0b201010041625.xpi and restart FF then making a backup working perfect !!!

Step 2: When i close FF and new start FF and Backup not working perfect !!!

Step 3: When i new install FEBE7.0b201010041625.xpi and retsart FF then working OK ?!?!? :( :( :(
AMG

Postby Lupo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:33 am

Hello,

Always the same error code ... :mrgreen: :shock: :wink: !

Chuck Baker's Firefox Extensions Support Forum • View topic - Error code febe 6.3.3.2 = febeZip.js = talse =! false :
http://www.customsoftwareconsult.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2193

FEBE 7.0 Homepage :
http://softwarebychuck.com/febe/febe70.html

FEBE7.0b201010041625.xpi :
http://softwarebychuck.com/xpis/FEBE7.0b201010041625.xpi

Inside febeZip.js ... (The line numbers are not the same = febe 6.3.3.2 !) ; line 54 to line 63 :
// Define the zip routine
var zip = function (src){
var aFile = Cc["@mozilla.org/file/local;1"].createInstance(Ci.nsILocalFile);
if (!aFile) return false;
aFile.initWithPath(src);
if(!aFile.exists()){
var tmp = "febeZip: "+febeMsg[61].replace(/%SRC%/,src);
febeFatal("FILE NOT FOUND",tmp);
return talse;
}//if

Why a file "!install.rdf" and a file "install.rdf" inside the ".xpi" (all versions of febe) ? This is normal ? Is this waste as already seen in some add-ons ? Thanks for infos :) !

Audit all your code please + XPI content (i'm not expert for this) ... You can change the dates for new files or those that are modified with a tool (I like Attribute Changer (6.20) Page : "Petges.lu - Download"). As this will be cleaner in the ".XPI" file with dates and hours to the nearest second (00) and identical. The old files remain the same dates and times unless new clean base. Thank you for cosmetics :) !

thank you.
Lupo

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:25 am

Gavin77 wrote:1. I currently have 28 extensions and 2 themes installed. Using the "verify extension directory" it comes up ok but says I have 68 extensions installed, which I obviously don't.

Fixed (counter double-incrementing)*

2. Quick Backup - Get List displays all extensions including Plugins, is it supposed to show plugins?

Fixed - Quick Backup had other problems also, but I think I caught them all.*

3. In options "what to backup", if I choose full backup and then run a backup it locks up the browser for a while and then seems to finish ok and makes the backup. If on the other hand I select a "selective backup" with all the boxes checked it will instantly finish and show the log screen with "Backup type: Selective — Total processing time: 0.516 seconds" and it doesn't backup up either the extensions or the themes.

Yep ... A full profile backup was writing the backup file (profileFx?{profName}) in the profile directory itself. That means that whenever a full profile backup occurred, it backed up the previous backup as well. Thus, the backup file size was growing exponentially and taking respectively longer to complete. Fixed*

4. More of a request than a bug. When doing a full profile backup I'd really like to be able to exclude the cache directory.

I've played with this before, but as far as I can tell it seems the cache is stored someplace other than the profile directory. (Type about:cache for more info). If it's not in the profile directory, then it should not be getting backed up as part of a full profile backup. You could, of course, create a FEBE user-defined backup entry to include the cache, but usually cache memory is not something you'd want to save for prosperity.

* Fixes will appear in the next beta release.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:42 am

streetwolf wrote:latest version is not working right. I only managed to backup everything only a few times. Just ran FEBE, selective, and there are no themes nor extensions in the backup folder, everything else is there including my user-defined stuff.

**** Update ****

I was running with display results page set to Summary. I then disabled the option and FEBE backed up everything. I set it back to Summary and it still worked. I think this setting, depending on how you set it, is the cause of my problem.

Seems setting it to details screws things up for me. Summary seems to backup everything except that my extensions/themes do not show up in the report.

Could not duplicate with the version I'm fixing now. Let's see what happens in the next release.

As far as the extensions not appearing on the summary report, this is normal. Only the total number of of extensions/themes backed up should appear (hence summary as apposed to detail). But of course the extensions/themes should still get backup up to the destination directory regardless of the results report format.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin77 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:25 am

cbaker_admin wrote:

I've played with this before, but as far as I can tell it seems the cache is stored someplace other than the profile directory. (Type about:cache for more info). If it's not in the profile directory, then it should not be getting backed up as part of a full profile backup. You could, of course, create a FEBE user-defined backup entry to include the cache, but usually cache memory is not something you'd want to save for prosperity.

* Fixes will appear in the next beta release.

I don't know about Windows but on Linux the cache is stored as a sub-directory of the main profile so when backing up a full profile, if I don't first clear the cache it can become very large.
Gavin77

Postby makondo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks for the update, Chuck! And thanks for considering the prefs import/export!
makondo

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:05 am

FEBE7.0b201010121030 is now available. Changes include:

* Verify extension count is now correct.
* Quick backup no longer shows plugins
* FEBE uses the <em:unpack> install.rdf directive. This means that FEBE will always install in a directory (like it used to) instead of remaining as an xpi. This was necessary because FEBE requires access to files (like the results report, etc.) that can be copied/modified during a backup. Chrome files cannot be copied (at least not easily or efficiently).
* FEBE now maintains a list of extensions/themes that it cannot backup or process. There are currently three items on this list, but will be updated as needed:

1. .NET Framework Assistant for Firefox
2. Firefox default theme
3. Google Gears plugin

* Added new FEBE preference "Chrome script timeout (seconds)" so user may set the Firefox preference "dom.max_chrome_script_run_time" to a value that will allow FEBE to complete without "Script is busy" error message.
* Import/Export FEBE preferences now implemented.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin77 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:51 am

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101013 Firefox/4.0b8pre
FEBE Version: 7.0b201010121030

Selective backup still will not backup my themes & extensions. The only one that was backed up was FEBE itself.
Quick backup works now though.
Gavin77

Postby jlyst » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:22 am

"restore preferences" seems to fail abysmally for me, not sure what the prob is, but my new ff install def. seems a bit sicker.
osx leopard, trying to restore selectively backed-up stuff from ff3.6.... using ff4 b6 & latest febe 7.
jlyst

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO