FEBE 7.0beta7, CLEO 5.0beta2, and OPIE 3.0beta - bug reports

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE 7.0beta7, CLEO 5.0beta2, and OPIE 3.0beta - bug rep

Postby HockeyPhool » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:52 am

Chuck, see my responses inline.

cbaker_admin wrote:This is the first report I've seen describing the FEBE options window behavior. I'm not sure what is causing the problem, but ...

The "Error: attempt to run compile-and-go script on a cleared scope" error is a known Firefox bug. I have seen it occur in my installation several times but so far it doesn't seem to really effect anything that I can see.

If the errors aren't related to the problem I'm reporting I'm happy to ignore them. I don't see them unless I have the error console open.

The extensions that FEBE cannot get information about (i.e., RockmastersiGoogleSidebarCollapse{}.xpi, ctc.) are GreaseMonkey scripts, aren't they? These scripts are not true extensions and FEBE cannot back them up as such. Is it possible to have these scripts stored somewhere else than the profile/extensions directory? That way FEBE can back them up as a user-defined backup entry instead of attempting to rebuild them as normal, installable, extension xpis.

Yes, they are GreaseMonkey scripts and it made sense to me that FEBE cannot back them up. As far as I know I have no control over their location. If FEBE cannot back them up I'm not too concerned - especially since it's not related to the problem in question.

It looks like you have two versions of Java Console installed. These are proxy extensions and cannot be backed up as regular extensions. If they appear in FEBE Options > What to backup > Ignore list, you should have them checked off.

I do have the Java Console checked in the Ignore list. Strangely, that dialog lists "Java Console-{6.0.22}" twice, instead of one 6.0.22 and one 6.0.17. I have disabled the 6.0.17 extension in the Addon Manager, FWIW.

You have Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant installed. Do you really want or need it? See this article.

Thanks for the link - I've removed that extension (which I had disabled, BTW). Removing it had no effect on the bug I'm reporting, however.

So, do you have any ideas how to determine what's actually wrong? I will do what I can to provide further information about the problem, as long as it doesn't require administrative access to my workstation (which I do not have). I will also try to recreate the problem at home, but I'm running FF5 on Windows 7 there so the conditions may be different.
HockeyPhool

Postby HockeyPhool » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:05 am

I'm seeing something strange with OPIE 3.0beta. I've installed the extension in Firefox 5, running on Windows XP Pro SP 3.

If I open the Add-ons Manager and click the "Options" button in the OPIE 3.0beta extension, a very small dialog box pops up that has the title "Problem load..." (as much as I can tell):

OPIE_error.GIF
Picture of the "Problem load..." dialog box
OPIE_error.GIF (3.44 KiB) Viewed 6840 times

I cannot resize the box to see the full title or any buttons or other contents. I can close the box.

I am able to launch OPIE from the Tools menu, and the configure tab allows me to get a list of installed extensions. I don't recall if there are other preferences or options that I should be able to see from the Add-ons Manager.
HockeyPhool

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 am

@HockeyPhool; The inability to resize options windows is a know "trivial" bug. I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon. When you open OPIE via the Tools menu, can you see all four tab icons?

As for the original problem of strangeness with the option panes, I have a thought. Try (with Fx closed) deleting and/or renaming your profile/localstore.rdf file. This file stores (among other things) the last pane of any option window opened. Maybe something in that file is corrupt.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby HockeyPhool » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:18 am

cbaker_admin wrote:@HockeyPhool; The inability to resize options windows is a know "trivial" bug. I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon. When you open OPIE via the Tools menu, can you see all four tab icons?

Yes, I can see all the tab icons.

As for the original problem of strangeness with the option panes, I have a thought. Try (with Fx closed) deleting and/or renaming your profile/localstore.rdf file. This file stores (among other things) the last pane of any option window opened. Maybe something in that file is corrupt.

I tried your suggestion, but it did not change the behavior I reported.
HockeyPhool

Postby AMG » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi

My info for you i have tested FEBE 7.0beta7 under FF 8.0a1 is not working !!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
AMG

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm not going to worry about it until the Fx 8 beta come out.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby bernard » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi Chuck,

I’m new to FEBE, but I’ve been testing it out and quickly becoming a fan if you will. I think you’ve created a fine addition to FF. :-) Anyhow, I’m running FF 5.0 on Windows 7 Pro (x64) and have your latest FEBE 7.0 beta7 version installed. For the most part, all seems to be working well, but I have found what seems to be a couple bugs. Firstly, when I want to do a Quick Backup (Backup Utilities… --> FEBE --> Quick Backup, the “create single xpi” option does not work properly. It allows me to select the extensions/themes I want to backup, but then, when I click Backup Now it only creates a QBuTmp folder in my Backup Destination Directory with the selected items, but never generates the actual {filename}.xpi file. Initially, I thought I was simply doing something wrong (being new and all), but later, when I installed the FEBE 6.x on my old test system (running Vista with FF 3.6), everything worked as expected. So, it appears to be something odd in FEBE 7.0 .

As for the other bug, there seems to be an issue with global extensions – namely Java Console. When FF 4.0 was released, I believe that it included Java Console 6.0.25; but once upgraded to FF 5.0, it appears that these bits are removed and replaced with version 6.0.26 . In FEBE 7.0b7, I can use the Ignore List to bypass version 6.0.26 so that I don’t get an error message about not being able to back it up. However, since FF does not let you remove this particular extension and it does not appear in the list of extension/themes of the Ignore List, I always get an error for Java Console 6.0.25 when I do a backup. That in itself is not a big deal, but the problem is that because of this, any time a scheduled backup runs it requires user intervention to click OK and skip the extension when FEBE can’t find it. :-( That said, I don’t know if there’s an easy fix for this, but by all means, I just wanted to make you aware. In short, thanks once again for creating what is on its way to being a phenomenal extension!
bernard

Postby Ertje » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:34 am

Hi Chuck,

I'm using FEBE 7.0beta7 and "Preparing results page" seems to run forever, backup-file is created.
I had the same problem with beta6.

Is this a known issue?
Do you need any more info?

Greetings,
Rene
Ertje

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:41 pm

It is a known issue, but I cannot duplicate it yet. Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Error Console)? Please install the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences", "Verify extension directory" and "Check AddonManager functionality" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Advanced.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again) examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Ertje » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:32 am

cbaker_admin wrote:It is a known issue, but I cannot duplicate it yet. Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Error Console)? Please install the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences", "Verify extension directory" and "Check AddonManager functionality" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Advanced.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again) examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.

Hi Chuck,

Thanks! It's working now!

Below some info with which you maybe can reproduce or figure out what went wrong with my FF, FEBE & config.

I couldn't use Console2, because it's not availabe for FF5.0

Error before any fix attempts:
Error: febeBuItemVerifiedList[key] is undefined
Source File: chrome://febe/content/febe.js
Line: 845

I did the "Clear FEBE preferences".

"Verify extension directory":
*** Attempting to fix errors ***"
{1018e4d6-728f-4b20-ad56-37578a4de76b}(2) is not a valid extension or theme. ** Item will be removed **
{37fa1426-b82d-11db-8314-0800200c9a66}(2) is not a valid extension or theme. ** Item will be removed **
{4BBDD651-70CF-4821-84F8-2B918CF89CA3}(2) is not a valid extension or theme. ** Item will be removed **
{77b819fa-95ad-4f2c-ac7c-486b356188a9}(2) is not a valid extension or theme. ** Item will be removed **

"Check AddonManager functionality":
Addon with GUID of {E0CC257A-4D42-4ED7-AFAF-0AE6422F60D0} is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of ff-bmboc@bytemobile.com is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory

Greetings,
Rene
Ertje

Postby JohnMAtlGa » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:49 pm

I've been having the neverending results page on Beta 6 & 7. I'm running Firefox 5 on Kubuntu 11.04.

Let's see if I can upload a screen shot of the error console

febe.jpg
Error console while creating results page 7.0b7
febe.jpg (32.25 KiB) Viewed 6746 times

The backup is created. I just never see a results page.

John
JohnMAtlGa

Postby JohnMAtlGa » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:05 pm

FWIW, once I used the "Clear FEBE Preferences" trick and recreated my preferences, the results page started appearing normally again.

I did notice an anomaly while entering items to ignore (scroll to the bottom and check the buttons)
Attachments
febe1.jpg
febe1.jpg (71.33 KiB) Viewed 6746 times
JohnMAtlGa

Postby Ertje » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi Chuck,

FYI: I've reported the same error as John and i'm running Windows 7 64bit.

Greetings, Rene
Ertje

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:26 am

@JohnMAtlGa and Ertje: What theme are you using? On my install with the Fx default theme, all is as it should be. Do both the buttons function or is one of them a "dummy" button?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby RohitK » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Doesn't work with Aurora 7.0a2.

Starts a back up and then the progress bar continues infinitely.

Error console gives this:

This error comes 8 times.

Error: JSON.encode is not a function
Source File: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js
Line: 363

EDIT:

If it helps, here's the block of code in febecommon.js where the error occurs:

else{
// Create data file and add Fx default theme
var fos = Cc["@mozilla.org/network/file-output-stream;1"].createInstance(Ci.nsIFileOutputStream);
fos.init(febeDataFile, 0x02 | 0x08 | 0x20, 0755, 0); // write, create, truncate

var cos = Cc["@mozilla.org/intl/converter-output-stream;1"].createInstance(Ci.nsIConverterOutputStream);
cos.init(fos, "UTF-8", 0, 0x0000);

var item = new Object();
var id = "{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}";
var name = febeMsg[354];
item.id = id;
item.name = name;
febeIgnoreList[id] = true;
var jstr = JSON.encode(item); ----> Error line, of course
cos.writeString(jstr+"\n");
cos.close();
fos.close();
}