FEBE7.3.0 js error with FF21.0

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

FEBE7.3.0 js error with FF21.0

Postby talonts » Wed May 29, 2013 5:38 am

As soon as FF updated to 21.0, FEBE started spitting out 2 js errors at the very start of my backups (I alternate Full Profile and Selective):

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.remove]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febe.js :: febeDelISO8601Dirs :: line 424" data: no]

C:\Working\!_Backup

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.remove]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febe.js :: febeDelISO8601Dirs :: line 424" data: no]

C:\Working\!_Backup

I'm assuming this has to do with deleting older backup directories? I have 11, but have it set for 9. But this error has popped up multiple times, so I would expect more than 11 if it has failed that often.

Judging by all the other external issues, Mozilla really screwed the pooch with the latest update...
talonts

Re: FEBE7.3.0 js error with FF21.0

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed May 29, 2013 11:19 am

Yes ... Fx 20 and 21 seems to be interpreting file permissions differently than previous versions. See this thread for a fix.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby talonts » Wed May 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks, I had to create the Everyone listing, then had to uncheck Read Only multiple times on the dir, but it seemed to have finally stuck and the error is gone for now.
talonts

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed May 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Changing the Read Only attribute on a folder in Windows 7 does not have any effect with this problem. Believe it or not, Microsoft's definition of "Read Only" on a directory is different that what the rest of the civilized world believes it to be.

Note Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer.

The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders. When a folder has the Read-Only attribute set it causes Explorer to request the Desktop.ini of that folder to see if any special folder settings need to be set. It has been seen where if a network share that has a large amount of folders set to Read-only, it can cause Explorer to take longer then what is expected to render the contents of that share while it waits on the retrieval of the Desktop.ini files. The slower the network connectivity to the share the longer this process can take to the point where Explorer may timeout waiting for the data and render nothing or appear to hang.
Source

It would appear that Microsoft treats this bug as a "feature".

Bottom line is don't be too concerned about the "Read Only" attribute. Just giving "Full control" of the directory to "Everyone" should suffice.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby talonts » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:34 pm

This has been happening again with at least FF23, if not 22. Looking at the older backup dirs, it is obviously deleting most of the extensions, as I had 4 or 5 dirs with just ClassicCompact and ClassicCompactOptions in all of them. Not sure why the permissions would be different on only those 2, considering that FEBE is the one that is creating the files.

I have hand deleted all of those dirs, but judging by past experience, I will get the errors in 2 days on another older dir if you need me to check anything.
talonts

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:22 pm

This is an interesting problem. It does not appear to be related to directory permissions. The actual error is:

Code: Select all
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.remove]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febe.js :: febeDelISO8601Dirs :: line 431"  data: no]

which is a generalized error.

I am able to duplicate the problem, but cannot figure out a work-around. I even tried putting 'Classic Compact' and 'Classic Compact Options' in my FEBE ignore list and set them both up as FEBE user-defined backups. They would get backed up, but FEBE could not delete the directories. The only odd thing I could find was that the theme itself is named '{D46E8522-6E86-44b1-A622-58C0668AD78E}.xpi'. Themes are supposed to have a '.jar' extension, not '.xpi'.

What's even more strange is that FEBE still backs them up even though they are both checked in the ignore list. I've never seen that before. I am going to put them in the 'Extensions that do not work with FEBE' list until and if I can resolve the problem.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby DevClassicCompact » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:40 am

Hi I'm the developer of Classic Compact and was just pointed to this thread about possible compatibility issues. I'm not familiar with FEBE; however, I can give some background on Classic Compact.
  1. There are actually two XPI files associated with Classic Compact.
    1. The Classic Compact theme itself. As was noted above, its XPI file is "{D46E8522-6E86-44b1-A622-58C0668AD78E}.xpi".
    2. The Classic Compact Options extension "notreal.ccoptions@environmentalchemistry.com.xpi"
  2. The GUID file name of Classic Compact vs the fake email address name used for Classic Compact Options is due to their age. Initially, add-ons would get a globally unique identifier for their add-on identifier, but later on, Mozilla switched us over to using a unique fake email address the developer controlled. In this case, I own the domain environmentalchemistry.com so I chose the email address "notreal.ccoptions@environmentalchemistry.com" for Classic Compact Option's GUID.
  3. While in the past themes normally used a JAR extension, this is now a discouraged practice. The recommended practice is both themes and extensions to use the XPI extension. From a technical standpoint, Classic Compact has to use an XPI extension because it is delivered as a multipart add-on. When it is downloaded from addons.mozilla.org, Classic Compact comes as a large XPI file that is then extracted with the theme and extension XPI files being extracted from the master file and then installed in the profile's extensions folder.
  4. Classic Compact is developed on a Win7 box and then tested on other platforms.

I did observe that both of Classic Compact's XPI files have the "read only" attribute checked while other extensions did not in my profile's extensions folder. Maybe during the course of my development process, the read only flag is getting placed on the XPI files and this is causing the problem. Have you tried removing the "read only" flag and see if the problem goes away. If it does, I'll try to remove the read only flag in future versions of CC. I cannot think of any other reason that Classic Compact would not be playing nice with FEBE's backup process.
DevClassicCompact

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:02 pm

The problem seems to have disappeared with the FEBE 8.0 release. I'll make note of this in the Extensions that do not work with FEBE thread.

Thanks for the input!
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to FEBE/CLEO