FEBE 8.0 beta available for testing

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE 8.0 beta available for testing

Postby Chem456 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:50 pm

Well, I'm aware of that, but that does not have the advantages of a source control management system.
Chem456

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri May 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Sorry ... I did not mean to imply you were a n00b. But even some of the more technically inclined users do not realize an .xpi file is just a renamed .zip.

BTW, FEBE v8.0.2 is available.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Chem456 » Sat May 03, 2014 1:53 am

Thanks for 8.0.2.

I really hope you'll reconsider using a source control management system like git on GitHub. That way people will be able to provide patches easily. Now things are just uncontrolled to say the least.

For example, I have managed to reduce the xpi size and make a little cleanup. Also, I think it would be very useful to have JSHint properly set up. It reveals some nice findings.
Chem456

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon May 05, 2014 5:23 pm

I just had a thought. Have you done much Fx extension development? If so, I was wondering if you would like to take over development/support of TEBE (the Thunderbird version of FEBE).

Some time ago, Gary (spaceShot9) re-wrote TEBE to get it up to the then AMO standards. It never got out of beta and was not submitted to AMO. A lot has changed since then and TEBE really needs to be re-written again to wrap all functions into a single object and remove deprecated xpcomm references. It does, however, work now with the current Thunderbird 24.5.0 release.

I haven't heard from Gary in well over a year and he hasn't returned my emails or even logged into this forum since Jan '13. I have to assume he has been too busy or has gone on to different projects.

I really do not have the time to invest in re-writing the extension myself but, as you suggested, it may be a good candidate to post on GitHub.

Let me know your thoughts.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Chem456 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:26 pm

I haven't done any Fx extentsion development myself and I don't use Thunderbird myself :/.

But I certainly advise you to make your addons sources available on GitHub repositories. The open source community is much bigger than one might expect. Just make sure you make clear that the sources are available when that happens, so that people are aware of that.
Chem456

Previous

Return to FEBE/CLEO