FEBE 8.0 beta available for testing

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE 8.0 beta available for testing

Postby JBattin » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:18 pm

I installed this version because of an issue I sent an email about. The issue was caused when an extension is waiting on completing an upgrade. I have been unable to test for this at this time.

I do have another issue though. I'm on the When to backup tab. I select daily set the time and click on set schedule time. On that tab and in a message that pops up it says: Next Scheduled Backup will occur -- No Backup Scheduled --.

I looked in my Windows 7 Task Scheduler and saw nothing for FEBE scheduled. I can manually run the backup0 without issue.

I am on Windows 7 64-bit, FF 26 and the latest 8.0 beta 4.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Added: The software keeps popping up the box like every hour saying that the backup was skipped and wanting to run a backup. It says no backup scheduled (or something similar) and even if I press Cancel it still runs the backup. I finally selected no more notifications this session. Also the message says the next backup is scheduled NaN.

Thanks.

Jan
JBattin

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:47 am

When you updated from v7.0.3.1 to v8.0beta, did you run FEBE Options > Advanced > Clear FEBE preferences? This is something that must be done whenever updating from a major version (like from 7.x to 8.x)
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby JBattin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:24 am

Yes I did, I had to set everything back up. But I did it after the download and before restarting the browser. Should I have done it before I did the download?
JBattin

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:47 am

So you actually cleared the v7.3.0.1 preferences. Clearing the preferences resets them to the default value, it doesn't remove them. When you install v8.0beta, the same preferences that were reset in v7.3.0.1 become the values that v8.0beta will use (and their default values are wrong for v8.0beta). You must clear the preferences after v8.0beta is actually installed (which would be after the download and restart).
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby JBattin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:39 am

Your instructions don't say when to clear them. But I cleared them and installed vs 8, when I went into the options I had to setup the settings again. So What should I do now? Remove it, restart browser, download and install?

Added: I went in and did a clear of the options, FF rebooted and I set up the settings. When I selected daily for the backup and pressed Set Schedule, a window pops up and says "the next scheduled backup will occur on -- No backup is scheduled --"
Added: I did a remove, rebooted FF, installed and rebooted FF, it came up with the options I had set previously. Still says no backup scheduled.
JBattin

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Yes, you should clear the preferences only after beta4 is installed completely (meaning after the restart). This is something that you only need to do once. After you click the "Clear FEBE preferences" button, Firefox will restart. At that point you will need to set your FEBE options (Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options). The only option that absolutely has to be set is the Where to backup > Backup destination directory. Once that is set, close the options window and attempt to perform a backup. If all goes well, go back into FEBE options and try to schedule a backup.

Note that the text "Next scheduled backup will occur: -- No backup is scheduled --" will be displayed while you are actively changing the scheduled time. The proper date will display only after the "Set schedule time" button is clicked.

When you click the "Set schedule time" button, you should get a FEBE alert message that says something similar to:

The next scheduled backup will occur on Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:03:00 PM

Do you get such a message?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby JBattin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:17 pm

I have done all of that, I removed it, restarted FF, installed again. set up the options, etc. When II click on Set Schedule Time it says nothing is scheduled, both in the options and on the popup. Where are the settings stored at? I will remove it, restart FF, then delete the settings and then install again.

Thanks.
JBattin

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:31 pm

This is becoming quite strange. No matter how I play with the schedule window, I can't duplicate what you are seeing.

Anyway, to manually reset the appropriate preferences, type about:config in the Firefox location bar. In the "Search:" field, paste extensions.febe.schedule. Fifteen preferences should show. All the ones that have a status of "user set" (they will also be in bold) you need to reset. You do this by right-clicking on the preference and clicking "Reset". Do this for all 15 items and see if you can schedule a backup.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:03 pm

I just tried to duplicate this issue on another computer and was able to do so. Do you have more than one Firefox window open at a time? The other computer opened up three windows when Firefox was started. FEBE only works in what it determines is the "controller" window. This window can be determined by whether or not the FEBE icon is located in the statusbar (View > Toolbars > Add-on bar). It is a round clock icon and only appears in the controlling window. If you try to set a scheduled backup in a Firefox window that does not have that icon, you will get the "-- No backup is scheduled --" message.

The reason for the controlling window is to prevent every open Firefox window from performing a backup at the same scheduled time.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby JBattin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:16 pm

I only have 6 bold. I have reset them. tried again and it didn't work. Removed and installed beta 3, same issue, so went back to my problem version 7. No issue setting schedule time.

In the meantime your most recent post came through and yes I couldn't live without multiple windows with multiple tabs. So I don't know if I've moved around on the windows but I know which one has the clock, so I'm going to remove version 7, restart FF, install 8, restart FF, clear options, then try setting schedule again, all while opening up the options from the page with the clock. Does this sound right?

Note: I removed 7, restarted FF, I installed 8, restarted FF, but I don't have a clock in any of the windows at this point.
I opened options from this window, clear preferences, restart FF. I still don't have a clock. Under when to backup, I just selected daily, didn't change the time and clicked set schedule. Received message saying nothing scheduled. I still don't have a clock though. I looked at the config, and the time and frequency is correct, which it has been. In schedule.next.backup it still says -- no backup is scheduled --
JBattin

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Ok ... Let me play with the code in that section and see if I can come up with something. I may just have FEBE options available only from the controlling window. That may solve it.

In theory, there should be one and only one window with the clock icon. But when opening multiple instances of Firefox at once, there may be a timing issue and FEBE is tripping over itself when assigning the controlling window.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby JBattin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:45 am

I don't want to mess up my main windows but I opened a standalone window and the results are the same. Although the clock appeared on that window.
JBattin

Postby bwallace95 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:05 am

Beta8.4 solved my extension data errors loading issue, and did not keep crashing firefox like 8.3. All seems well the past few days. :thumbup: Thanks
bwallace95

Postby Bito » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:27 am

Hello,

I tried FEBE 8.0 beta4 with FF 26.0 (German version) on Win 7 prof.
There is a strange behaviour when checking the option "Use timestamped directories" on the "Where to backup" tab:

Until yesterday, with FEBE 7.3.0.1, after clicking "Perform backup", my "backupped" files were correctly found in a folder called e.g. "FEBE 2014 01-27 16.31.11" within my self-defined "Backup destination directory".

Now, with FEBE 8.0 beta4, the folder with the files is called "FEBE NaN NaN-NaN NaN.NaN.NaN" -- no matter whether the "Timestamp directory format" was set to "ISO8601" or "European".

Additionally, on the "FEBE Results Report" I can read: "Total processing time: NaN seconds"

I can reproduce this several times, but FEBE always creates another folder with the name "FEBE NaN NaN-NaN NaN.NaN.NaN" -- and, surprisingly, in this case it obviously is no problem for Windows that there are several folders with the same name within the "Backup destination directory."

Can someone reproduce this or is it a "speciality" of my configuration?

Greetings from Munich, Germany.
Bito
Bito

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:11 pm

@Bito:

I'm not able to duplicate the problem. I am, however, not using the German version of Fx. I have set my english version to use the de-DE locale but, since FEBE beta does not have any non-english locales yet, everything in FEBE is in English (as, I'm assuming, is the same with your setup).

Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Web Developer > Error Console)? Please install the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences", "Verify extension directory" and "Check AddonManager functionality" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Advanced.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After the backup completes, examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO