FEBE 8.0 beta available for testing

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: FEBE 8.0 beta available for testing

Postby Bito » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:18 am

Hi Chuck,

thank you for your help. I did the following:

1. Install Console2
2. Clear FEBE preferences
3. restart FF
4. start Console2

5. Open FEBE options
then the Console showed two FEBE-related messages:

Warning: ReferenceError: assignment to undeclared variable cacheDir: chrome://febe/content/febe.js line: 7713
Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property this.febeExtList[(intermediate value).id]: chrome://febe/content/febe.js line: 772

6. click "Verify extension directory"

result: "53 extensions/themes found"

Console shows message:
Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property this.febeExtList[(intermediate value).id]: chrome://febe/content/febe.js line: 772

7. click "check addon manager functionality"

The window shows this message:

"Parsing extension directory C:\Users\bt.HP\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\90p6qmf4.default\extensions

guid: abhere2@moztw.org
isXpi: true
isProxy: false
installlocation: C:\Users\bt.HP\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\90p6qmf4.default\extensions\abhere2@moztw.org.xpi"

The Console says:
Warning: ReferenceError: extDirList is not defined: chrome://febe/content/febe.js line: 698

8. Put extension "addbookmarkhere2" to ignore list because of the message above.

9. Clear error console
10. Set "Backup destination directory" to an external USB-drive (I prefer to have my backups on a USB stick, not on the harddisk)

Console says:
Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property FEBE.febeMsg[5]: chrome://febe/content/febe.js line: 6504

11. chose "What to backup" with checks on the following items (as I used to do with former versions of FEBE):

Selective
Backup extensions
Backup bookmars (.json)
Backup bookmarks (.html)
Backup preferences
Backup usernames and passwords

Then console shows three messages:

Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property this.febeMsg[356]: chrome://febe/content/febe.js line: 916

Error: d is null: chrome://febe/content/febe.js line: 7385

12. Chose "Where tobackup" with check on "Use timestamp directories" (ISO 8601)
console: no message

13. Close "FEBE options"
14. Restarted Firefox and opened console2

15. Delete old Backup-Folders called "FEBE NaN NaN-NaN NaN.NaN.NaN" within the Backup destination directory" on the USB stick

16. Perform Backup

Console gives two messages:

Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property this.docURL: chrome://febe/content/febe.js line: 1258

After all, in my backup Directory I find a new folder called "FEBE NaN NaN-NaN NaN.NaN.NaN" containing the following files:

52 xpi files (the extensions)
usernames-passwords{default}.json
bookmarks{default}.json
prefs{default}.js
Results - FEBE NaN NaN-NaN NaN.NaN.NaN.html

IN FF, the Tab "FEBE Results" has the following header:

FEBE Results Report

Detail format
Version: 8.0beta4
by: Chuck Baker

Mittwoch, 29. Januar 2014 12:38:34
Item count: 56 total backed up — 52 extensions, 0 themes, 4 additional items.
Backup type: Selective, Manual, Mode: Asynchronous
Backup location: E:\Firefox-Profilbackup\FEBE NaN NaN-NaN NaN.NaN.NaN
Total processing time: NaN seconds

Finally, I can say that all data are saved as I wanted it, but the name of the backup folder still is "FEBE NaN NaN-NaN NaN.NaN.NaN".

To me, this would be no problem, if this behaviour is just a consequence of the "wrong" language, because then I only should wait for the "official" version of FEBE 8 which surely will be translated, as it was the case with version 7.xx

Greetings from Munich, Germany.
Bito
Bito

Postby sirald66 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:30 pm

WIN7 HP SP1 x64
FIREFOX 26.0 x32
FEBE 8.0 BETA 4

Backup On Browser Startup happening more than once per session. I cleared the FEBE Preferences. Aside from backups when I return from Shutdown / Hibernate / Sleep, these random backups don't yet seem to have a pattern. At random times after the browser startup and initial backup. Settings are:

FEBE OPTIONS : WHAT TO BACKUP : Backup type Both : Backup items 'Backup extensions' (Backup themes deselected) : Additional items (Select All)

FEBE OPTIONS: WHERE TO BACKUP : C:\Users\beau-chaine\Desktop\A N D Y - 2\B A C K U P\FIREFOX\FEBE-8

FEBE OPTIONS : WHEN TO BACKUP : No scheduled backup : Backup on browser startup : Days to wait between backups 0 : Backup on startup grace period 60 seconds : Backup Reminder days 3
sirald66

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:07 am

@Bito

I'm pretty certain the problems you are experiencing are due to the lack of a German locale. For example, the error "undefined property FEBE.febeMsg[5]" is directly related to not finding a certain translated file. Once one error occurs, they start to cascade into many error affecting different parts of the code.

@sirald66
How long after startup do the random backups start? Is is within seconds, minutes, or longer? Does more than one random backup occur? If so, is there any pattern as to the time between these backups?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby JBattin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:15 am

Hi Chuck,
Have you been able to resolve the issue I'm having where even though I set the schedule, it never sets? A couple days ago, I ran into an issue where captcha wasn't working, basically no matter what I entered, it wasn't correct. I tried to do a safe boot, but something didn't go right I guess. I didn't realize it wasn't right, but all of a sudden FEBE started running, one after another. I again rebooted in Safe Mode, and resolved the issue of having two versions of flash.

I just happened to look down on this window and noticed the clock, so I tried setting the calendar again, but it still says no scheduled backup, even though in the options I have set one.
JBattin

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Yes, I am still working on the problem and am close to a solution. I thought I had the problem fixed but noticed that whenever I opened the FEBE options window the click icon would disappear. I'm working on that part now.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby JBattin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:40 pm

OK Wonderful. I have another request. Since the scheduling is not working right for me, I was going to use the delay to run a backup 24 hours from now, but the max is 4 hours, can that be increased?

Thanks.
JBattin

Postby sirald66 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:34 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:@sirald66
How long after startup do the random backups start? Is is within seconds, minutes, or longer? Does more than one random backup occur? If so, is there any pattern as to the time between these backups?

Ok, the pattern is opening new windows (not tabs) triggers the backup on startup timer. So for example when I share things to Facebook, the pop-up window triggers my 60 second count down.

I tried this with a fresh Firefox profile and no extensions except FEBE 8.0 BETA 4. Unfortunately those tests hang and I have to abort, but the new window trigger appears to be the same.
sirald66

Postby Bito » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:42 am

cbaker_admin wrote:@Bito

I'm pretty certain the problems you are experiencing are due to the lack of a German locale. For example, the error "undefined property FEBE.febeMsg[5]" is directly related to not finding a certain translated file. Once one error occurs, they start to cascade into many error affecting different parts of the code.

Okay. So I go back to v7.3.0.1 and wait until one day the new version 8 is ready for my German FF. I will tell you if the mysterious behaviour then is gone.
Bito

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:28 pm

@Bito

Ok ... thanks for your patience.

@sirald66

Yes, FEBE 8 so far is having problems dealing with multiple windows. I am working on that now. Beta 5 will contain the fixes. Thanks for your time in testing.

@JBattin

The maximum delayed backup time is hard-coded. If I were to change it, it would not be available until the beta5 release which will (hopefully) contain the fix for the multiple window problem. In the meantime you could always do a on-demand backup (clicking the FEBE toolbar button) which should only take a few seconds to complete.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby eugenkss » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:06 am

Bito wrote:
cbaker_admin wrote:@Bito

Okay. So I go back to v7.3.0.1 and wait until one day the new version 8 is ready for my German FF. I will tell you if the mysterious behaviour then is gone.

I encounter the same problem as Bito, but I use Firefox in English (v26, now v27), so German FF can't be the reason.
The issue is: The backup directory should have the date/time label, but it is only labelled "FEBE NaN NaN-NaN NaN.NaN.NaN" instead.
My OS: Windows XP SP3 (32bit, German)

I have successfully used FEBE 7.3.0.1 before (except for sometimes the "Extensions still loading").
My updates are scheduled for browser startup, doing "both" backup types every 4 days.

Another (related?) bug: With the current 8.0beta4, the automatic backup at browser startup doesn't seem to work with me, and I don't receive reminders about it.
Manual backups seem work, but naturally overwrite the previous one due to the same directory name.

Wondering about any relation between these two problems: Could it be that FEBE (v8beta) has issues accessing or processing the date/time somehow, at least in German Windows?
eugenkss

Postby JBattin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:45 pm

Something weird with mine. Somehow the backups are running, randomly at the correct time. This probably started after a reboot, which I rarely do. They ran on the 2/6, 2/7, 2/9. Don't know why it didn't 2/8 because my system was up. It still says No Backup is Scheduled. Thought I would pass this along.
JBattin

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:13 pm

... backups are running, randomly at the correct time.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. You mention that "it still says No Backup is Scheduled." If you have no backup scheduled, what is the "correct time"? Do you mean that you have a Daily Backup scheduled in FEBE Options, but the statusbar icon tooltip says "No Backup is Scheduled"?

In any event, I hope to have FEBE8.0beta5 ready in a day or two. It addresses many of the issues when running Fx in multiple windows. I believe I have them fixed and will release the beta as soon as I can solve the German locale date problem that Bito and eugenkss have reported.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby JBattin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Well I have a time scheduled to run Daily in When to Backup, but in When To Backup it still says - No Backiup Scheduled down at the bottom of the box where you schedule. So what I mean is it is randomly running on a daily basis at the time I have schedduled.
Looking forward to beta 5.

Thanks for the plugin. It is awesome and has saved me a couple times when I had issues with Firefox.
JBattin

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:28 pm

@Bito and @eugenkss:

If you go to about:config (type that in the Fx location bar) and paste extensions.febe.buStartTime into the "Search:" bar what is in the "Value" field? Please paste the value here in this thread (right-click on the line and select "Copy Value").
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Bito » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:13 am

with FEBE v.7.3.0.1 and using FF 27.00 (German) on Win 7 prof. the value is:
extensions.febe.buStartTime; 1391683727310

With that version of FEBE the backupped files are found within the backup folder with a "true" time-stamped directory (ISO8601)
So, everything is fine, here.

On teh other hand, after deinstalling FEBE, clearing all FEBE-related preferences, reinstalling FEBE 8 beta4 and performing a backup under the conditions I mentioned above (I never actived any scheduled backup), the value is:
extensions.febe.buStartTime;Montag, 10. Februar 2014 09:47:48 (i.e the actual date and time of the manual backup)

BUT: The backup folder (though containing all files desired) now still and again is called "FEBE NaN NaN-NaN NaN.NaN.NaN"
Bito

PreviousNext

Return to FEBE/CLEO