FEBE 8.0.3-"When To Backup" Page Not Saving Resizing

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

FEBE 8.0.3-"When To Backup" Page Not Saving Resizing

Postby philip01 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:30 pm

I am currently using 8.0.3 on 2 different FF profiles on a Windows XP Pro SP3 (Desktop)and also on a Win 8.1.1 HP Laptop.
All versions of FEBE on the desktop have always run/looked successful. Now I have a problem when I click on the "When to Backup" icon on the Desktop. The very bottom of that page on the left hand corner below Backup Reminder does not display the lines below the words "Backup Reminder". This problem is not happening on the 8.1.1 Laptop and never happened with 8.0.2 on either System.
I read another forum of yours that said "you can resize the window by stretching either the bottom , the sides, or the corners" and then either FEBE or Windows will remember the size after you close it so when you reopen it, it will open to the correct (stretched out) size.
I tried resizing it by stretching the window down and then clicking on another window icon and then clicking on "When to Backup" and the information was there, but after I closed FEBE by clicking on OK in the bottom right corner and reopening it, the "When to Backup" window Shrunk back to the original size cutting off the Remainder Days, Last Backup, and Backup Type.
I left all of my settings for FF (profile settings and FEBE settings) as they were on the default profile for version 29.0 (used FEBE 8.0.2, no problems) and 29.0.1 (first FEBE 8.0.2 THEN 8.0.3). FEBE 8.0.2 caused no problems, only 8.0.3 did.
The Second Profile is set the same as the default except it does not have the Add-On "Classic Theme Restorer", but FEBE 8.0.3 has the same problem.
I removed 8.0.3 from the add-ons that were "connected to the Second Profile" and then re-installed it, but it came back with the same problem (the bottom of only the "When to Backup" window was to short and wouldn't save the resizing when I stretched it). None of the other windows are coming up to short (or truncating data anywhere on the window).
I have placed an attachment of what it looks like, but I am sure you understand my explanation.
I will use the second Profile to test with for any suggestions you come up with, and if we can get it stable for a couple of days, I will transfer the corrections to the "Primary" profile (as that is the profile that i use for all of my "live" work).
Thanks for your time and patience, and if you need any more information, please ask.

Phil
Attachments
FEBE 8.0.3 WIN XP PRO SP3 Desktop.jpg
philip01

Re: FEBE 8.0.3-"When To Backup" Page Not Saving Resizing

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:12 am

When you installed FEBE 8.0.3 in the second profile, did the problem occur immediately or did it work as it should at least once? If you roll back to FEBE 8.0.2, does the problem persist?

The information about Fx layout is stored in the file [profile]/localstore.rdf. I'm wondering if something may have gone wrong with that file. Can you check to make sure the read/write permissions are set correctly? (See this post for an example of setting permissions if you are unsure on how to do it.)
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby philip01 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:08 pm

The problem occurred immediately after installing 8.0.3 ( I never backed up using 8.0.3) on both profiles.

I installed 8.0.3 in both the primary profile and the secondary profile at
the same time for FF 29.0, after about several days of playing with Classic
Theme Restorer (in the Primary Profile) and customizing it. Classic Theme
only exists in the primary profile, not the secondary profile.

As instructed by the developer for Classic Theme (

Classic Theme Restorer (Add - On / Extension)

It is recommended to switch to a new clean profile (or at least delete
'localstore.rdf' from profile folder) to avoid UI issues after upgrading from
Firefox 28 (and older) to Firefox 29 (and newer))

I deleted 'localstore.rdf' from my Primary Profile before installing Classic
Theme. The Secondary Profile is a 100% clean / new profile (created about
5/4/2014), and both profiles had 8.0.2 in them for several days and
successfully backed up only the primary profile on 5/3/14 AND 5/15/14 (never
backed up the secondary profile but did display all of the pages and modified
where the backup would happen).

I did back up 8.0.2 on the Primary Profile on 5/3/2014 for FF29.0 and then on
5/15/14 for FF 29.0.1 (still 8.0.2).

I installed 8.0.3 on both profiles on the same day after 5/15/14, and never
backed up anything with 8.0.3 because I saw the problem when I tried to
change the reminder days to 15 but couldn't click on the up or down arrows to
change the days. I also saw the Last Backup and Backup Type "compressed" and
missing at this time.

As you just suggested, I removed 8.0.3 from the Secondary Profile, restarted
that profile, and rolled back to 8.0.2 (downloaded, installed, and
restarted). 8.0.2 now has the same problem as 8.0.3, but 8.0.2 didn't have
that problem before 5/15/14 (in either profile).

The read/write permissions for D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox Temp\FEBE
Backups for "Everyone" (which is the third on in the list) is set to Full
Control, Modify, Read and Execute, List Folder Contents, Read, and Write.
The above Directory and Sub Directory is where the backups are stored.

If I misunderstood you, I checked the permissions on the 2 profile folders
"D:\Documents and Settings\Phil\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5vo0n6c0.default" and "D:\Documents and
Settings\Phil\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\gyfflccp.FireFox 29"
(they also had "Everyone" set as the same as where the FEBE Backups are being
stored, and also the Mozilla Folder (D:\Documents and
Settings\Phil\Application Data\Mozilla) had their permissions for "Everyone"
set the same.

I did do one other thing. I closed the Secondary Profile (its browser) and
then I deleted the 'localstore.rdf' from the Secondary Profile, then
restarted the browser with the secondary profile, and it came up, but when I
looked at the FEBE "When to Backup" page, it was still crunched and it still
had 8.0.2 in it.

The problem that exists on the Secondary Profile ALSO (and has always) exists
on the Primary Profile.

If you have any other questions or need any other information, please ask.

Phil
philip01

Postby philip01 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 pm

One additional thing was tried:
I closed both Browsers, went to the Secondary Profile, and again deleted 'localstore.rdf' from it.
I reopened the Browser with the Secondary Profile (thinking that maybe having both Browsers with both profiles active at the same time, maybe something was running in contention from one Browser to the other) but still no good, same problem and still same version 8.0.2.

I'm sorry Chuck, but there seems to be another problem:
Even though the "When to Backup" window is crunched, I performed a Backup today, and it executed okay to my hard drive. The problem is that Underneath the Backup Reminder, where the Last Backup and Backup Type are, there is no data / information as to when was the Last Backup and what was the Backup Type.....it is blank for both of them, even when I stretch the window.
philip01

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Actually, I wanted to have you check the permissions on 'localstore.rdf'. My mistake ... I did not make that very clear. In any event, it appears to be a moot point as you mentioned that you have been deleting the file and it obviously is getting rewritten without permission errors.

Is this only happening with FEBE? You may want to install another extension of mine (Paste Email Plus) to see it it has the same issues. I use similar coding styles in the options windows on all my extensions, so this will help rule out whether it is a FEBE or Fx problem.

For what it's worth, I am not using Classic Theme Restorer and I am able to resize the options windows just fine. You mentioned that you do have that extension installed in your primary profile which is working. So it would seem that Classic Theme Restorer is not contributing to the problem.

As for the "Last Backup and Backup Type" issue, let's work on fixing one thing at a time so I wont compound the problem :wtf:
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby philip01 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:36 pm

This morning I checked both the 'localstore.rdf' files, and as you expected, the "Everyone" permission has all of the same permissions as the folders and files I listed yesterday.
Yes, this seems to be happening only with FEBE. I have just installed your Paste Email Plus but now I need to learn how to use it.
Here is the setup of my Firefox's as of Tuesday, 6/10 and Wednesday (today) 6/11
AS OF 6/10/14
Primary Profile = FF 29.0.1 Classic Theme Installed FEBE 8.0.3 Backed up 8.0.3 on 6/10 localstore.rdf never deleted
Secondary Profile = FF 29.0.1 FEBE 8.0.2 (rolled back as per your request) never backed up localstore.rdf deleted 2 times
AS OF 6/11/14
Primary Profile = FF 29.0.1 Classic Theme FEBE 8.0.4 (multiple add-ons were updated)
Secondary Profile = FF 30.0 FEBE 8.0.4 (multiple add-ons were updated here also)
Permissions for everything were checked. Classic Theme has never been on my Secondary Profile.
Probably will update the Primary Profile tonight to FF 30.0.
I only backup with FEBE on my Primary Profile, even though it is installed on the Secondary Profile. I have been testing with it on the Secondary Profile, but both Primary and Secondary have the same "crunched" box.
Just looking at the Paste Email Plus Options > Export seems that the box goes all the way to the bottom just above the OK button.
I only deleted localstore.rdf from the Primary Profile right before I installed Classic Theme (when FF 29 was installed), and never installed Classic Theme on the Secondary Profile. FEBE is working on the Primary Profile where Classic Theme is installed (but has that incorrect sized window), but FEBE is probably working on the Secondary Profile (but has that incorrect sized window) where Classic Theme IS NOT installed.
Sorry if I confused you.
F.Y.I. I tried to install TEBE (because I use Thunderbird) but it is not compatible with v24.6. I thought I might understand that better.
philip01

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:21 pm

What happens if you install FEBE v8.0.4 in a new, otherwise empty profile? (You can create a new profile with Tools > FEBE > Restore profile > Create new profile. You don't actually have to restore anything into it.)

TEBE is compatible with Tb v24.6.0. I use it every day. You might need to disable Tb's extension compatibility check. See this blog for instructions.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby philip01 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:36 pm

I created a new profile just like you said, and when the browser came up there where 5 disabled extensions (there are normally 18 "live" extensions) and no "live" ones, but I think this is what you were expecting. The name of the "new" profile is febeprof.secondary (secondary is the name I gave it when it prompted me for a name). FEBE 8.0.3 was installed by me, and I enabled the 5 disabled extensions. The system (or Firefox) immediately updated 8.0.3 to 8.0.4, and the FEBE Window is stretched to its "normal" size. FEBE IS NOW LOOKING OKAY, but I haven't backed up with it yet as I only backup my Primary Profile with FEBE.
I now have 3 profiles for Firefox when previously had 2.
A) Should I add 1 extension at a time to rebuild this Profile ? and see if possibly one extension is not compatible with FEBE ? And the bookmarks and all other missing items ? or do you have any suggestion to find what part of the Secondary Profile was "corrupt" ? Whatever was "corrupt" in the Secondary Profile is probably the same in the Primary Profile also.
B) Should I delete what used to be my Secondary Profile and keep this "live" as I rebuild it ?
C) The Critical Question is "How to make my Primary Profile (named default) fix FEBE, as the Primary is the one I do all my "Live / Daily / Production" work on ?
D) I can rebuild this item by item (and customize it) which should take a couple of days....can I then "copy and paste" all the files from this profile to the Primary (default) ?
E) Is it okay to leave the name "febeprof.secondary" or should I rename it ?
I'll try a backup tomorrow afternoon after I build a path for it to go to and change other parameters.
Thanks alot for your help, time, and patience. Why did 2 completely separate profiles go "bad" at the same time and only affect FEBE ? That's a rhetorical question !!!
philip01

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:16 am

You said after you created the new profile, you found five disabled extensions installed? The new profile should not have contained any extensions at all (unless they were installed globally - is that the case?).

In your situation my advice would be to build up the 'secondary' profile a little at a time to ensure everything is working between restorations. I would avoid copying/pasting files between profiles. Older profiles may contain extraneous and/or bloated files. A new profile give you a nice, clean start.

You may want to consider only restoring the parts of the profile that are really vital. For instance, browser history (while handy in some cases) tends to be very large and can take hours to restore. Even preferences, cookies and permissions are not essential to the new profile as they may contain outdated information and will get updated as needed.

When you get the profiles in a state where everything is working as it should, you can use the Profile Manager to delete and rename the existing profiles to your liking.

NOTE: When deleting a profile with the Profile Manager you will get a dialog that looks like this:

Be sure to click "Don't Delete Files". The dialog information is not very clear on this, but clicking "Delete Files" will delete everything associated with Firefox, including the Fx program itself.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby philip01 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:03 pm

The 5 disabled extensions in the NEW profile were Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant, Norton Toolbar 2013.4.11.2, Norton Vulnerability Protection, PDF Architect Converter for 12.2.05-1, and Roboform Toolbar. Also all of the Plugins that were in the Old Profile also came in activated in the NEW profile.
I added most of the extensions 1 at a time to the add-ons, and restarted the browser after each one to make sure the FEBE window was okay. I also restored the Bookmarks from my Primary Profile Backup and they came in successsfully (same with usernames and passwords).
I executed the FEBE Backup and it ran okay (after requesting me to "ignore" some extensions (same extensions that the other profile has ignored).
Also, after executing the FEBE Backup, the Last Backup (date and time) and the Backup type were listed below the Backup reminder and Reminder Days, but I think both of us expected that to happen because the window size was now correct.
I will probably create the Primary Profile on Saturday. Does it matter if I use FEBE to create the new profile or Profile Manager ?
I thank you very much for your assistance, and unless some new problem pops up, I won't get back to you until early next week to let you know how the creation of the Primary Profile went.
philip01

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Does it matter if I use FEBE to create the new profile or Profile Manager ?

No. Both (to my knowledge) use the same routines and the end result is the same. Use whichever is more convenient.

I'll be gone until late Monday (camping with my grandson), but will be checking the forum when I get back.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby philip01 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Sorry to say that my post, dated 6/11, was very wrong. FEBE was a failure.
On Thursday, 6/12, was when I created the "secondary" profile, and it seemed to be okay, for some reason it did not get squashed as it previously did, and I did do a backup on it.
On Friday, 6/13, I created a "primary" profile (a completely clean/new profile) as I had done for the "secondary" profile. It seemed to be okay and I did do a backup on it.
On Saturday, 6/14, I used Firefox to catch up on all the work that fell behind during the week, so I never looked at FEBE on either the primary or secondary profiles.
On Sunday, 6/15, I didn't use my computer at all because I met with my family all day for fathers day. (Hope you had a good Fathers day camping with your grandson).
On Monday, 6/16, when I brought up Firefox with the Primary profile, FEBE was squashed and the information about the backup that was executed on 6/13 was deleted from the bottom of the "when to backup" page. I looked at the "secondary" profile and it had been damaged also.
Back on Monday, 6/16, I re-created the Primary Profile by deleting all of the files and folders inside of the profile (but leaving the complete name of the Primary Profile as it was) and then restarting the Primary Profile again. After going through all the rebuilding steps, when I installed the last add-on, then FEBE got squashed. I tried to disable the final add-on and got no where, then clicked remove, and it did remove the add-on, but I could not fix the FEBE. Next, I deleted all of the files and folders inside the "primary" profile and rebuilt the remainder of the Primary Profile EXCEPT THE ADD-ON that caused FEBE to squash. The add-on was NETCRAFT ANTI-PHISHING TOOLBAR 1.9.2 that I installed from Toolbar.Netcraft.com (I have been using this for many many years), but it never had a problem with FEBE or Firefox before.
I successfully executed the FEBE backup on Tuesday, 6/17 with the Primary Profile.
On Tuesday, 6/17, I rebuilt the Secondary Profile by deleting all of the files and folders inside the Secondary Profile and then adding all of the add-ons EXCEPT NETCRAFT ANTI-PHISHING TOOLBAR. Also restored Bookmarks and Usernames from a previous FEBE backup.
On Wednesday, 6/18, I successfully executed a FEBE backup on the Secondary Profile, and went back to using the Primary Profile.
Also on Wednesday, 6/18, I successfully rebuilt the Default Profile and backed it up before I turned off the computer.
All these years of using Netcraft Anti-Phishing Toolbar I never had any problem with FEBE or Firefox. The only thing that I can think of that could cause the problem was the Upgrade of Firefox from v29.0.1 to v30.0. It seems that Netcraft was only damaging FEBE, and no other add-ons or even Firefox itself.
I've been running cleanly for a week now, and the FEBE windows are okay.
Thanks for your help.
F.Y.I. I got TEBE to work also.
philip01

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks for the report. I have add "NETCRAFT ANTI-PHISHING TOOLBAR 1.9.2 " to the "Extensions that do not work with FEBE" thread.

(Hope you had a good Fathers day camping with your grandson)

I did ... thanks for asking :-D
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to FEBE/CLEO