Merging-setting for Favourites

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Merging-setting for Favourites

Postby europanorama » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Where is the merging-option when old favourites are recovered? I see double-entries after i had to reset FF and setting up Febe all over again. Maybe i am wrong and they will always be merged depending their organisation.
europanorama

Re: Merging-setting for Favourites

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:31 pm

'Restore bookmarks (.html)' gives you the option to merge or overwrite.

'Restore bookmarks (.json)' does not. It always clears the existing bookmarks first, then restores the backup. If your backup already contains duplicates, they will be still be there after the restore.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby europanorama » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:14 pm

That means if i am unsure that there are duplicates around i should avoid using json. Why using json at all, whats the advantage of deleting old favorites? why not only merging or overwriting(option of html-version)?
I had to use bookmark deduplicator(FF addon) which had found another 10000 duplicates...
dont use the other deduplicator tool.malwarebytes defined it as a trojan.
europanorama

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:59 pm

FEBE offers two ways to backup bookmarks because Firefox also offers two ways. Bookmarks > Show all Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Backup... creates .json backups and Bookmarks > Show all Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Export Bookmarks to HTML... creates HTML backups. FEBE uses the very same routines.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby europanorama » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Unanswered.
I will only save html and merge.
why json and deleting instead of overwrite(html). is it quicker?
europanorama

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:14 pm

FEBE uses already written internal bookmarking routines to backup and restore. The .html routine allows for merging, the .json one does not.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby europanorama » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:35 am

If there are no more duplicates one can use json as default.
Mergin is only an option when older backups should be taken into account. when one is copying backups from other pcs or drives. Before doing all these procedures one must use bookdmark deduplicator. bookmark duplicate cleaner does leave empy folders alone. Thats not good.
Html or json
it seems if the same bookmark is already there there is no more option to duplicate. maybe a new Firefox-feature or from one of the addons or Febe, who knows.
europanorama

Re: Merging-setting for Favourites-Still confusive

Postby europanorama » Mon May 22, 2017 12:53 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:FEBE uses already written internal bookmarking routines to backup and restore. The .html routine allows for merging, the .json one does not.

no matter which restoring i am using merging or overwrite on json or html Febe always is telling old favourite will be overwritten or lost.

i have found a way how to find duplicates when ff-addon cannot help. But did not test with multiple directories.
Since one cannot move favourites only copy(then deleting one after the other when needed) i saved the related ones in a testfile then using this program to find duplicate-links: dupremover(duplifind is shareware and limited)

there is still no tool to find multiple identical folder or favourites which are also outside a specific folder.
europanorama

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue May 23, 2017 2:37 pm

The FEBE message that your bookmarks will be lost during a merge restore is misleading. Merging just adds to the bookmarks, not deleting them. Overwrite does delete the current bookmarks before restoring, though.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to FEBE/CLEO