[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
Chuck Baker's Firefox Extension Forum • View topic - FEBE 8.2 color scheme poll

FEBE 8.2 color scheme poll

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

What are your feelings about the new color scheme introduced in FEBE v8.2?

You may select 1 option

View results

FEBE 8.2 color scheme poll

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:50 pm

By now, many of you may have noticed that the latest release of FEBE (v8.2) had some styling changes applied to all the chrome windows. I had decided to extend the branding of FEBE and chose to color the the various associated FEBE windows in a manner similar to how the FEBE Results Report looks. The colors in that report are predominately purple and a light beige with a black accent.

The chrome windows now use an expanded color scheme with two shades of purple and three beige hues. I also increased the font size in most of the buttons and labels.

For comparison, this is how it looked before:

In my opinion, the new style provides a higher contrast and makes the text easier to read. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is very subjective but come on ... is it really that bad?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: FEBE 8.2 color scheme poll

Postby lakrsrool » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:19 am

OK, what ever they might say about you Chuck, they can not say you haven't got a great sense of humor.... :lol:

.... and no doubt a good sport as well... :thumbup: ... We'd all be better for it if each of us could approach life in the manner that you apparently do Chuck :thumbup:

There's nothing at all wrong with trying something new.... Fact is if we always do what we've always done, we'll always get what we've always got. But I have to say in this case what we had is what we need. :wink:

Seriously Chuck, it's really big of you to actually go ahead and take the time to post the poll, we should all keep in mind that the biggest threat to democracy is the apathetic voter, so hopefully people will take the time to post thoughtful votes on the topic. :idea:

Friendly opinions on the eventual outcome anyone :?:

I was tempted to go with the third choice because it is so hilarious :lol: (oh and the first choice is really funny as well... :think: .... but also really wrong!!) :crazy: :wink: ... but in the end from a pragmatic perspective I'm instead going with the last option because it really is the most practical. :clap:

ADDENDUM: Hey Chuck, the more I occasionally return to monitor the progress of the poll (100% for last [5th] choice with 5 votes in so far) and doing so take a gander at those two color scheme comparisons you've posted brings me to the possible epiphany that perhaps the color settings on your computer are a bit off.... I wouldn't personally describe some of those brighter (darker) colors as beige but rather arguably closer to shades of orange (yes I'll go with "beige" for the lighter background but that's the extent of it), or perhaps my computer is the one that's off a bit.... Hmmmm, Let me get back to you.....

.... NOPE, I've just checked it out on another couple of computers so it comes down to either your computer or a difference of interpretation regarding what shades of biege really are I guess... :idea:

.... Just thought I'd add another 2-cents to the discussion (one sided as it is, I might add).... :P
lakrsrool

Postby JDPower » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:49 pm

I''m guessing the colour swatch used was "Shades of vomit" (and I'm not trying to be a smart arse, that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it lol). I'm not that bothered by it as it's something you rarely see, but it is a hideous colour. And worse, for a developer, looks cheap/shoddy/unpolished
Last edited by JDPower on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDPower

Postby lakrsrool » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:28 pm

lakrsrool

Postby lakrsrool » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:07 am

Oh by the way Chuck my friend, not to rub it in, but here are different color hues of (<-- click on link) on line

So then, you would agree that the color above is to be fair actually a far cry of from which is clearly far closer to the hues of your interface color scheme... You'll have to admit when comparing the two, the is a bit easier on the eyes.... :idea: ... RIGHT :?:

.... Wait.... as I was wondering about before (all in good humor, remember).... your computer color setting are (that is to say correct), right Chuck :?: ..... just checking... :mrgreen:
lakrsrool

Postby JDPower » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:28 am

JDPower

Postby lakrsrool » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:58 pm

lakrsrool

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:35 pm

OK ... . I've toned down the color scheme and made it optional. There are a few other fixes too.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby lakrsrool » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Wow, what an improvement!! Thanks Chuck. It's not only nice to have the option either way with the "classic" blue theme as default but you've immensely improved the optional "FEBE Theme" as well. As you said, it's all in the "eyes of the bolder" but I can say these "eyes" clearly conclude that your "FEBE theme" is such a vast improvement I'm even seriously considering leaving this as my option (and have at this point). Just to show how much the improvement is visually I venture to guess not only you but most if not all can readily see just looking at the comparison below that the NEW "FEBE theme" actually attains your original stated goal to match the "various associated FEBE windows in a manner similar to how the 'FEBE Results' Report looks" as you put it. Just take a gander at the current "FEBE theme" upgrade and ANYONE CAN READILY OBSERVE THAT THE FEBE APPLICATION INTERFACE WINDOWS ALL CLEARLY MATCH THE "FEBE Results" Report MUCH BETTER NOW compared to what you had before. I also venture to guess if you had used the current "FEBE Theme" you have now there would have been very few if any complaints to the extent that some users would have in many cases actually preferred the new "FEBE theme" over the prior original (old) theme. :idea:

BELOW ARE THE COMPARISONS:

FEBE Results Report:
FEBE Results Report page.jpg

NEW (current) "FEBE Theme":
FEBE THEME.jpg

FAR BETTER MATCH ABOVE IF THE GOAL IS TO INCORPORATE THE SAME COLOR SCHEME OF THE FEBE INTERFACE WITH THE "RESULTS REPORT" PAGE THEME!!! :thumbup: :clap: (Question: Would it be difficult to match the menu (selection) tab box at the top of the interface (which is currently blue) to the current imbedded FRAME group TAB COLORS what I would call you are using :?: (closest to the bottom right color box in link) ... Not to be picky, but point being: the blue menu "focus" color breaks from the theme as you can see :idea: )

Now see how MUCH of an improvement there is in the current "FEBE Theme" (above) over the former "FEBE Theme" (below).

BELOW IS THE FORMER "FEBE Theme" which is undeniably a far cry from matching the "Results Report" page theme above, so Chuck via user input and your openness to suggestions and willingness to change you have vastly improved the optional "FEBE Theme" to such and extent that the NEW "FEBE Theme" is arguably as good an option as the default now. :thumbup: :clap: (I can't see how anyone can have any complaints now but there will always be some who prefer the "classic" default (blue) theme colors scheme) GREAT WORK!!!! :mrgreen:

FORMER "FEBE Theme":
FORMER NEW FEBE theme.jpg
To put it simply this "mustard color" theme above ( to put it nicely) did not coordinate color wise that much at all with the "Results Report" as contrasted to the new "FEBE Theme" which clearly does. (No I'm not an art major, far from it as a long ago retired programmer that enjoyed writing application interfaces including theme color schemes.)
lakrsrool

Postby anon42 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
anon42

Postby lakrsrool » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:47 am

Attachments
FEBE classic (not cutoff).jpg
FEBE theme (right side truncated).jpg
FEBE classic (when to backup).jpg
lakrsrool

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:33 am

The FEBE options window is resizable by dragging and dropping any side or corner. The new size will be remembered the next time the window is opened. The only time it is not resizable is if it is opened via the Tools > Add-ons page. (This is not a bug in FEBE, but in . None of the options windows open that way are resizable.)
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby lakrsrool » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:21 am

Last edited by lakrsrool on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakrsrool

Next

Return to FEBE/CLEO