FEBE 8.2 color scheme poll

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

What are your feelings about the new color scheme introduced in FEBE v8.2?

You may select 1 option

View results

FEBE 8.2 color scheme poll

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:50 pm

By now, many of you may have noticed that the latest release of FEBE (v8.2) had some styling changes applied to all the chrome windows. I had decided to extend the branding of FEBE and chose to color the the various associated FEBE windows in a manner similar to how the FEBE Results Report looks. The colors in that report are predominately purple and a light beige with a black accent.

The chrome windows now use an expanded color scheme with two shades of purple and three beige hues. I also increased the font size in most of the buttons and labels.

For comparison, this is how it looked before:

In my opinion, the new style provides a higher contrast and makes the text easier to read. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is very subjective but come on ... is it really that bad?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: FEBE 8.2 color scheme poll

Postby lakrsrool » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:19 am

OK, what ever they might say about you Chuck, they can not say you haven't got a great sense of humor.... :lol:

.... and no doubt a good sport as well... :thumbup: ... We'd all be better for it if each of us could approach life in the manner that you apparently do Chuck :thumbup:

There's nothing at all wrong with trying something new.... Fact is if we always do what we've always done, we'll always get what we've always got. But I have to say in this case what we had is what we need. :wink:

Seriously Chuck, it's really big of you to actually go ahead and take the time to post the poll, we should all keep in mind that the biggest threat to democracy is the apathetic voter, so hopefully people will take the time to post thoughtful votes on the topic. :idea:

Friendly opinions on the eventual outcome anyone :?:

I was tempted to go with the third choice because it is so hilarious :lol: (oh and the first choice is really funny as well... :think: .... but also really wrong!!) :crazy: :wink: ... but in the end from a pragmatic perspective I'm instead going with the last option because it really is the most practical. :clap:

ADDENDUM: Hey Chuck, the more I occasionally return to monitor the progress of the poll (100% for last [5th] choice with 5 votes in so far) and doing so take a gander at those two color scheme comparisons you've posted brings me to the possible epiphany that perhaps the color settings on your computer are a bit off.... I wouldn't personally describe some of those brighter (darker) colors as beige but rather arguably closer to shades of orange (yes I'll go with "beige" for the lighter background but that's the extent of it), or perhaps my computer is the one that's off a bit.... Hmmmm, Let me get back to you.....

.... NOPE, I've just checked it out on another couple of computers so it comes down to either your computer or a difference of interpretation regarding what shades of biege really are I guess... :idea:

.... Just thought I'd add another 2-cents to the discussion (one sided as it is, I might add).... :P
lakrsrool

Postby JDPower » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:49 pm

I''m guessing the colour swatch used was "Shades of vomit" (and I'm not trying to be a smart arse, that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it lol). I'm not that bothered by it as it's something you rarely see, but it is a hideous colour. And worse, for a developer, looks cheap/shoddy/unpolished
Last edited by JDPower on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDPower

Postby lakrsrool » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:28 pm

JDPower wrote:I''m guessing the colour swatch used was "Shades of vomit" (and I'm not trying to be a smart arse, that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it). I'm not that bothered by it as it's something you rarely see, but it is a hideous colour. And worse, for a developer, looks cheap/shoddy/unpolished

^ Come on now, don't hold back, tell us what you really think :lol: .... I will say, as you have, that it IS a color that you rarely see (I wonder why, could it be for good reason?).... but I have to say it really does seem to me that you actually ARE "bothered by it" rare or not.... maybe just a tad? :wink: ... let me guess, :think: ... your vote was choice #3, RIGHT :?: .... :think: .... I rest my case.... :!:

.... Oh and don't deny it, because up until your very eloquent contribution to the thread there were no votes for choice #3.... pretty good detective work huh? :thumbup:

I had called the color "shades of orange" in my previous post, actually "BURNT ORANGE" is how the color is best described (click on link for proof)....

.... funny thing is I kind of like the more brown hues of this color FOR A SHIRT that is, but then a "shirt" is far cry from that of an application interface.... :roll:

.... Me thinks I'll grab me a "burnt orange" shirt this shopping season, kind of sounds sort of "swank", me and my "burnt orange" shirt 8) (can't be all that bad)

I'm having fun with the emoticons because it's best keeping the conversation friendly and on a light note.... :angel: ... and make no mistake we are ALL big time fans of Chuck no matter what!!!! :thumbup:
lakrsrool

Postby lakrsrool » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:07 am

Oh by the way Chuck my friend, not to rub it in, but here are different color hues of BEIGE (<-- click on link) on line

So then, you would agree that the color above is to be fair actually a far cry of from "BURNT ORANGE" which is clearly far closer to the hues of your interface color scheme... You'll have to admit when comparing the two, the BEIGE is a bit easier on the eyes.... :idea: ... RIGHT :?:

.... Wait.... as I was wondering about before (all in good humor, remember).... your computer color setting are copasetic (that is to say correct), right Chuck :?: ..... just checking... :mrgreen:
lakrsrool

Postby JDPower » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:28 am

lakrsrool wrote:^ Come on now, don't hold back, tell us what you really think :lol: .... I will say, as you have, that it IS a color that you rarely see (I wonder why, could it be for good reason?).... but I have to say it really does seem to me that you actually ARE "bothered by it" rare or not.... maybe just a tad? :wink: ... let me guess, :think: ... your vote was choice #3, RIGHT :?: .... :think: .... I rest my case.... :!:

.... Oh and don't deny it, because up until your very eloquent contribution to the thread there were no votes for choice #3.... pretty good detective work huh? :thumbup:

Why would I deny it :?: I think it's ugly as sin, and was stunned/nauseated lol, when I first saw it. But only see it for maybe a few seconds every month or two at most, so I'm not "bothered", just sharing the opinion that I think it's ugly and dated looking.

I actually only registered here to add to a bug that had been reported, but Chuck had isolated it before my account was activated and could post, so I have the utmost respect for Chuck and a rarely seen colour scheme is hardly a major issue, but opinions were requested so I shared mine and I think it really is "that bad" (if relatively unimportant). Having pondered I think, shade of yellow apart, part of the reason it sticks out like a sore thumb is cos it doesn't follow system or browser default colours (which addons should IMO)
JDPower

Postby lakrsrool » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:58 pm

JDPower wrote:
lakrsrool wrote:^ Come on now, don't hold back, tell us what you really think :lol: .... I will say, as you have, that it IS a color that you rarely see (I wonder why, could it be for good reason?).... but I have to say it really does seem to me that you actually ARE "bothered by it" rare or not.... maybe just a tad? :wink: ... let me guess, :think: ... your vote was choice #3, RIGHT :?: .... :think: .... I rest my case.... :!:

Why would I deny it :?: I think it's ugly as sin, and was stunned/nauseated lol, when I first saw it. But only see it for maybe a few seconds every month or two at most, so I'm not "bothered", just sharing the opinion that I think it's ugly and dated looking.

I actually only registered here to add to a bug that had been reported, but Chuck had isolated it before my account was activated and could post, so I have the utmost respect for Chuck and a rarely seen colour scheme is hardly a major issue, but opinions were requested so I shared mine and I think it really is "that bad" (if relatively unimportant). Having pondered I think, shade of yellow apart, part of the reason it sticks out like a sore thumb is cos it doesn't follow system or browser default colours (which addons should IMO)

You're of course correct in every regard, I was just posting humor more than anything (which is frankly not an easy task on a board for obvious reasons, emoticons help but even they cannot match the advantage of a personal face-to-face conversation. Hence just teasing about your forthright comments is all.). :wink: Agreed, color scheme is a minor point in the scheme of things as far as the efficacy and utility of an add-on is concerned which is what really counts as you've succinctly pointed out and yes it does make sense for an add-on to generally blend in with common (classic) browser or app color schemes as well, also an excellent point. :thumbup: Lastly, there is no question that we can all agree how much we all have the "utmost respect" for Chuck as well. Just to even post this poll is exemplary in itself and make no mistake deprecating humor is a blessing many fall short of which is clearly not the case thankfully with Chuck. (are you getting the big-head yet Chuck? .... btw more humor again)

In the end, not all of us can be that artistically inclined after-all, again - back to my humor, :lol: ... seriously - what really counts and is absolutely vital is Chuck's technical savvy obviously, color schemes are nothing more than "icing on the cake", especially in the event the interface is generally rarely scene anyway as in the case here. It's just too bad that the "icing on the cake" doesn't conform to the more customary color schemes we usually see and avoid "knocking our socks off" the occasional time we might see the interface (again more humor). Food for thought: No doubt about it, the color scheme does serve to wake a person up, so I guess we can say there is at least one redeeming quality in the new color scheme :-D (more humor folks).

Hmmm, It occurs to me that I must have way to much free-time, I guess that's what happens when retired....
lakrsrool

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:35 pm

OK ... FEBE 8.3beta is available. I've toned down the color scheme and made it optional. There are a few other fixes too.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby lakrsrool » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Wow, what an improvement!! Thanks Chuck. It's not only nice to have the option either way with the "classic" blue theme as default but you've immensely improved the optional "FEBE Theme" as well. As you said, it's all in the "eyes of the bolder" but I can say these "eyes" clearly conclude that your "FEBE theme" is such a vast improvement I'm even seriously considering leaving this as my option (and have at this point). Just to show how much the improvement is visually I venture to guess not only you but most if not all can readily see just looking at the comparison below that the NEW "FEBE theme" actually attains your original stated goal to match the "various associated FEBE windows in a manner similar to how the 'FEBE Results' Report looks" as you put it. Just take a gander at the current "FEBE theme" upgrade and ANYONE CAN READILY OBSERVE THAT THE FEBE APPLICATION INTERFACE WINDOWS ALL CLEARLY MATCH THE "FEBE Results" Report MUCH BETTER NOW compared to what you had before. I also venture to guess if you had used the current "FEBE Theme" you have now there would have been very few if any complaints to the extent that some users would have in many cases actually preferred the new "FEBE theme" over the prior original (old) theme. :idea:

BELOW ARE THE COMPARISONS:

FEBE Results Report:
FEBE Results Report page.jpg

NEW (current) "FEBE Theme":
FEBE THEME.jpg

FAR BETTER MATCH ABOVE IF THE GOAL IS TO INCORPORATE THE SAME COLOR SCHEME OF THE FEBE INTERFACE WITH THE "RESULTS REPORT" PAGE THEME!!! :thumbup: :clap: (Question: Would it be difficult to match the menu (selection) tab box at the top of the interface (which is currently blue) to the current imbedded FRAME group TAB COLORS what I would call ECRU COLOR you are using :?: (closest to the bottom right color box in link) ... Not to be picky, but point being: the blue menu "focus" color breaks from the theme as you can see :idea: )

Now see how MUCH of an improvement there is in the current "FEBE Theme" (above) over the former "FEBE Theme" (below).

BELOW IS THE FORMER "FEBE Theme" which is undeniably a far cry from matching the "Results Report" page theme above, so Chuck via user input and your openness to suggestions and willingness to change you have vastly improved the optional "FEBE Theme" to such and extent that the NEW "FEBE Theme" is arguably as good an option as the default now. :thumbup: :clap: (I can't see how anyone can have any complaints now but there will always be some who prefer the "classic" default (blue) theme colors scheme) GREAT WORK!!!! :mrgreen:

FORMER "FEBE Theme":
FORMER NEW FEBE theme.jpg
To put it simply this "mustard color" theme above ("burnt orange" to put it nicely) did not coordinate color wise that much at all with the "Results Report" as contrasted to the new ecru color "FEBE Theme" which clearly does. (No I'm not an art major, far from it as a long ago retired programmer that enjoyed writing application interfaces including theme color schemes.)
lakrsrool

Postby anon42 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks for allowing for the older scheme. Now my only complaint with either scheme is the "ghost" close button.

Edit: One of the items mentioned for this latest beta:
FEBE now checks for the existence of 'cache2' when determining 'Ignore cache' setting.

Where is the "ignore cache" setting? I can't seem to find it in the FEBE preferences/options.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:22 pm

@lakrsrool : Actually I always use the so-called Netscape Colors when styling an extension or webpage. It's a 216 color palette that's been around since the 8-bit monitor days.

I'm liking the newer color scheme better than the first one - a more gentle contrast and larger text. It was a fun diversion, but time to move on.

@anon42 : I'll look into the 'ghost' OK button. Did you mention that it only started appearing in the FEBE v8.2 release? I'm going to have to dust off my old OS X laptop to see if it's happening to me also.

Where is the "ignore cache" setting? I can't seem to find it in the FEBE preferences/options.

See FEBE options > How to backup > Ignore cache and phishing DB (last item on that screen).
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:07 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:@anon42 : I'll look into the 'ghost' OK button. Did you mention that it only started appearing in the FEBE v8.2 release? I'm going to have to dust off my old OS X laptop to see if it's happening to me also.

I don't recal if I mentioned it but it does not appear in FEBE's up to 8.0.5 and only started appearing in 8.2.

See FEBE options > How to backup > Ignore cache and phishing DB (last item on that screen).

ah ha, I see it now :crazy: Sneaky little guy was grayed out at the bottom of the list so I didn't notice it. According to its help info I see it's grayed out because, on a Mac, user caches are normally in ~/Library/Caches and specifically for Firefox in ~/Library/Caches/Firefox/Profiles and not in the actual FF profile.

I'm curious. Can you describe the "phishing DB". I am not familiar with that. What's its (profile?) name? And since it is not a cache, if it exists in an actual profile, should it be grouped with that "Ignore chache..." if it is in the profile even though the FF cache is not? Also, while I can see someone not desiring to backup a cache, wouldn't you always want to backup that "phishing DB" if it's part of a profile? Maybe that last question is non-nonsensical if I understood what that data base file(s) is for.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
anon42

Postby lakrsrool » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:47 am

cbaker_admin wrote:.... It was a fun diversion, but time to move on.

Can't move on just yet Chuck, I just noticed that all of the windows except one have parts of the right side of the pages cutoff for the NEW "FEBE theme" and even on one page on the old theme as well. (the only one that doesn't truncate some of the screen frames or objects is the "Where to backup" which is GOOD for BOTH color themes).

Pretty much all the other pages in the new "FEBE theme" have the right side of the pages cutoff (due most likely to the enlarged font size causing the objects to move off the right side of the page).

Interestingly there is one page where both themes (Old "Classic" theme AND the new "FEBE theme") which is the "When to backup" page, of course the new theme truncates more of the screen but oddly even the old "classic" theme is cutoff some as well.

I first noticed the problem on the first page "Backup Type" where the parts truncated are only the frame outlines but that made me wonder about the other pages and then actually found objects missing off the right side of the page on most of the other new theme pages and even the one ("When to backup") old theme has a couple of text boxes truncated toward the right side of screen.

Example "When to backup" where both the OLD "Classic" theme (see below) and the NEW "FEBE Theme" have part of screen missing on right side:
FEBE classic (when to backup).jpg

Since this OLD CLASSIC page has a small part of page truncated it will probably be the first thing you'll want to address since the OLD "Classic" them is the DEFAULT theme (most people will see).

Example of more obvious page below (Oh, on a side note I had previously asked how difficult it would be to coordinate the "blue menu boxes" (at the top of the window) and change the "blue" (when tab has got focus) to a color the same as the buttons and tabs that have focus for example since the "blue" color breaks from the FEBE theme as you can see in the image below):
FEBE theme (right side truncated).jpg

What it should look like:
FEBE classic (not cutoff).jpg

What led me to this is the first page "What to backup" which is not so obvious (just part of frame lines truncated) but when you go to the OTHER TABS ON THE PAGE then it becomes more obvious where objects are cutoff on the right side.

It is fortunate (since the default is "classic" so most users will be seeing this theme) that I've noticed this since the "When to backup" page is even truncated on the original "default" theme.
lakrsrool

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:33 am

The FEBE options window is resizable by dragging and dropping any side or corner. The new size will be remembered the next time the window is opened. The only time it is not resizable is if it is opened via the Tools > Add-ons page. (This is not a bug in FEBE, but in Firefox. None of the options windows open that way are resizable.)
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby lakrsrool » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:21 am

cbaker_admin wrote:The FEBE options window is resizable by dragging and dropping any side or corner. The new size will be remembered the next time the window is opened. The only time it is not resizable is if it is opened via the Tools > Add-ons page. (This is not a bug in FEBE, but in Firefox. None of the options windows open that way are resizable.)

I found that opening FEBE via either method using "Tools" > "Add-ons" or the FEBE icon works the same way. Horizontal works (sizing is retained), vertical sizing does NOT work however (sizing is not retained). It seems odd that horizontal sizing holds but vertical does not, nevertheless, it also occurred to me that this issue could be resolved programmatically since all FEBE windows have a lot of empty space vertically down to where the location of the "OK" button but GOOD NEWS, that's STILL "OK" (pardon the pun) because it all works "OK" when doing the following:

All that needs to be done is to size the largest window needed to provide enough size to show everything and then HOLD DOWN THE "CTRL" and EXIT THE APPLICATION. :thumbup:

Doing this and everything works great all FEBE window sizes are retained at the size when the applications is exited using either the Firefox menu or the FEBE icon to start FEBE. :clap:

I should have tried resizing in the first place. :think: :idea:

Btw, you might want to consider adding this method to resize FEBE windows to the FEBE FAQ page. :idea:

IMPORTANT: SEE POST ON NEXT PAGE!!
Last edited by lakrsrool on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakrsrool

Next

Return to FEBE/CLEO