[Solved w/ 8.7debug]FEBE NOT skipping the cache (FF 38.0.1)

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

[Solved w/ 8.7debug]FEBE NOT skipping the cache (FF 38.0.1)

Postby sdrubble » Fri May 15, 2015 8:54 am

Hi,

I just did a major FF upgrade (or 'sort of', read below) - from FF 31 (w/ FEBE 8.3) to FF 38 (w/ FEBE 8.6).

An issue which I didn't previously have just appeared: when doing a full profile backup, FEBE includes the cache folder (\cache2) and its contents in the .FBU file.

I performed a reset of all FEBE's settings as recommended for this type of upgrade, to no avail.

Under "How to backup" in FEBE's preferences window, the option "Ignore caching and phishing DB" is grayed out, but the corresponding checkbox appears already checked.

I have a very non-standard FF setup which may or may not be relevant to the issue, but here are its main points just in case:

- multiple FF installs which co-exist for different versions, each on [ProgramFiles(x86)]\Firefox_nn
- multiple copies of firefox.exe with different names, within each of the FF install folders
- multiple FF profile folders for any one of a given FF version
- one set of 2 or 3 FF profile folders for each of the installed FF versions

all of the above has the purpose of allowing me to run 2 or more FF versions at the same time, or 2 different profiles of the same FF version, randomly, simultaneously and independently ... why ? I cooked up this setup after getting burned multiple times by my Internet Banking ill-documented and badly-supported collection of extensions & plugins stopping working after every FF upgrade.

An additional detail, which again may or may not be relevant to the issue, is the fact that I run each of these profiles within a virtual drive letter (generated with 'subst' Windows command). I do this since FF v02 and honestly I don't remember exactly 'why', but it's probably got something to do with enabling profile portability among different computers at some pre-historic FF version.

All of this black magic is accomplished with 2 or 3 primitive .BAT files which get cloned and adapted along with each of FF 'pseudo-upgrade', so to speak.

I have also cooked up - and tested - a workaround for the unwanted cache inclusion: I've opened the resulting .FBU file with 7-zip and simply DELETED the \cache2 folder. I then proceeded to successfully clone my most recent FF 38.0.1 profile, by extracting this lipoaspirated backup into a brand-new empty profile folder, and it seemed to be working correctly.

While I can live with my current workaround - albeit the annoyance of having to WAIT while my 600Mb cache is backed up - I'd be happy to provide any additional input towards a possible solution to this issue.

Cheers
Last edited by sdrubble on Sat May 16, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdrubble

Re: FEBE 8.6 is NOT skipping the cache (FF 38.0.1 on Win 7)

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri May 15, 2015 12:52 pm

It seems FEBE was checking for the existence of "Cache" and "cache2" correctly, but failing to ignore "cache2" during the full profile backup. Please try the attached version and let me know.

FEBE8.7debug.xpi
Testing fix for cache
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 357 times
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: FEBE 8.6 is NOT skipping the cache (FF 38.0.1 on Win 7)

Postby sdrubble » Sat May 16, 2015 6:56 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:It seems FEBE was checking for the existence of "Cache" and "cache2" correctly, but failing to ignore "cache2" during the full profile backup. Please try the attached version and let me know.

FEBE8.7debug.xpi

Hi Chuck - I've just tested '8.7debug': the undesired cache inclusion issue was solved - :thumbup: , plus I've noticed 3 more improvements :-D :

. . . - both the full profile backup and the itemized backup ran noticeably faster (as compared to 8.3 under FF 31) ;
. . . - the missing profile name suffix on some 8.6 backup items was fixed ;
. . . - the pseudo-xpis added forcibly by some Windows apps - which used to just be silently skipped up to 8.6 - are now processing like this, for each of them:
. . . . . . . warning pop-up during backup, allowing immediate optional inclusion in ignore list ;
. . . . . . . inclusion of a 22-byte placeholder .xpi file in the itemized backup .
. . . . . . in my case, FEBE flagged stuff from Avast, ZoneAlarm and 2 Internet Banking appendages (IIRC, some 'Browser Defense' stuff).

I haven't tested a restore with the 8.7 backups - they look & feel sufficiently similar to those from previous versions (including the 8.6 lipoaspirated one), so I'm just assuming they're good to go :angel: .

If possible, would you pls clarify : since I'll keep the '8.7debug' version, will FF automagically pick up the next regular version available (i.e., 8.7 or 8.-8), or should I be on the lookout and manually replace it ?

Many thanx for the awesome work done on FEBE. Really deserving of a monetary donation, which unfortunately I can't afford at the moment :think: ... but at least I'm happy to have had the chance of successfully testing your new debug version. :mrgreen:

Cheers
sdrubble

Re: [Solved w/ 8.7debug]FEBE NOT skipping the cache (FF 38.0

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun May 17, 2015 11:52 am

If possible, would you pls clarify : since I'll keep the '8.7debug' version, will FF automatically pick up the next regular version available (i.e., 8.7 or 8.-8), or should I be on the lookout and manually replace it ?

The next stable release submitted to AMO (and eligible for auto-updates) will be v8.7. Since '8.7debug' is lexicographically after '8.7' , Fx will not auto-update FEBE itself. I'll be submitting v8.7 to AMO in a day or two and it should be approved within a week or ten days after that. So you might want to keep an eye on the AMO page or the FEBE homepage for the update.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to FEBE/CLEO