Page 1 of 1

File lock errors in Fx v42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:49 pm
by cbaker_admin
Starting with Firefox v42, some users are experiencing locking errors while attempting a backup. I have not yet determined the cause of the errors, but have come up with a fix. The locking errors are usually generated in one of these three files:

  • Cookies (cookies.sqlite)
  • Form Fill history (formhistory.sqlite)
  • Permissions (permissions.sqlite)

The fix involves exporting the records contained in the files, deleting the files, and importing the records back into new files. To accomplish this, you will need a way to manipulate sqlite files. I recommend using the Sqlite Manager extension.

In this example, I'm going to assume the permissions file is the one that needs to be fixed. The steps are similar for cookies and form fill history.

  1. Open Sqlite Manager and select permission.sqlite located in your profile folder.

    Image
  2. Select Database > Export database and navigate to some directory you want to save to. Enter a name for the exported file (i.e., 'permissions') and click 'Save'.

    Image
  3. Close Firefox and open your profile folder.
  4. Delete the file 'permissions.sqlite' (you may want to save the file somewhere before you delete it, if you are overly cautious like me)
  5. Start Firefox. A new, empty permissions.sqlite file will automatically be created. (NOTE: Some users have reported that the formhistory.sqlite file is not automatically created. If this happens, performing a simple Google search for anything will force Fx to re-create the file. Do this before starting the next step.)
  6. Open Sqlite Manager and select permission.sqlite again.
  7. Select Database > Import. Click the 'SQL' tab if it is not already selected. Click 'Select File' and navigate to your saved 'permissions.sql' file. Click 'OK'.

    Image

Once the import is complete, you should be able to backup without the errors.

Re: File lock errors in Fx v42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:05 pm
by winemaker9
:thumbup: Thanks Chuck, worked as advertised. Only thing was I tried with the formhistory.sqlite, and when I'd moved the file out into another folder and restarted, it did not recreate, but gave me an error. I then restored the original file and did the permissions.sqlite. This did work correctly and restore itself. After importing, normal FEBE function resumed.
This was on Win7Pro, I'll try doing the same fix on LinuxMint tomorrow.

:crazy: Fri....LinuxMint 17.2 MATE fix worked as well, same thing, just the permissions. Thanks again. :clap:

Re: File lock errors in Fx v42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:34 am
by LostinCM
FF 43.0.4 Had problems saving permissions and form_fill. I corrected the permissions problem as above. Tested FEBE backup and both permissions and form_fill backed up Ok. Maybe there is a connection between the two. Anyway, did not have to do the process on form_fill.

Re: File lock errors in Fx v42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:40 pm
by cbaker_admin
Yep ... Mozilla slips these little gems into new releases with little or no fanfare. I usually have to wait until the release goes public to see if FEBE is affected.