Cannot restore extensions with Fx v42?

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Cannot restore extensions with Fx v42?

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:07 pm

It would appear that Fx 42 has broken the ability for FEBE to restore extensions. I am working on a fix. In the meantime, you can still restore extensions by using Tools > Add-ons > (gear icon) > Install Add-on From File...

For the time being, themes can still be restored with FEBE > Restore > Restore Themes., but this may break also.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot restore extensions with Fx v42?

Postby plox » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi Chuck

Don't know if this is related but I am also having trouble getting FEBE to work with Tor Browser and the Tails CD. I am using FEBE 8.8.1.

I got in touch with them (the Tails people) and they said to ask you about it. I seems that recent changes made to Tor Browser could be the problem but they would not elaborate.

For windows (XP Pro Sp3) I am using Tor Browser version 5.0.6 (based on Mozilla Firefox 38.5.0). It just hangs forever when trying to do a backup and I cancel the operation.

For Tails I am about to download the new version 1.8.1 and will burn it to a DVD and see if has made any difference, if not I will let you know.
plox

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:06 pm

What specific problems are you encountering? Are you getting any FEBE related messages in the error console (CTRL-SHIFT-J, type febe in the 'Filter output' field in the upper right of the console window, copy/paste in your response)?

I don't have a Tail CD, nor the Tor Browser installed, so I cannot test it myself.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby plox » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:24 pm

Sorry about the delay. The main problem (XP) is that Febe will not perform a backup - it just stalls. Here is the error log:

getFirstPartyURI failed for chrome://febe/content/settings/febeOptions.xul: 0x80070057

1451103105600 addons.manager WARN Exception calling callback: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.permissions]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febe.js :: FEBE.febePreLoad/</< :: line 335" data: no] Stack trace: FEBE.febePreLoad/</<()@febe.js:335 < forEach()@self-hosted:206 < FEBE.febePreLoad/<()@febe.js:322 < safeCall()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:173 < getAddonsByTypes_noMoreObjects()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:2369 < AOC_callNext()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:336 < getAddonsByTypes_concatAddons()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:2364 < SocialAddonProvider.getAddonsByTypes()@resource://gre/modules/SocialService.jsm:1020 < callProviderAsync()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:235 < getAddonsByTypes_nextObject()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:2359 < AOC_callNext()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:342 < getAddonsByTypes_concatAddons()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:2364 < PL_getAddonsByTypes()@resource://gre/modules/addons/PluginProvider.jsm:162 < callProviderAsync()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:235 < getAddonsByTypes_nextObject()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:2359 < AOC_callNext()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:342 < getAddonsByTypes_concatAddons()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:2364 < GMPProvider.getAddonsByTypes()@resource://gre/modules/addons/GMPProvider.jsm:548 < callProviderAsync()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:235 < getAddonsByTypes_nextObject()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:2359 < AOC_callNext()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:342 < getAddonsByTypes_concatAddons()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:2364 < LightweightThemeManager_getAddonsByTypes()@resource://gre/modules/LightweightThemeManager.jsm:389 < callProviderAsync()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:235 < getAddonsByTypes_nextObject()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:2359 < AOC_callNext()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:342 < getAddonsByTypes_concatAddons()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:2364 < getAddonsByTypes_getVisibleAddons()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:3840 < makeSafe/<()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProviderUtils.js:145 < asyncMap_gotValue()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProviderUtils.js:180 < asyncMap_callback()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProviderUtils.js:187 < completeAddon()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProviderUtils.js:134 < this.AddonRepository.getCachedAddonByID<()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonRepository.jsm:575 < next()@self-hosted:620 < TaskImpl_run()@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:314 < TaskImpl()@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:275 < createAsyncFunction/asyncFunction()@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:249 < getRepositoryAddon()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProviderUtils.js:136 < asyncMap_each()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProviderUtils.js:186 < map()@self-hosted:222 < asyncMap()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProviderUtils.js:184 < this.XPIDatabase.getAddonList/<()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProviderUtils.js:1054 < Handler.prototype.process()@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:867 < this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop()@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:746 < this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<()@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:688 < <file:unknown>

getFirstPartyURI failed for chrome://febe/content/settings/febeOptions.xul: 0x80070057
getFirstPartyURI failed for chrome://febe/content/febeProgress.xul: 0x80070057
FEBE: Backup aborted!
getFirstPartyURI failed for chrome://febe/content/febeAlert.xul: 0x80070057

----

On Tails 1.7 it gave this message (not tried 1.8.1 yet):

"An error occured reading the permissions table. no such table:
moz_host."
plox

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:26 pm

What type of backup are you trying to perform (Full profile, selective, both)? It appears that FEBE is failing while trying to "phone home" to Mozilla when getting your installed add-ons information. Try running FEBE Options > Advanced > Attempt to load and save extension data to see if it can complete without errors.

There is also a reference to 'getFirstPartyURI' failing. This is a Tor specific error. You say your Tor browser is based on Fx 38.5.0. Try installing FEBE v8.6 or v8.7 and see if it makes a difference.

It also seems FEBE is balking at attempting to backup your permissions data. Try unselecting FEBE Options > What to backup > Backup permissions.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby plox » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am trying Febe with the Tails 1.8.1 DVD, Tor Browser 5.0.6 (based on Mozilla Firefox 38.5.0). Will try your suggestions on XP later and let you know.

cbaker_admin wrote:What type of backup are you trying to perform (Full profile, selective, both)?

Both

cbaker_admin wrote: It appears that FEBE is failing while trying to "phone home" to Mozilla when getting your installed add-ons information. Try running FEBE Options > Advanced > Attempt to load and save extension data to see if it can complete without errors.

There is also a reference to 'getFirstPartyURI' failing. This is a Tor specific error. You say your Tor browser is based on Fx 38.5.0. Try installing FEBE v8.6 or v8.7 and see if it makes a difference.

Done as you suggested - > FEBE v8.6, Attempt to load and save extension data - "extention data loaded and save successfully".

Any idea on a Debian Linux system where that data would be saved to see if it has worked?

cbaker_admin wrote:It also seems FEBE is balking at attempting to backup your permissions data. Try unselecting FEBE Options > What to backup > Backup permissions.

Deselected Backup permissions.

When I open the Preferences Window, I get this message:
FEBE Message...
Query cancelled or aborted!

Same message comes up when I click Perform backup now.

Also which could have been caused by these previously reported errors:
"WARNING! page contains unsafe input forms; host=softwarebychuck.com" index.js:261
"WARNING! page contains unsafe input forms; host=www.customsoftwareconsult.com" index.js:261

And showing this in the Browser Console:
getFirstPartyURI failed for chrome://febe/content/febeSetFolderPermissions.xul: 0x80070057

Went to Advanced > Set read/write permissions in backup folder and these are the changes made but not sure if they will stay applied as Tails uses fairly strict confinement policy settings through AppArmor (https://tails.boum.org/contribute/desig ... isolation/):

FEBE 2015 27.12 00.23.34 : d-rwx------

FEBE 2015 27.12 00.23.34 : changed -rwx------ to -rwxrwxrwx

It looks like they have locked FEBE out and prevented it from operating successfully.
plox

Postby plox » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:44 pm

plox wrote:Thanks for your prompt reply.

Any idea on a Debian Linux system where that data would be saved to see if it has worked?

Found it - with Tails you cannot save to any another location than Home > Tor Browser.

Febe created directories(FEBE 2015 27.12 00.23.34 & FEBE 2015 27.12 00.41.53 - tried it twice) according to the set back up directory settings ( /home/amnesia/Tor Browser/febe) but they are both empty,

So that does not work either.
plox

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:39 pm

Interesting. If files can only be written to Home > Tor Browser perhaps you can create a new Fx profile in that location.

Start Fx from the command line with [path_to_Firefox_executable]/firefox.exe -p. This will open the profile manager dialog. Follow the prompts and create a new profile in some sub-directory of Tor Browser.

Install FEBE into the new profile and set the backup destination directory in some other sub-directory of Tor Browser.

If the FEBE Options > Advanced > Attempt to load and save extension data is successfull, the data should be in a file named 'febeExtensionData.json' in your new profile folder.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to FEBE/CLEO