Best versions for Pale Moon: FEBE, CLEO, OPIE

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Best versions for Pale Moon: FEBE, CLEO, OPIE

Postby VLM » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi Chuck,

Per conversations we shared nearly a year ago, I have the following installed in Pale Moon:

- CLEO 6.0.1, not updating automatically
- FEBE 8.3.1, not updating automatically
- OPIE 5.0.2.1, updating automatically (I don't remember why)

Have you been using/testing more recent versions with Pale Moon? A year ago (give or take), you suggested moving to PM to sidestep the then-upcoming Firefox extensions debacle. I did as you suggested, and in general I've been happy with that decision. But it occurs to me to ask about updating the extensions. Appreciate your input, when you have a moment.

Kind regards,
VLM

Re: Best versions for Pale Moon: FEBE, CLEO, OPIE

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:04 pm

There have not been any updates that would affect PM users. All of the updates done (of the extensions you listed) are only to keep them limping along with Fx. I have no plans (or desires) to make any major updates to any of my extensions solely for Fx prior to Mozilla dropping support for XPCOM and XUL.

Most of my extensions are simply not capable of being re-written in the WebExtensions platform Mozilla is switching to. The one or two that can have already been ported to Chrome (but unfortunately have lost some of their utility due to the WebExtensions limitations).
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:10 am

Thank you, Chuck. At this point, are you planning to add any of the extensions to the Pale Moon repository? As I understand it, the road map there will accommodate them, albeit with a few tweaks for PM 27, upcoming.

I really hope you will consider staying the course with these extensions, or at least with those most used (probably FEBE?). That's the one on which I rely the most, by far. Of course, I'm only one user. :)

Regardless, thanks for all your amazing work through the years. You have made the Firefox experience much more reasonable and, honestly, enjoyable, especially during those times when "big things" need to get done.

Kind regards,
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:05 pm

Yes, it is my intention to move all my extensions to the Pale Moon repository (and any other Fx forks that still support XUL and XPCOM) as soon as Mozilla officially declares the deprecation of XUL and XPCOM in Firefox. If Mozilla sticks to their proposed timeline, that should be anytime between now and six months from now.

Consequently, we have decided to deprecate add-ons that depend on XUL, XPCOM, and XBL. We don’t have a specific timeline for deprecation, but most likely it will take place within 12 to 18 months from now.* We are announcing the change now so that developers can prepare and offer feedback. Add-ons that are built using the new WebExtension API will continue to work. We will also continue supporting SDK add-ons as long as they don’t use require(‘chrome’) or some of the low-level APIs that provide access to XUL elements.

* This was posted on Aug 21, 2015
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Excellent. I am so happy to hear this!

Thank you!
VLM

Return to FEBE/CLEO