Why So Many Script Errors

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Why So Many Script Errors

Postby KitchM » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:38 pm

From reading various posts, as well as the introductory ones, I have noticed a lot of problems with FEBE stopping, or hanging, from scripts not completing correctly. What is with all the script problems?

Mine keeps hanging at "Script: chrome://febe/content/febe.js:8717". Maybe others have their own "pet" script that keeps them unhappy like me.

What are you trying to do with FEBE that other backups don't do?

Thanks.
KitchM

Re: Why So Many Script Errors

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:49 pm

When FEBE is backing up, there are a lot of things going on. Firefox has a built-in timer that assumes something has gone with a script after a certain number of seconds elapse without completion (I don't recall offhand what the default number is, but I think it is around 20 seconds). If Fx is busy doing other things, these scripts will take longer to complete, thus the script timeout message. If you are getting the message consistently, you can bump it in FEBE Options > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Chrome script timeout (seconds). Try setting it to '60'.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby KitchM » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:21 am

With the knowledge that current personal computers with modern microprocessors can handle tens of millions of instructions per second, the real issue is why anything is taking so long. That anything needs even 10 seconds seem enormous to me.
KitchM

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:05 pm

Much of that time is spent waiting for asynchronous and/or synchronous routines to finish. For instance, have you ever gone to a webpage that takes a long time to load? Well, other scripts are waiting for that page to finish loading before they can continue doing what they were written to do. This can cause a domino effect.

FEBE has routines where it calls home to AMO to get information about your installed extensions. If the AMO server is down, slow, or having other issues, FEBE waits patiently for the information. In the meantime, Firefox's ever-present script timers are chomping at the bit to prompt you to stop the script or continue waiting.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby KitchM » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:57 pm

Its supposed to backup Firefox, not phone home.
KitchM

Postby KitchM » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:18 am

Script: chrome://febe/content/febe.js:8717 always hangs me up. Timeout is set to 60, but it doesn't help. Now what?
KitchM

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:57 am

FEBE is trying to open a new zip file to write to.

Code: Select all
zipW = new ZipWriter();
if(append){
   zipW.open(zipFile, PR_RDWR | PR_CREATE_FILE | PR_APPEND);
}else{
   zipW.open(zipFile, PR_RDWR | PR_CREATE_FILE | PR_TRUNCATE);
}

What type of backup are you performing (full profile, selective)? Is your backup destination directory a local drive? Does it have complete read/write permissions for all users? Try opening your destination directory and monitor it while the backup is running. Do any files get written? Does it seem to hang only on a specific file?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby KitchM » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:38 am

I remembered that opening Thunar, the file manager, on my Xubuntu system takes a very long time to open (30+ seconds), and it tends to open a second instance another 20 or so seconds after the first, I decided to start the backup and then open Thunar once it started. Sure enough, after the second instance of the file manager opened, FEBE was able to complete the process, but only after selecting to continue on the script time-out pop-up.

I just ran it again, and it worked after selecting to continue from the pop-up. Perhaps it only needs the file manager to run one time per session, but it will still time out the script.
KitchM

Return to FEBE/CLEO