The end of FEBE is near?

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

The end of FEBE is near?

Postby cyrix » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:09 am

I've heard that Mozilla is doing away with XPCOM and XUL, which will massively change the way Firefox handles extensions. Does this spell the end for many beloved extensions such as FEBE?
cyrix

Re: The end of FEBE is near?

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Yes, you may have read that Mozilla will deprecate XPCOM and XUL. When this happens, FEBE (and all my other extensions) will no longer work with Firefox. My extensions will, however, be maintained for Pale Moon (and any other compliant Fx forks).

So it won't be the end of FEBE, but it may very well be the end of Firefox - certainly as we know it now, and who knows ... maybe altogether. The world does not need another Chrome clone, it does need what Firefox is now.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: The end of FEBE is near?

Postby cyrix » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:31 am

Dang. Over the months I've tweaked Firefox Australis to the point where I actually love it! So, Pale Moon is a no go for me because it uses the old format. Cyberfox and Waterfox have Australis, but they might deprecate XPCOM and XUL when Mozilla does. Maybe I'll just stick with an old Firefox version when the big changeover happens.
cyrix

Return to FEBE/CLEO