Another 0x80520015 error

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Another 0x80520015 error

Postby LesC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:10 am

Thanks for having me on the forum.

I'm a relative newbie and I've tried to do what I am able to solve this problem and to search for a solution before asking.

I've seen that others have reported an 0x80520015 error before. I've tried to do what has been suggested but I am at the limit of my knowledge and don't want to change anything further without checking.

I'd like to give you the exact error but it's a lot of code. I have looked to see if there is some wire to get a but I can't see it. I've taken a screenshot but don't know how to paste it (I told you I was a newbie.)

As far as I can tell my profile has all the necessary permissions. I did have some old profiles and I have deleted them. I renamed my profile but FEBE keeps referring to it as its old name.

I did read that people had been having previous directories deletion problems so I moved out all previous backups into a safe directory out of the way, so that should have not been an issue.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling FEBE and clearing the cache but the new version somehow remembers the old preferences.

I am not really sure how to progress from here and any advice would be much appreciated.

The only other information I think I can give you at this stage is that it's Firefox version 49.0.2 and FEBE version 8.9.2

Thank you very much.
LesC

Re: Another 0x80520015 error

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:04 am

It would be helpful to have the complete error message. If the error appears in a FEBE popup window, there should be a button labeled "Copy to clipboard" (if not, this can be turned on by selecting FEBE Options > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Message popup style > Include 'Copy to clipboard' button on popup messages). Once copied to the clipboard, you can paste the message into your reply (CTRL-V). The full error gives me the location in FEBE code that indicates exactly where it is failing.

I believe the 0x80520015 error is NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED error which would indicate that FEBE is having problems writing the backups to your destination directory.

Try running "Verify extension directory" and "Set read/write permissions in backup folder" in FEBE Options > Advanced > Tools.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby LesC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:08 am

Just testing to see if I can upload the error message I get...

Here goes:

LesC

Postby LesC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:13 am

Thank you for the reply.

I just looked to verify the directory as shown below:

@automatic-reader-view Automatic Reader View - OK
@simplepopupblocker Simple Popup Blocker - OK
@testpilot-addon Test Pilot - OK
adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net AdBlocker Ultimate - OK

None of these is my directory.

The original error message still indicates that messages are trying to be written to Les Even Newer Profile even though I renamed that profile using the popup box allowing the choice of profile on FF bootup.
LesC

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:02 am

Renaming the profile in the manner you did only changes the internal name, not the name of the physical directory where the profile is located. This doesn't really matter in this case as the actual files are in the directory in which they belong.

Please examine the contents and permissions of the directory {13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}\features in your profile folder and see if you can determine what extension or app the files belong to.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby LesC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:13 am

cbaker_admin wrote:Renaming the profile in the manner you did only changes the internal name, not the name of the physical directory where the profile is located. This doesn't really matter in this case as the actual files are in the directory in which they belong.

Please examine the contents and permissions of the directory {13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}\features in your profile folder and see if you can determine what extension or app the files belong to.

Thank you for the reply, Chuck.

I've just looked in C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox and can't see any file or directory {13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}\features

Even if I found it, to be honest, I wouldn't know how to determine the extension or app the files belonged to...
LesC

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:28 am

I believe you are looking in the wrong place. Your [profile] is located in a directory named something similar to C:\Users\cbake\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.

If you can open any of the files with a text editor (like notepad), you may be able to figure out what extension or program they belong to. Perhaps even the names of some of the files will help. I've tried googling "{13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}" but couldn't find anything about it (but I'll admit I may have incorrectly entered the wrong string of characters to search for ... the error message screenshot you posted is a little hard to read on my hig-res monitor. You may want to reconsider changing FEBE Options > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Message popup style > Include 'Copy to clipboard' button on popup messages. That way a text version of the message can be posted and makes it easier to copy/paste into a search field).
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby LesC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:47 am

cbaker_admin wrote:I believe you are looking in the wrong place. Your [profile] is located in a directory named something similar to C:\Users\cbake\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.

If you can open any of the files with a text editor (like notepad), you may be able to figure out what extension or program they belong to. Perhaps even the names of some of the files will help. I've tried googling "{13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}" but couldn't find anything about it (but I'll admit I may have incorrectly entered the wrong string of characters to search for ... the error message screenshot you posted is a little hard to read on my hig-res monitor. You may want to reconsider changing FEBE Options > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Message popup style > Include 'Copy to clipboard' button on popup messages. That way a text version of the message can be posted and makes it easier to copy/paste into a search field).

I looked in the kind of directory you indicated and was able to find the directory. Unfortunately I can't open that directory.

I also searched in the Start Menu for that file name and got several hits, but I can't seem to open them. They appear to be either JavaScript files (mainly) or FBU files. Both of these appear to be located in the 'new' directory I created to house the old FEBE backups safely out of the way of the usual download directory.

Thanks for the suggestion — here is the error message:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)
[nsIFile.isDirectory]" nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame
:: chrome://febe/content/febe.js :: FEBE.febeZip/zip :: line 8725" data: no]

Could not read file '{13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}' in profile directory:
C:\Users\Les\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\dice8b86.Les Even Newer Profile\features

This may be due to a permissions problem.
Check the permission of the directory using FEBE Options > Advanced > Set read/write permissions in backup folder

Backup aborted!

Thank you for your continued efforts on my behalf.
LesC

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:07 pm

What type of backup are you attempting '(Selective' or 'Full profile' as defined in FEBE Options > What to backup > Backup type)? If 'Selective' then the problem is most likely caused by an installed extension, otherwise it could be something completely different. Are you trying to examine the contents of the files with Firefox closed? If Firefox is open, the files may be locked.

It is interesting to note that your Start Menu search listed some .fbu (FEBE backup) files. That means that FEBE was able to read that folder at some point but cannot do so now. If you can't read the file contents directly, you may be able to read them from the .fbu files. Try rename one of the .fbu files to .zip and open it with any zip file reader (like 7-Zip).
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby LesC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:10 pm

Thanks for that, Chuck.

I'll give that a try and get back to you tomorrow, if I may.

Kindest regards,

Les
LesC

Postby LesC » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:45 am

cbaker_admin wrote:What type of backup are you attempting '(Selective' or 'Full profile' as defined in FEBE Options > What to backup > Backup type)? If 'Selective' then the problem is most likely caused by an installed extension, otherwise it could be something completely different. Are you trying to examine the contents of the files with Firefox closed? If Firefox is open, the files may be locked.

It is interesting to note that your Start Menu search listed some .fbu (FEBE backup) files. That means that FEBE was able to read that folder at some point but cannot do so now. If you can't read the file contents directly, you may be able to read them from the .fbu files. Try rename one of the .fbu files to .zip and open it with any zip file reader (like 7-Zip).

I have 'Both' selected, i.e. Selective and Full.

I closed FF and renamed the FBU file. This allowed me to open it, but there are so many directories and files under there I wouldn't know what to look for.

It is not clear what the problem is to me. If I am not able to download a particular extension would it not just make sense to disable them all and make sure I could download everything else and then enable them each one by one until the culprit is found? That could be then updated or excluded as necessary?

Would that work, do you think?

Thanks.
LesC

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:22 pm

We need to know if the backup if failing during a Full Profile backup, Selective Backup, or both. Selecting 'Both' in this instance is not helpful because once the error occurs the backup aborts. Try running two separate backups - one 'Selective' and the other 'Full Profile' to determine which (or both) is failing.

When opening the .fbu file, you are looking for a directory named 'features'. It is either in the main root of the .fbu file or possibly within a subfolder named '{13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}'. It is the content of this 'features' folder we need to examine for any clue as to the name of the extension or app that causing the problem. If you feel uncomfortable doing this, you may extract the 'features' folder from the .fbu archive, zip it up and attach it to your reply in this thread.

... would it not just make sense to disable them all and make sure I could download everything else and then enable them each one by one until the culprit is found?

Yes ... it would. How many extensions do you have installed? If it is just a few, then it would be a good idea to disable them all, run a selective backup and see if the error persists. If you still get the error with all extensions disabled, then the problem does not stem from any particular addon and must be caused by something else. (Note: Make sure you have FEBE ignore disabled extensions during the backup by selecting FEBE Options > How to backup > Preferences > Ignore disabled extensions.) If the error does not occur when all extensions are disabled, then it is just a matter of finding which extension is the culprit. (If you have a lot of extensions installed, I have another addon named FECT that can help find the culprit.)

If the error only occurs during a full profile backup, then we need to find out what '{13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}' and/or 'features' is and deal with it appropriately.

Just to be clear, did you say you could not open C:\Users\Les\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\dice8b86.Les Even Newer Profile\features directly? If you get a permissions problem, can you add the correct permissions through Right-click > Properties > Security?

ETA: I found C:\Users\cbake\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\8lsmkojy.Chuck\features on my machine, but it was empty. The permissions on that folder have 'Full control' set for all users.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby LesC » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:50 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:We need to know if the backup if failing during a Full Profile backup, Selective Backup, or both. Selecting 'Both' in this instance is not helpful because once the error occurs the backup aborts. Try running two separate backups - one 'Selective' and the other 'Full Profile' to determine which (or both) is failing.

When opening the .fbu file, you are looking for a directory named 'features'. It is either in the main root of the .fbu file or possibly within a subfolder named '{13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}'. It is the content of this 'features' folder we need to examine for any clue as to the name of the extension or app that causing the problem. If you feel uncomfortable doing this, you may extract the 'features' folder from the .fbu archive, zip it up and attach it to your reply in this thread.

... would it not just make sense to disable them all and make sure I could download everything else and then enable them each one by one until the culprit is found?

Yes ... it would. How many extensions do you have installed? If it is just a few, then it would be a good idea to disable them all, run a selective backup and see if the error persists. If you still get the error with all extensions disabled, then the problem does not stem from any particular addon and must be caused by something else. (Note: Make sure you have FEBE ignore disabled extensions during the backup by selecting FEBE Options > How to backup > Preferences > Ignore disabled extensions.) If the error does not occur when all extensions are disabled, then it is just a matter of finding which extension is the culprit. (If you have a lot of extensions installed, I have another addon named FECT that can help find the culprit.)

If the error only occurs during a full profile backup, then we need to find out what '{13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}' and/or 'features' is and deal with it appropriately.

Just to be clear, did you say you could not open C:\Users\Les\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\dice8b86.Les Even Newer Profile\features directly? If you get a permissions problem, can you add the correct permissions through Right-click > Properties > Security?

ETA: I found C:\Users\cbake\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\8lsmkojy.Chuck\features on my machine, but it was empty. So you must have something installed that I don't have.

Good news!

I selected 'Full profile' first and the backup didn't even get off the ground (no movement in the progress bar) and then it returned the same error.

I then selected 'Selective' (which had all the same boxes checked, so I am not sure how they differ) and it worked! No error message:

22/10/2016 20:30:02
Item count: 38 total backed up — 28 extensions, 0 themes, 10 additional items.
Backup type: Selective, Manual, Mode: Synchronous
Backup location: C:\Users\Les\Documents\A - Firefox Backups\FEBE 2016 10-22 20.30.02
Total processing time: 5.811 seconds

8 items skipped/ignored
Extensions processed: 28 total
Themes processed: 0 total
Additional items: 10
Bookmarks (html) backed up to: bookmarksFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.2){Les Even Newer Profile}.html
Bookmarks (json) backed up to: bookmarksFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.2){Les Even Newer Profile}.json
Cookies backed up to: cookiesFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.2){Les Even Newer Profile}.json
Form Fill History backed up to: ffhistoryFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.2){Les Even Newer Profile}.json
Browser History backed up to: historyFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.2){Les Even Newer Profile}.json
Permissions backed up to: permissionsFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.2){Les Even Newer Profile}.fbu
Preferences backed up to: prefsFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.2){Les Even Newer Profile}.js
Search Plugins backed up to: searchPluginsFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.2){Les Even Newer Profile}.mozlz4
User-defined 'FEBE user-defined backup data' backed up to: FEBE dataFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.2){Les Even Newer Profile}febeUserDefinedBuData.json
Usernames and Passwords backed up to: usernames-passwordsFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.2){Les Even Newer Profile}.json

Also, the original download folder now has 13 back up folders in it (dated yesterday and today)

I can now see C:\Users\Les\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\dice8b86.Les Even Newer Profile\features directly, too. This might be due to the Selective back up having worked, though. There are two files in that directory. Both need admin privileges to see them. I did so and then got the following message:

This is very good work, Chuck, thank you for all your help - I'm breathing again!

(What does ETA stand for?)
Last edited by LesC on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LesC

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:14 pm

That's an interesting screenshot. Are you using Windows 10? I am, but my permissions window looks a bit different.

In any event, this is where you need to give full access permissions to everybody. I'll assume that by taking ownership of the files you will have the ability to do this.

At least we determined that '{13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}' is not affiliated with any regular (user installed) extension. While we still do not know exactly what it is, at least others reading this may solve their problem if they are experiencing something similar.

There is quite a bit of difference between a 'Full profile' and 'Selective' backup. A full profile backup just blindly backs up everything in your profile directory. A selective backup parses each part of the profile individually and extracts what it needs to create a restore-able content file.

(BTW, 'ETA' is an acronym for 'Edited To Add'). And 'BTW' is short for 'By the way' :wink: )
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby LesC » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:25 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:That's an interesting screenshot. Are you using Windows 10? I am, but my permissions window looks a bit different.

In any event, this is where you need to give full access permissions to everybody. I'll assume that by taking ownership of the files you will have the ability to do this.

At least we determined that '{13b3c4b4-4be4-4fe3-9d82-769f14bc3e2b}' is not affiliated with any regular (user installed) extension. While we still do not know exactly what it is, at least others reading this may solve their problem if they are experiencing something similar.

There is quite a bit of difference between a 'Full profile' and 'Selective' backup. A full profile backup just blindly backs up everything in your profile directory. A selective backup parses each part of the profile individually and extracts what it needs to create a restore-able content file.

(BTW, 'ETA' is an acronym for 'Edited To Add'). And 'BTW' is short for 'By the way' :wink: )

No, I'm using Windows 7. Five Level 1 techs and 2 Level 2's couldn't install 10 on my machine. They finally suggested I do a clean install but not having the media on which to store all my files I declined. Paying for an external harddrive hardly constitues a 'free upgrade of software' and I find W7 perfectly acceptable! *smile*

So, you would like me (Les) to own the files?

After that I click on Properties and just make sure all the boxes of permissions are checked for all users?

Thanks, too, for the explanation of the abbreviations. BTW I knew. ETA I knew but as Estimated Time of Arrival. *smile*

Thanks.
LesC

Next

Return to FEBE/CLEO