missing fbu files

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

missing fbu files

Postby meeotch » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:47 pm

I just tried to restore my FF profile for the first time, from the most recent of my weekly automatic backups. I discovered that there is no .fbu file inside the dated directories. There are a lot of other things: xpi's, various json files, and in fact an .fbu labeled "permissions" with a 3KB file size. But nothing that looks like the "main" profile .fbu. When backing up manually from the menu, everything seems to go fine - no warnings/errors.

I'm using FEBE 8.9.2 on FF 48.0.2 now, but the backups in question were created with various versions: FF 47, 48 & 49. Am I missing something here?
meeotch

Re: missing fbu files

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:12 pm

What is your "Backup type" set to in FEBE Options > What to backup? If it is set to "Selective", then no full profile backup is performed.

A valid full profile backup would be named something similar to profileFx49.0.2(FEBE8.9.3.1){Chuck}.fbu.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby meeotch » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Ah - o.k. It seems to be set to Selective, but all of the individual options are checked. Strange, I don't recall setting that up.

One related question: I know that extensions can store stuff in various other places, directories in the profile dir, prefs.js, etc. Does FEBE make any attempt to capture/restore those items, or just the xpi files? And if I changed the backup to "Full", would it then just zip up the entire profile dir - including extension-related stuff, but probably also unnecessary caches, etc.?
meeotch

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:41 pm

A 'Full profile" backup does indeed just zip up the entire Fx profile including any/all files, directories and sub-directories. So if any extensions store their data within the profile folder, it does get backed up. If any cache and/or phishing database exists, they will be backed up unless the FEBE Options > How to backup > Ignore cache and phishing DB is checked.

A "Selective" backup, however, only packs the extensions into installable .xpi files - much like what gets installed from the Mozilla Add-ons site.

I have written a couple of extensions (OPIE and OPIE2) that export extension preference data that can be imported into new installations.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to FEBE/CLEO