Pale Moon - Current Status?

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Pale Moon - Current Status?

Postby VLM » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Greetings Chuck!

Just checking in to learn the current status of FEBE, CLEO, and OPIE wrt Pale Moon v. 27, which has been the current version for a while now. For example, does FEBE 8.3.1 seem to run okay in PM 27? CLEO 6.0.1? OPIE 5.0.2.1-signed? Or have you begun to update these specifically with PM in mind?

Thank you kindly,
Elchanan
VLM

Re: Pale Moon - Current Status?

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:55 pm

To my knowledge, FEBE 8.3.1 and the current versions of CLEO and OPIE all run fine on Pale Moon. When Mozilla finally deprecates XPCOM and XUL (with Fx v57 to be released in November of this year), I plan to re-release the extensions (with version numbers starting with '10') for Fx clones and forks that still support XPCOM and XUL. This, of course, includes Pale Moon.

FEBE v10 will initially be the same as FEBE v8.3.1 and I will make modifications as needed to fully support the XPCOM and XUL compatible versions of the Fx clones and forks (but not Firefox itself. Most of my extensions cannot be written properly with the WebExtensions platform that Fx and Chrome adopted).

I will be retiring from my day job at the end of May this year. At that time I will be able to devote the attention needed to do the modifications.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby MrFirefoxUser » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Are you planning to create a new FEBE that is compatible with WebExtensions?
MrFirefoxUser

Postby VLM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:49 am

Thank you Chuck, and congratulations on your retirement. I'm sure you've earned it, and then some. :clap: I will go ahead and instal the extensions as they are.

All the best!
Elchanan
VLM

Postby VLM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:03 am

Just to be clear, we are looking at OPIE, not OPIE2, correct?
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:27 pm

@MrFirefoxUser:

WebExtensions is far too limiting to write extensions as sophisticated as FEBE. FEBE requires the ability to access a users bookmarks, passwords, cookies, etc., and the ability to write to the user's hard disk. WebExtensions (at least at the current stage) cannot do this.

@VLM:

OPIE for sure and probably OPIE2 should be work with Pale Moon. Offhand, I cannot remember if OPIE2 contains code only applicable to Firefox versions after v27. (Thanks for the kudos! I'm very much looking forward to getting back to extension development on a more permanent basis.)
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Thanks Chuck, and you're most welcome!

I don't remember the difference between OPIE and OPIE2, but I seem to recall that the former worked better with PM 26.x, last time I checked. Have installed but not tried yet with PM 27.x.
VLM

Return to FEBE/CLEO