Using other Cloud services besides DropBox?

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Using other Cloud services besides DropBox?

Postby lancer525 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:56 am

I have had a MediaFire account for longer than I can remember, and I'd like to be able to use it for my backup location for FEBE.

How do I tell FEBE to send my backup files to MediaFire?

Or to any other cloud-based storage service sites, for that matter??
lancer525

Re: Using other Cloud services besides DropBox?

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:22 pm

If you can access the cloud drive through Windows Explorer ("This PC" on Windows 10), then you can have FEBE backup to the cloud. Under FEBE Options > Cloud Services > (middle tab - the one between Dropbox and Box) > Other backup locations, enter a name and a location. For instance, my google drive is named "Google drive" and the location is C:\Users\CBake\Google Drive\FEBE backups. Make sure the "Enabled" box is checked.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby lancer525 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:25 am

Mr. Baker: You've just described something I have absolutely no idea about. I have no clue what it means to "Access the cloud drive through windows explorer" because I don't see how that can be done. How do you add a link to a web page into your hard drive? I don't think that can be done. I don't use "Google drive" and don't know that I'd want my information out there where anyone can find it. I'd much rather have a secure, encrypted location where it could be stored. One that requires robust security of logging in to get to.

I'm afraid you're going to have to explain this in much more detail before I understand it, or stop being skeptical of it. Which I know you don't have time to do.

So, I am at an impasse.
lancer525

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:49 am

Firstly, "Windows Explorer" is not the same as "Microsoft Internet Explorer". The former is a program that allows you to list and open files on your hard drive and the later is an internet browser.

Do you have an icon on your desktop (probably named "MediaFire") that, when clicked, opens your MediaFire cloud drive? I mean opens it up directly without prompting for a username or password.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby lancer525 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 am

Yes, thank you. I'm aware that Windows Explorer isn't the same thing as IE.

I use Firefox in any case.

I have a bookmark that takes me to the web page, I don't have an icon. You can do that?
lancer525

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:37 am

Probably not. You would need a drive path to MediaFire (i.e., something like "C:\MediaFire") which you can access the MediaFire cloud through Windows Explorer. Google and Dropbox offer such a link but perhaps MediaFire does not.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby lancer525 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:00 am

Perhaps I need to find a secure cloud site that offers such a thing. Thank you for taking the time to explain. I know you didn't need to do it, but I'm glad you did.
lancer525

Postby lancer525 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:06 am

If I'm understanding what you're telling me, what I need to do is find a Cloud Service site that offers a "virtual drive" on my computer, correct? That way, the files will sync and upload directly to the storage without my intervention or having to log onto a web page? Is that right?
lancer525

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:11 am

Yes. You are correct. I should have said "virtual drive" to begin with. It would have caused less confusion.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby lancer525 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:48 am

Many, many thanks. Now I just have to figure out how to do it... ;)
lancer525

Postby lancer525 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:26 am

I think I've actually run into a legitimate question...

Downloaded Pcloud (https://www.pcloud.com/) and installed the desktop client that created a virtual drive found in Windows Explorer.

In the "Options" menu, "Where to Backup" tab, I have listed my Pcloud drive folder. (P:\Backup Files)

I also tried to set up in the "Cloud Services tab" the same location, and am getting some sort of error message. "Names and locations must be unique and different than the backup destination directory" Do I create a different location, or just use the Pcloud drive folder as above?
lancer525

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:51 am

You cannot have both your regular FEBE backup destination folder and a cloud service folder be the same. Either use "P:\Backup Files" for "FEBE Options > Cloud Services > Other backup locations" (and have another local directory for your FEBE backup destination directory), or have "P:\Backup Files" set as your FEBE backup destination directory and remove the pCloud entry in "Other backup locations".
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby lancer525 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:58 am

Got it... I think that's what I ended up doing. Thanks again for all your help!
lancer525

Return to FEBE/CLEO