Febe constantly writing to disk

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Febe constantly writing to disk

Postby cattledogit » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 pm

My SSD has gone from 67% life remaining to 60% remaining in a month, according to SMART, so I started looking for sources of frequent disk writes. Febe's disk activity seems to far exceed any other app's.

With one window and several tabs open to static pages, several Febe-related processes are writing about 300KB/sec on average to the SSD, including multiple instances of:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\febeprof.<user>\sessionstore-backups\recovery.js

For the time being I created a symbolic link to F:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\febeprof.<user> on the system's HDD, but I'm not sure why Febe would be constantly writing and reading files, or whether this would impact browser performance.

Thanks for Febe! I've found it's restore feature invaluable since I use many addons. (I've donated)
cattledogit

Re: Febe constantly writing to disk

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:15 pm

FEBE is not writing that file, Fx is. The file "febeprof.<user>" is just the folder where your profile resides. The name starts with "febeprof" because it is a profile that was created and restored to by FEBE. Generally speaking, the only time FEBE is writing to disk is during a backup.

As far as I know, the sessionstore-backups directory is updated every time a page is loaded. It's there to open the same tabs when Fx is started as were open when Fx was last closed.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Febe constantly writing to disk

Postby cattledogit » Thu May 25, 2017 11:23 am

Apparently Fx is known to write many GB per day to disk by default via recovery.js: Firefox is eating your SSD – here is how to fix it. Chrome actually writes more.

Thanks for your reply.
cattledogit

Return to FEBE/CLEO