FBEE 8.9.3.1 hangs FF Nightly 56.0a1

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

FBEE 8.9.3.1 hangs FF Nightly 56.0a1

Postby ks234 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:33 am

Hi,

I'm using FEBE with FireFox Nightly since 2 or 3 years now (on Mac) and never had a problem. But with the upgrade to FF Nightly to version 56 FEBE hangs FF in such a way, that I need to "force kill" Nightly. I was not able to get any further information, as I found no possibility to do any real debugging of the issue. Only thing I found: Starting with a fresh Nightly w/o any Add-Ons, installing FEBE (but _not_ configure it!) and restarting Nightly gives no problems, no hang, nothing. As soon as I open the configuration box of FEBE and try to browse for a place to store backups, Nightly hangs, the Mac "rotating ball" appears and only "force kill" lets me stop Nightly.

A have'nt tried yet if the same happens on the Windows version of Nightly...

Anything I could to to help get FEBE working with Nightly again?

ks234
ks234

Re: FBEE 8.9.3.1 hangs FF Nightly 56.0a1

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:29 am

It most likely has to do with the introduction of multi-process in Fx. Others have mentioned that this affects FEBE operation. You can disable multi-process with the instructions found here. Unfortunately, this is only a temporary solution as FEBE will no longer be supported after the release of Fx v57 this fall.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: FBEE 8.9.3.1 hangs FF Nightly 56.0a1

Postby ks234 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:42 am

Hm, I tried with FF multiprocessing disabled - the problem persists.

Sad, that Mozillas "political" decisions make FEBE and a lot of other really usefull extensions go away. Time to look for another browser?(!)

ks234
ks234

Return to FEBE/CLEO