Firefox freezes

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Firefox freezes

Postby ve2cii » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:02 pm

FEBE 8.9.3.1 Firefox-56.0b1 and Firefox-56.0b3 Linux Slackware64-14.1
When I go to do a backup firefox freezes immediately as soon as the backup starts. It does not unfreeze and I have to
kill the process and start firefox again. With firefox-55 FEBE runs perfectly. This happens every time and is very
easily reproducible. Let me know if you need further info.
ve2cii

Re: Firefox freezes

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:31 am

Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Web Developer > Browser Console)?

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences", "Verify extension directory" and "Check AddonManager functionality" in FEBE Options > Advanced. (You will need to re-enter your FEBE backup destination directory and other backup options after clearing.)

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. Examine the error console for any FEBE related error messages (type febe in the "Search:" box). Copy/paste them here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ve2cii » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:25 pm

This is an issue. If firefox is not going to support FEBE (which I consider to be a "must have" plugin), then
it probably will not support the most if not all of the other plugins. Then except for security there will be no
difference between firefox and google-chrome. Firefox once upon a time used to be very user friendly
when it came to backing up. Just copy the home directory and presto. Not sure if that can be done today.
For google-chrome just copy the home directory and presto. I consider the ability to do a backup very
very important.
There are a number of reasons to change a program once all the bug fixes have been dealt with:

1) security (very important)

2) add new features

3) Your looking for a new way to do something, make the program more efficient.

Any one of these can cause untold headaches, which is the road it seems firefox is going down.
ve2cii

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:37 pm

You can always backup your profile by copying it to a safe location, but it's an all-or-nothing proposition. And restoring is also an all-or-none situation. You can't (at least not easily) restore just things like bookmarks, cookies, username/passwords, etc. without knowing exactly what to copy over. And you can't really pick and choose individual extensions to restore. That's why I created FEBE in the first place - the ability to have total control and flexibility in keeping your Fx running in case of crashes and/or accidental deletion of critical parts of the browser.

Gone are the glory days when Fx was a power-users browser (from the release of v4 up to the time Australis landed in v28). Its been downhill ever since. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what possessed Mozilla to start their road to ruin by deprecating the only real thing that made Firefox stand out - the ability to install powerful extensions that transformed the browser into something users really wanted. Near complete individual customization. WebExtensions is very restrictive in what it can do. I'm sure that many useful add-ons can be written with it, but none of them can ever do what we could do with XUL and XPCOM.

As thousands of others have pointed out, why does Fx want to be a Chrome clone? If we wanted Chrome we would simply install it instead of some wannabe copycat.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ve2cii » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Sometimes the people that do programming are a bit thick in the head. A perfect example is Ubuntu and Unity. They replaced a perfectly good
gnome desktop with this useless thing that looks like a microsoft windows 7 clone. That together with the networking issues turned me completely off
from using Ubuntu, LXDE came with Ubuntu and I liked it hence Ubuntu stayed till I figured out that Debian 8.6+ did not have the networking
issues as well as it came with LXDE as a choice. Ubuntu is gone and Debian has stayed. Now that LXDE has fixed the version for
Slackware, Debian is on the way out. Good old Slackware right from the beginning has been issue free. The Ubuntu people were stubborn
didn't want to admit they goofed, and lost a lot of users. So now firefox is going to be stubborn and going to loose users as well. Too bad.
Oh yes, the firefox that I have for windows10 is a real nightmare. Every time I bootup the machine it disables all the plugins. And I am told
this is the way it is supposed to work. Something about disabling plugins every time the firefox updates. Well the updater is crap.
ve2cii

Return to FEBE/CLEO