Downgrading FF 55

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Downgrading FF 55

Postby Alexo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 pm

So I stupidly upgraded to FF 55 without checking that it broke downgrading.

Firefox 55 changed the on-disk format of persistent storage in profiles. Once a profile has been used with Firefox 55 (or later), it should not be used with previous versions of Firefox. IndexedDB, the (DOM) Cache API, Service Workers, and the asm.js cache will all fail to operate, generating confusing errors and causing portions of Firefox and some websites to break. The profile can be made operable again in older versions of Firefox by using the profile "refresh" mechanism. If you want to test with both stable and nightly versions of Firefox, we recommend using separate profiles. The developer edition of Firefox automatically uses a custom profile by default.

-- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1357428#c6

I'd like to go down to FF 52 ESR.
Unfortunately, refreshing will remove all my extensions, their settings, and other things, so it is is not an optimal solution.

Can I use FEBE to back up my FF 55 profile and restore it to FF 52?
Alexo

Re: Downgrading FF 55

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:40 am

Probably not. It looks like you would need a backup of your profile prior to v55. Do you have any older FEBE backups you may have forgotten about? I search my external and cloud drives and was able to find backups of Fx 53 and Fx 50 that I can use to restore to pre-Fx 55 if I need to.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Alexo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:48 am

Unfortunately not. I haven't used FEBE until now.

The annoying part for me is to reinstall and reconfigure all of the extensions.
Alexo

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:59 am

I misunderstood your first post. I thought you wanted to restore a v55 full profile backup to Fx v52.

You can use FEBE and OPIE (or OPIE2) to backup/restore extensions and their data to earlier versions of Fx.

BTW, AMO has OPIE2 marked as incompatible with Fx 55, but it's not true - it works just fine.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Alexo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:I misunderstood your first post. I thought you wanted to restore a v55 full profile backup to Fx v52.

I would like to retain as much of the profile as possible. I'll detail my plan below.

cbaker_admin wrote:You can use FEBE and OPIE (or OPIE2) to backup/restore extensions and their data to earlier versions of Fx.
BTW, AMO has OPIE2 marked as incompatible with Fx 55, but it's not true - it works just fine.

What is the difference between OPIE and OPIE 2 ?
Should I use FEBE or OPIE(2) ?

Plan:

This is what Mozilla says:
These items and settings will be removed:
Extensions and themes, website permissions, modified preferences, added search engines, DOM storage, security certificate and device settings, download actions, plugin settings, toolbar customizations, user styles and social features will be removed.

Extensions and themes -- I plan to use FEBE/OPIE/OPIE2 to restore
Website permissions -- no idea how to save
modified preferences -- overwrite the js file(s)
added search engines -- export to XML
DOM storage -- no idea how to save, or even if I want to
security certificate and device settings -- no idea how to save
download actions -- no idea how to save
plugin settings -- I'm running 64-bit FF, so not many plugins
toolbar customizations -- no idea how to save, unfortunately
user styles -- copy userContent.css
social features -- die in a fire!

Any suggestions are welcome!
Alexo

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:35 pm

In this case, you would want to use FEBE/OPIE/OPIE2 to restore your extensions and their respective options. With all the other items, FEBE won't be of much help.

OPIE2 is an advanced version of the original OPIE. It does a better job of finding extension settings than OPIE does. FEBE does not backup/restore individual extension preferences, just the entire set of Fx preferences/options (which include extension settings) but it's an all-or-nothing preposition. To be on the safe side, don't use FEBE to restore the preferences, just the extensions themselves. Then use OPIE(2) to restore the preferences. They can be exported (backed up) and imported (restored) all at once by exporting them into a single file (see OPIE options).

If you have several extensions, you can use FEBE's 'Quick Backup' option to get all your extensions backed up into a single, installable .xpi file. Then you can restore them all at once.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to FEBE/CLEO