Will you be updating FEBE for Firefox 57

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Will you be updating FEBE for Firefox 57

Postby charles_i » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm sure you are aware that the 57 upgrade in November 2017 no longer supports FEBE. Are there any plans for a version that will be compatible?

Thanks
Charles
Long time FEBE user
charles_i

Re: Will you be updating FEBE for Firefox 57

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Unfortunately, no. The WebExtensions APIs are simply not capable of supporting the functions FEBE (and most of my other extensions) require. I doubt Mozilla will ever release APIs that allow access to user's bookmarks, passwords, cookies, etc. There is not even a way to write to a users filesystem, so backing up is impossible.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Sun42 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:26 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Unfortunately, no. The WebExtensions APIs are simply not capable of supporting the functions FEBE (and most of my other extensions) require. I doubt Mozilla will ever release APIs that allow access to user's bookmarks, passwords, cookies, etc. There is not even a way to write to a users filesystem, so backing up is impossible.

With Mozilla pracitally being in a frenzy to migrare lecacy extensions to we by adding api hooks - did you ask for the changes you require and got a negative answert, or did you simply stop trying after the switch to we was announced ~two years ago?

It would be nice to havve some demonstration of how helpful Mozilla actually are to extension authors that aren't among the top 10 like NoScript :-o
Sun42

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:56 pm

No, I never have asked Mozilla.

From the very beginning, one of the main philosophies of WebExtensions was to "prevent attack vectors for malware". Reading/writing files to a user's filesystem is an obvious way to introduce malware. FEBE not only requires the ability to write backups to the hard disk, it also needs complete access to the user's bookmarks, cookies, passwords, etc. to do its job.

Asking Mozilla for APIs to perform these actions would be, in my opinion, pointless.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Sun42 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:36 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:From the very beginning, one of the main philosophies of WebExtensions was to "prevent attack vectors for malware". Reading/writing files to a user's filesystem is an obvious way to introduce malware.

Interesting, so that would be the same reason why "Mozilla Archive Format" is discontinued as it has to access and save content?

By the way, I asked about FEBE in Mozilla's addon blog and the post wasn't published - q.e.d.
Sun42

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Sun42 wrote:By the way, I asked about FEBE in Mozilla's addon blog and the post wasn't published - q.e.d.

I guess I've been officially snubbed :wtf:

Would you supply a link to that blog?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby charles_i » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:19 pm

I posted it here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3036258 and of course they directed me to a discussion about Mozilla's own crummy MozBackup which I abandoned years ago for FEBE because it's so lame (and restoring from it doesn't always work).

Charles
charles_i

Return to FEBE/CLEO