Usernames &Passwords restoring problem

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Postby Juancho19 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:09 am

Hi,

I am having a problem trying to restore my usernames and passwords. I was always able to restore them until recently. Firefox does not want to restore them. What's going on?

I am using Windows XP, FEBE version 4.0.4, Firefox version 2.0.0.2
Juancho19

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:14 am

Hi Juancho19, welcome to the forum!

There is a problem with FEBE 4.0.4 and usernames/passwords in FX 2.0.*. It has been patched in FEBE 4.0.4p. Are you trying to restore a pre-FX2.0* password file? If so, there is something we can try.

Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Juancho19 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:56 am

Yes I am trying to restore a pre-FX2.0* password file.
Juancho19

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:07 pm

OK, I've spent several hours researching this problem. Apparently you can edit signons.txt to make it 2.0 compatible, but it seems quite complicated and error prone. (See this thread in the MozillaZine forum)

Another way is less complicated, but it is a little time-consuming.

First you would need to re-install FX 1.5 into a folder different than your current 2.0. Install FEBE in the old FX and restore the username/passwords. Export your passwords with the Password Exporter extension to a CSV file. Import the passwords using the same extension into FX 2.0. Un-install the old FX.

This method works as I have tried it myself. But if you only have a few passwords, it might be easier to just re-enter them manually as you browse.

Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Usernames & Passwords restoring problem

Postby Juancho19 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi Chuck,

Thanks! Problem solved. I tried the second method, and it worked. I installed Firefox 1.5 in a different folder etc.... It took me less than 10 minutes. There was no way I was going to enter 65 passwords manually. Thanks a lot!
Juancho19

Postby awalt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:49 pm

HI Chuck,

Great extension by the way!

I have not gotten restore passwords to work. I am going from XP Firefox 2.0.3 to Vista FF 2.0.3. Both machines have FBE 4.0.5. I just backed up again, and I renamed it a ZIP file and it appears it has lots of user/passwords. But nothing restores, and it thinks it does (it says will restore when Firefox restarts, then when it does I get a dialog box confirming).

What am I doing wrong?

thanks
awalt

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:41 pm

You probably aren't doing anything wrong ... It's most likely Vista. I now have a Vista machine and am working out the bugs as I find them.

In the meantime, you can manually restore as outlined in this FAQ item.

Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby awalt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi Chuck,

Manual restore worked - thanks.
awalt

Return to FEBE/CLEO