Gmail id restriction to register here!?!

Technical issues regarding this web forum.

Gmail id restriction to register here!?!

Postby idaw » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:50 am

When registering for this forum, I entered my usual email address, and received the error message :

Gmail addresses may not contain any periods to the left of the '@' symbol. Please re-type the email address without any periods. i.e., 'myname@gmail.com' is OK, 'my.name@gmail.com' is not.

My email address is in the form of firstname.surname.uk@gmail.com

Luckly I have another gmail id I use for software development project, which does not have periods in the name...

Is this just a restriction of phpBB ? and why Gmail? - my work email address (with major corporations) have always been in the form firstname.surname@company.com

Regards, Ian
idaw

Re: Gmail id restriction to register here!?!

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Gmail ignores periods in their email addresses, but phpBB does not. This is a trick that spammers employ to re-use a valid gmail address over and over again.

For instance, sending an email to the address "IamAspammer@gmail.com" will get to the recipient even if you were to use "i.am.a.spammer@gmail.com". The spammers know this. So if "i.am.a.spammer@gmail.com" gets blacklisted, they can simply change it to "i.ama.Spammer@gmail.com" (which may not yet be blacklisted). Upper/lower case letters do not matter either (that goes for all email addresses, even non-gmail ones).

You could have probably used the format "firstnamesurnameuk@gmail.com" to register on this forum.

You can read more about this on this blog post.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to Forum Support (not extension related)