Backup errors

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

Backup errors

Postby seas » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:07 am

Hi all!
I'm new on your forum, but I'm not new to FEBE. I'm using it few years already. After I switched to FF4 and then to FF5, I was waiting for new FEBE release (not beta), and few days ago I decided to give it a try.
Installation passed OK, but when I try to make my first backup I had a few errors.
Of addons, I have next installed:
-EPUB reader 1.4.1.0
-FEBE 7.0 beta6
-FireGesture 1.6.5
-Flagfox 4.1.4
-GetGo Mozila module 4.7.2.1004
-Java console 6.0.25
-Java console 6.0.26
-Tab Mix Plus 0.3.8.6
-Web Mail Notifier 2.7.9
And all if them are compatible with FF5 according to FF Addon manager.

Then, I have:
-Conduit engine 3.3.3.2
-Google Photos Screensaver2.0
-Microsoft. NET Framework assistant 1.2.1
-Virtus Search opt-in 3.6.7
And all of them are disabled because not compatible with FF5.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
During backup I have 4 warnings:

1) - Could not find location of GooglePhotosScreensaver{2.0}.xpi. Item skipped.
To have FEBE ignore this item during backup, go to FEBE Options > What to backup > Ignore list.
Click 'OK' to skip and continue with backup, 'Cancel' to abort.

2) - Could not find location of GetGoMozillaModule{4.7.2.1004}.xpi. Item skipped.
To have FEBE ignore this item during backup, go to FEBE Options > What to backup > Ignore list.

3) - Could not find location of JavaConsole{6.0.25}.xpi. Item skipped.

4) - Could not find location of JavaConsole{6.0.26}.xpi. Item skipped.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Result PageI have:
4 error(s) encountered.
Could not backup extension/theme Google Photos Screensaver - skipped
Could not backup extension/theme GetGo Mozilla Module - skipped
Could not backup extension/theme Java Console - skipped

Extensions processed: 9 total
1. Conduit Engine (v3.3.3.2) — Add apps to your browser from all over the Web.
2. EPUBReader (v1.4.1.0) — Read EPUB files just in the browser. No installation of additional software needed.
3. FEBE (v7.0beta6) — Backup your Firefox data
4. FireGestures (v1.6.5) — Executes various commands with mouse gestures.
5. Flagfox (v4.1.4) — Displays a flag depicting the location of the current server
6. GetGo Mozilla Module (v4.7.2.1004) — GetGo Download Manager Integration Module for Mozilla
7. Google Photos Screensaver (v2.0) — Allows you to add feeds to the Google Photos Screensaver through the Firefox right-click menu.
8. Java Console (v6.0.25) — null
9. Java Console (v6.0.26) — null
10. Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (v1.2.1) — Adds ClickOnce support and the ability to report installed .NET versions to the web server.
11. Tab Mix Plus (v0.3.8.6) — Tab browsing with an added boost.
12. Virtus Search Opt-in (v3.6.7) — Discover more with Bing
13. WebMail Notifier (v2.7.9) — Notifies your webmails

Themes processed: (5 total)
1. Aero Fox XL (v2.7.9) — The style of Windows Aero meets the substance of Firefox with original larger buttons.
2. LightweightThemes (v2.7.9) — (lightweight theme) All installed lightweight themes (Personas)
3. CarbonFox (v2.7.9) — (lightweight theme) Carbon Fox
4. Ferrari Formula One F10 (v2.7.9) — (lightweight theme) null
5. NASA Night Launch (v2.7.9) — Dark theme for Firefox. Inspired by the night launch of STS-116.

Bookmarks backed up to: bookmarks{default}.json
Preferences backed up to: prefs{default}.js
Cookies backed up to: cookies{default}.json
Usernames and Passwords backed up to: usernames-passwords{default}.json
Search Plugins backed up to: searchPlugins{default}.fbu
Permissions backed up to: permissions{default}.json
User-defined "FEBE user-defined backup data" backed up to: FEBE data{default}-febeUserDefinedBuData.json
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to add that from 5 Themes processed and backed-up, Aero Fox XL (v2.7.9) is not compatible with FF5.
After I installed new version of FEBE over old one (I didn't uninstall old version), I cleared FEBE preferences Option->Advanced->Tools->Clear FEBE Preferences.

Ass you can see, some stuff are backed up even if they are not compatible with FF5, and some stuff are not backed up and triggered an alarm but they are compatible with FF5.

What is the reason for this behavior?

Thanks in advance!!!
seas

Re: Backup errors

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:00 am

Could not backup extension/theme Google Photos Screensaver - skipped
Could not backup extension/theme GetGo Mozilla Module - skipped

These are not extensions in the true sense, but rather what are know as "proxy" extensions. That means they are not located in the Firefox extensions directory and are more "plugins" than "extensions". They do not confirm to the Mozilla extensions template and FEBE cannot back them up as installable xpis. (You'll note that none of them are available from AMO).

As noted in the error messages, you can have FEBE ignore these items during a backup in FEBE Options > What to backup > Ignore list.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby seas » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:07 am

Thank' so much cbaker for your quick response!!
On older versions it was no problems. I never have this alarms so this behavior suprised me.
In your opinion, it will be better to ignore this items or include it to the backup manually?

Again, thank you for your answer.
seas

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:03 am

It would be best to ignore them. FEBE is unlikely to be able to restore them properly anyway.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby collie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Hello Chuck,
I am a brand new user of FEBE, and it looks like a pretty great program to me! I was sorry to read that you're having so much trouble with spammers. Sometimes it's an ugly world, and I completely sympathize with the problem.

Anyway, I just installed the latest version of FEBE (7.0.3). I have been able to customize everything except for one thing. I get a warning message from FEBE like so:

Could not backup search plugins!

Would someone please give me a pointer to any information that I could read to fix the problem? Thank you in advance.

Regards,
collie-37690@mypacks.net
collie

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Search plugins are the additional search engines you have installed that appear in the Fx searchbox drop-down menu.

More specifically, the search plugins backup is a backup of the "searchplugins" folder in your profile directory. If this folder does not exist (or is empty) FEBE cannot back it up.

If that folder does not exist, FEBE should have that option disabled and unchecked in FEBE Options > What to backup > Additional items.

Does the profile/searchplugins directory exist on your computer?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby collie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:28 am

The profile directory exists on my PC, but it does not have the searchplugins directory in it. Searchplugins are enabled in FEBE options. I have to be the dumbest user on the net, and I apologize for my ignorance. It's not immediately obvious to me what I should do next. What say you?

Regards,
Jim Pardee
collie

Return to Windows 7 issues