Opie shut down- possibly due to 3.624

"Ordered Preference Import/Export" discussion and bug reporting.

Opie shut down- possibly due to 3.624

Postby Apollo702 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 am

I have used Opie(3.0) multiple times in the past and it worked well. I can't isolate if it is FF3.6.24 that is the issue. Mozilla lists it as incompatible and when selecting options from the add-ons menu it gives a broken window saying "problem loa..." If I click directly on the toolbar icon the regular menu pops up but it is almost entirely broken. When clicking on the information icons they give a small broken menu. When clicking on any of the controls they simply fail to do anything.

I did a complete uninstall and re-install and nothing changed. Any ideas?
Apollo702

Re: Opie shut down- possibly due to 3.624

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:55 am

OPIE 3.x was never intended to work with Fx 3.x (although hacking the maxVersion may have made it work unreliably). You should be using OPIE v1.2.3 available from the OPIE homepage.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Opie shut down- possibly due to 3.6.24

Postby Apollo702 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 am

Thank you. I restored the correct version- but now it can't find the preferences. I have used it MANY times in the past and now I can't seem to get it to find the preferences. Do you have any more ideas?
Apollo702

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:27 pm

OPIE v1.2.3 and OPIE v2.0 exported preferences in files named extensionName{version}.prefs. OPIE v3.x uses names in the format extensionName{version}.oprefs. The two formats are completely different. Which file extension do your export files have?

Also, you mentioned
If I click directly on the toolbar icon the regular menu pops up but it is almost entirely broken ...

Do you observe the same behavior when accessing OPIE via Tools > OPIE?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Apollo702 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:33 am

It is exactly the same if I access it that way. I played around with it and I noticed a few strange things:

1. The information popup for "export extension preferences" is totally dead.

2. Under "Configure" the "Opie" information window makes the sound- but fails to appear.

3. "Get Extension Info" and "Get List" are clickable- but nothing happens.

I suppose I could use it to restore old preferences- but that isn't what I am doing today. I want to create a backup of existing preferences. It seems to me that the profile database is rather fragile and I find it to be a lifesaver to back it up during the good times. That way when it inevitably goes haywire I have instant backups or I can easily export setups onto other computers. I have done it many times and this time I am scratching my head...
Apollo702

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:48 am

It would be a little bit of work, but you can manually export/import the preferences.

There is a file located at profile/prefs.js that contains all the Fx preferences for both the browser itself and all extensions. This is a plaintext file that you can edit with any text editor. You could make a copy of that file and remove all the non-extension preference lines. When you are ready to import (restore), you can copy the contents of the edited file into the prefs.js of the profile you are using.

Unfortunately, I don't know if you can copy them into the current file without first removing the existing extension preference lines. (In other words, I don't know how Fx would handle duplicates. Would preferences further down the list overwrite previous ones or just ignore them? It might take a little experimentation).
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to OPIE