OPIE2 vs. FEBE > Restore > Preferences

"Ordered Preference Import/Export" discussion and bug reporting.

OPIE2 vs. FEBE > Restore > Preferences

Postby VLM » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:02 pm

Greetings! I am migrating to a new system. I have just created my first CLEOpack, yeah! So I know that when I install Pale Moon on the new system (Win 7 Pro), I can use CLEO to install my existing extension set in one act. (Come to think of it, do I first need to install CLEO in the new Pale Moon installation, or ...?) Anyway, now I am considering how to get my preferences to the new installation. My FEBE backups all include preferences, permissions, etc. If all I wish to do is move my preferences, as is, to the new installation, should I just use the FEBE restore feature after installing the CLEOpack? Or is there some benefit to using OPIE for this purpose?

Also, is there any way to restore my status bar "just as it is", with positions, added spaces, and all?

Thank you!
VLM

Re: OPIE2 vs. FEBE > Restore > Preferences

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:17 pm

You do not need CLEO to restore the cleopacks. In fact, CLEO only creates the pack - it cannot restore them itself. You can restore the cleopacks the same you you install any other extension (you used to be able to simply open them with File > Open file... but that no longer seems to work. Now you have to use Tools > Add-ons > (gear icon dropdown) > Install Add-on From File).

If you want your new instance of PM to look and act just the same, the easiest way would be to just manually restore a full profile backup on the new machine. The downside to this, however, is you will also transfer any "bloat" to the new install. If you use OPIE to transfer your preferences, you'll be left with a leaner, faster browser but you wont have the original status bar layout.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks Chuck. By bloat, do you mean, for example, that if I installed, then removed certain extensions, causing their preferences to be recorded in PM's preferences database, those preferences would likely not have been removed when the extension was removed, thereby becoming bloat?
VLM

Postby VLM » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:52 am

Also, I can't seem to get OPIE2 to do anything. When I click on the icon, nothing happens. When I'm in the Options dialog and click on a button ... any tab ... nothing happens. Is there something I need to know, to get started?
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:35 am

Many (most?) extensions leave their preferences behind when uninstalled. Fx itself may not delete its own deprecated preferences. That's bloat.

I don't believe OPIE2 works in PM. You should just stick with OPIE.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 am

Oh, I thought you suggested OPIE2, but a prior version. (I have 1.0.4). I can switch back to OPIE, no problem. What version for PM?
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:52 pm

You want OPIE v5.0. The current PM is based on Fx 24ESR, so any extension that works in Fx v24 should work in PM. You can try later versions, but no guarantees :wink:
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Thank you. So ... I have installed OPIE 5.0, and I have exported the relevant extension preferences. This gives rise to another question: What about preferences not related to extensions? I don't really wish to lose all of those, whatever they may be. OR ... are preferences specific to extensions?
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:49 pm

The prefs.js file holds preferences for extensions and the browser itself. There can be hundreds (mine has over 1500 entries) of items contained in that file. I can't think of any preferences you would want to keep except those that belong to your extensions. If any are missing that PM needs, it should create them.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks. I just don't know what's in there. If it contains all sorts of user-set preferences, then I suppose I would just have to recreate them. Are about:config changes stored as preferences? I do set several of those, but doing so manually is a very quick task.

Is there a way to read that file/data?
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Yes, about:config is your prefs.js contents.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:01 pm

Ohhhhhhh! So are you saying that the only added prefs are (a) user-initiated about:config settings and (b) extension-initiated settings? If so, then that renders the choice between FEBE prefs and OPIE prefs a no-brainer. It's obviously OPIE -- to remove bloat, as you said in the first place. :) And now, FINALLY, I begin to comprehend why people test new extensions in an alternate profile set up for that purpose.

Thank you!
VLM

Return to OPIE